Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Screen D

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2011
Georgia
I found a method that is similar to antfuzz's that works well.
You can really use anything that fits into the mouthpiece and just push the center out
to put it back together i just put it on ang ego battery and pushed it down really hard.
didnt need to sand or anything.
Have only dont this to one though (from ikenvape)
didn't rewick it or anything, just wanted to see it i could do it

Has anyone tried to use ss mesh for wick on these?

Betcha the one you have is of the first batch variety. All four of the ones I have from back in January have been taken apart many times with no problem at all. The new ones are a PIA to get apart.

I had planned on trying a SS mesh, but have been so pleased with my rebuilds using the atty rope from COV, that I probably won't change anything.

iuseaspork

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2011
ohio
So this is what I got when I hammered out the broken one.... I used the biggest hex key that would fit to hammer it out:

IMG_20120225_104640.jpg

Thinking the guts could be modded into a syringe tank...?

vapspaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
SC
Okay kids. I have documented some helpful data while re-coiling one of my Stardust. I finally got my wire in last night and tried the 32ga first with a doubled up old E2 wick with 5 wraps. It came out a tad bit to low to safely use so I went back at it this morning. I figured I would document a little info for anyone that might be interested. I used the 80 NiCrA wire that WillyB had suggested earlier in this thread. I did a few dry burns after I finished the assembly to burn off any manufacturing oils but I still got a little funky taste for a little while but it's gone now. So far it's working great and I finally have a warmer vape from my Stardust.

One thing I strongly recommend is to never attempt to rip one of the 2nd batch Stardust apart after consuming a few adult beverages. One will have a tendency to get ...... thus allowing the testosterone to flow in an ill attempt to establish dominance over said Stardust. :facepalm: Other than a now leaking crack in the tube and a few popped veins in the forehead everything went pretty good! :lol: But in all fairness my tube already had several micro fractures in it straight out of the box.

BTW... Robbie I wish I would have thought about your latest idea last night. lol I did use this technique this morning however and it worked pretty good. I would strongly recommend that folks remove the cup seal and metal washer before they do this. The metal washer slide over to the side and I cut a small notch in the cup seal while tapping it out this morning. It still functions perfectly fine. Well.. other than the crack in the tube from last nights ummm... errr... adventure. :)

This is the wire I purchased. I bought the 32, 34 and the 36ga to give me lots of options to play with. Thanks WillyB
PnJ Resources, LLC : Nichrome 80

4 wraps around single thick wick measured approx. 1.32" long
5 wraps around double thick wicks measured approx. 1.41" long

These are my findings. Measurements taken with my Provari.

32ga
4 wraps around single thick wick = 1.3 ohms
5 wraps around double thick wick = 1.2 ohms
Needless to say my Provari didn't like these guys. lol

34ga
4 wraps around single thick wick = 2.0 ohms

36ga
4 wraps around single thick wick = 2.3 ohms

FYI... The factory installed coil looks to be a 36ga wire that had 4 wraps and ohmed out at 3.2ohms. Material unknown.

Randyrtx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2009
Cedar Park, TX
Was curious to try this out, so I used a 5/32 nut driver (shaft size is 0.28"). It fit in snugly with the squeegee ring. I had a bit of trouble with the center post going ....-eyed while tapping it out, but I did manage to get it out. After removal, the metal washer had gotten wedged down into the center a bit.

I think a small improvement would be to use a vise or clamp with a short 1/4" rod instead of hammering. That would help to keep even pressure on the center post while its pushed out.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

I think a small improvement would be to use a vise or clamp with a short 1/4" rod instead of hammering. That would help to keep even pressure on the center post while its pushed out.

I'm waiting for someone to say that they used a Reload Press for 45 Long Colt to push out the Guts of a Stardust.

iuseaspork

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2011
ohio
I might be wrong but you can measure the resistance of your wrapped wick before you install it. From my limited understanding resistance is determined by the length of the wire and the gauge.

To an extent... Once installed the connection point changes a little and the process might short some coils.

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
I might be wrong but you can measure the resistance of your wrapped wick before you install it. From my limited understanding resistance is determined by the length of the wire and the gauge.
You bring up a good point, but all these ohms readings should be guide and not some sort of end all to the perfect vape. The meters I (and I assume most) use aren't all that accurate anyway. I've always tested at the connector anyway.

I've got to say your tubing method makes the most sense all the way around. :thumb:

Without the tubing, removing the silicone cap and using a wooden dowel rod would probably be less destructive. A vice with either method is a nice touch.

We should also start calling these Vision eGo cartos. WTH is 'Stardust'? LOL

LiteCig has the LR versions.

EgO vision Clear-o-mizer

The one I've been using is at ~2.3Ω.

Some here also, the standards.

Vision EGO | Virgin Vapor | Electronic Cigarette Organic e-Liquid | Electronic Cigarettes

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
If I'm not mistaken GotVapes is the one who coined the name Stardust. It's my understanding they imported these from China and then resell to other vendors. But of course I could be wrong.
Well I'll be quite honest with you I refuse to buy anything from GotVapes. I find their creative language and inferences to be quite disingenuous at times. And the renaming is downright annoying.

:)

RockinRobbieSF

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2012
San Francisco, CA
www.lusternia.com
Well I'll be quite honest with you I refuse to buy anything from GotVapes. I find their creative language and inferences to be quite disingenuous at times. And the renaming is downright annoying.

:)

I think the renaming is funny. "Stardust" has definitely caught on! Not sure what you mean by "creative language and inference" but they put a positive spin on everything they sell but wouldn't you as a vender?

vapspaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
SC
I recoiled another one last night for the wife and it came out perfect! On this one I used 34ga on a double thick wick with 5 wraps. The thing is a friggin fog machine and the flavor is friggin awesome. I had to steel another tube from a new carto to replace the cracked tube I had on mine. The leak was driving me crazy. lol

Oh.. And I'm using my vise in the shop to press these out with. Works like a charm. And yes zoid, I did think about using my Rock chucker but my 44mag dies wont work. lol

34ga NiCrA80
5 wraps around a double thick wick = 2.4 ohms

Edit:
BTW... I bought some of the LR's from Litecig and the lowest one turned out to be 2.8 and the other 4 where all over 3.1 ohm.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread