Status
Not open for further replies.

cliffy15

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Honolulu, HI
Tried to do it in my Spheroid on a 2mm coil with PnC and I had to yank quite hard. I don't know if I'm choking the wick though... currently testing. The good news is that the wicks hold its shape better with a full strand (I was using looped half stands previously).

That must be one big toothpick.

neneda8u.jpg

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
Nice Pictorial Q! Again, I come to expect such greatness from you sir.

Here is where I struggle: How in the world do you manage two strands of yarn through the micro coil? I notice you are wrapping around a toothpick, which if I recall is your norm. How does the toothpick compare in size to a 1/16" drill bit? I typically use the drill bit to wrap my coils, and I get nice results with one strand. There is no way I could pull two strands through that, which leads me to believe that the diameter of your coil must be bigger.

Hey D, Thanks buddy!

Yes, you have noticed right ~ all my build pictorials are with toothpicks ~ for the simple reason that I don't have drill bits ;) And thus I've no clue what size these are vis-a-vis a drill bit. However, these are standard regular toothpicks picked up from Walmart and the likes - If that makes any sense. And the S'n'C yarn smoothly goes thru doubled over.

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
HERON: Cotton Ball Wick
cool-045.GIF

~Same coil ( micro), just dry-burned and replaced the S'n'C with Cotton Ball

COTTON WICK INSERTED & JUICED:

WICK POPPED THRU THE CHAMBER LID:

FIRING THE BUILD:

THOUGHTS:
Used a little more cotton than I normally do. Kept the wick-tail longer (popping out of the 'lid'). Half a day now, vaping perfectly! Cotton ball always chunks more vapor than S'n'C ~ so it is here. TH remains the same, but Flavor seems to be more pronounced. Not immediately, unlike the S'n'C. Took a while (around 7-10 minutes of vaping) then started to taste fantastic. The juice is the same ~ Stinky Canuck's Pink Poison, which is a 70/30 PG/VG sweetish blend.

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
Some more setups of the HERON...

Setup by Chad:
------------------------------------------
The GP Heron (Spheroid on steroids) is designed as an evolved version of the overtly successful GP Spheroid - and it's intended to 'hold' juice with a filler material, like the GP Fluff, so that this duo are the only 100% leak-resistant RBA under all weather conditions, including the vagaries of flight and altitude changes.

I've now vaped three full tanks without any filler material holding the juice. No dry hits, no gurgling. I was sceptical at first, but it works and it works great. Much like when using filler material, when it goes dry, it's empty. There wasn't any indication it was getting low.

There's only one tricky part , and that's the wick. It needs to be thin enough in the coil to vape well, but thick enough to completely seal the hole in the topper off. It's slightly annoying to wick properly, but IMO it's worth it. I have no issues using the fluff in the tank and I never have. But I also like to experiment and try new builds and new things. Sometimes they work, and sometimes they don't. Some builds have pros and some have cons, so you keep trying new things and push onward. Ive done the regular style builds in the Heron already, with the topper and without the topper, with cottons balls or cotton yarn ( I even tried silica ...) and so far this way of setting it up is my favourite. Also, getting 4mls of juice in the tank is nice because the space normally occupied by the fluff is freed up for juice.

I'm just using a simple 1.4ohm 30g micro wrapped on a 1/16 drill bit. (sorry but even though I'm in canada i don't know what 30g wire is in metric off the top of my head)

I'll start with pictures of all the Heron parts broken down. Sorry if they're a little blurry, I dropped my iPhone 5s in water a little while ago and sometimes the camera isn't the clearest up close now.

The Gpin is slightly different in the Heron when compared against the PAPS X1.5, this is because much like the Spheriod the top part of the pin needs to stretch over and make contact with the positive screw post.

Once it's assembled it screws in to the bottom of the base.

Next you need to add the AFC ring. There is a slot in the ring and three small holes in the side of the Heron. Unfortunately I can't measure them but if I had to guess I would say they are somewhere around 1mm.

At this point you would attach your coil, and generally attach your wick before putting on the drip well ring (at least that's what I'm calling it). Because of how I'm wicking this, I need to have it on before hand.

This is the annoying part with this build, but with a steady hand and some fine tipped tweezers it's not too bad.

Something i should stress here. There really isn't need to run the Heron without fluff, and I don't think the need for it is a flaw in the atty at all or anything like that. I'm simply showing that it can be done.

Also, as I said above, getting the wick just right is a little annoying. It needs to be thin enough at one end to wick properly to the coil, but thick enough to plug up the hole but not too thick because you'll choke the juice flow.

Wet it with some juice and let it soak down to the coil.

The top cap and air tube. Notice it's held on at both ends with o-rings, and they fit perfectly, not too tight and not too lose. Can you imagine the OCD if we couldn't line up engravings???

The tank.

Fill your tank up.

The bell on the air tube seals with the small red oring you so you want to make sure there is nothing obstructing it, I just push the wick over to the side.

Vape.

The GP Heron (Spheroid on steroids) is designed as an evolved version of the overtly successful GP Spheroid - and it's intended to 'hold' juice with a filler material, like the GP Fluff, so that this duo are the only 100% leak-resistant RBA under all weather conditions, including the vagaries of flight and altitude changes.

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
Some more setups of the HERON...

Setup by Idaholandho:
GP HERON : LOOP BUILD - Choose your wick

Hello GP Family, I thought I would take a bit of time to give Heron Lovers an alternate build if looking for a quick and easy way to be different and enjoy a fantastic vape experience! This particular build is a favorite on mine on the Spheroid and I love the wick on many atomizers as it wicks perfectly delivering plenty of juice to the coil every time!

My pictures aren't sexy, but, my hands are :)......man hands from working for a living and I don't own Photoshop, so please bear with me as the result is worth it. I will include a few photos that may get some a bit more familiar with whats inside.

I happen to love the following build and for some they saw me do much the same on the Spheroid, it's timeless older brother. I thought that this build was a good place to start for many GP lovers and had in mind those that have not owned the Spheroid. I also believe the experienced will also love this straight forward setup.

First of all, Thank You Perseas and the GP Family for the opportunity and the stunning Atomizer, The Heron.

To my door this is what was included in the package and suspect it will be delivered the same to all. GP was very generous with the inclusions! Through builds so far I have found that many wick choices work fantastic in many builds.
QpynYTe.jpg
z3wOmc6.jpg

For this build I found 2mm Ekowool, 1mm Ekowool and SnP cotton work fantastic and wick fantastic.
The pictures will show 1mm eco being used, .30ga kanthal and VapourArts V2 fluff(the only fluff to buy!)

Here you will find a 4 inch wick medium, a straightened paperclip and a piece of torched .30 kanthal. I torch the kanthal on all coils as it removes the spring in the wire to hold a better shape. The paper clip is not necessary but, will allow you to wrap the coil very tightly, a good support when attaching the coil/wick to the Heron base and a space to adjust the loop size when complete. It will also keep the coil from choking the wick for optimum juice flow.
JAS6p6Y.jpg
YDyhKac.jpg

First, loop your wick twice around your finger - some prefer to make a figure eight and fold the loops together. Next, position the completed loop on the paperclip and looping your coil. I start the wire from the front with 1/2 - 1 inch of a tail down and then start my coil going through the loops as shown. Positioning the completed loop on the paperclip and looping your coil. I start the wire from the front with 1/2 - 1 inch of a tail down and then start my coil going through the loops as shown.
4sY6DnA.jpg
v27U7vW.jpg

3xZGosy.jpg

When complete your coil should look like this - tails out! I take the time to align the coils, taking a bit of pride in my work :)
6zcDUtM.jpg
AdkoJ9U.jpg

This is where the paper clip comes in handy, attaching to the Heron base. Lay the coil in the center of the posts to align the wire so that when it is tightened down, the wire follows clockwise with the screw.
3X1k91p.jpg
GoP934j.jpg

Turn the loops over on the other side and do the same. When the coil is attached recheck both posts and make sure no part of the coil is touching the posts, they can be very close but no touchy!
ux8KHZp.jpg

I now take the time to cut my V2 fluff. I have found that 114-127mm x 17-18mm is my optimum size. It also depends on the fluff density and how tightly you wrap the post. With the above I am able to get 3.5-4.0ml of 50/50 juice in. The fluff can be trimmed very easy by cutting the top of the wrap off while on the post to level it. I like to fill it with the syringe and tamp the fluff down with a screw driver. Filling the tank is easy enough moving the needle in a circle starting deep and slowly pulling out while filling. I soak my fluff.
wWkTEGA.jpg
8yAYYb5.jpg
amm3le8.jpg

Everyone always wonders how long should their wick be or how big should the loops be? This is a simple measure, I take the fluff tank and place it where it would be seated on the base. I then eyeball the wicks/loops to see the approximate height. Simple, works :).
yf2ApFH.jpg
After the loops are sized I immediatly check the ohms and for hot spots/legs. I have found the closer the coils the less chance of hot legs to post.
q1h9ht5.jpg

This particular build gave me what I wanted 1.3-1.4 and once a bit of coil break it may settle around 1.5
lcZlUmB.jpg

Now you have a couple choices with the tails, leave them and run them inside the base or cut them short. I would recommend that you at least "dip" them in the well. This will at least and should keep any runaway juice from the airway. Hard to tell but the second picture has the wicks just dipped.
02OJoeE.jpg
XzVNAJI.jpg

Once your all done, soak the wick in in some juice and have a few test fires and watch the plumes rise!
uzpYLoT.jpg
ct04Vbx.jpg

Ready to Vape!
K2qb5Hr.jpg

I have done several other builds and have only failed one as the wick could not keep up with the coil heat. This is a consistent standing setup that will be true to the high standards of the Heron.
I have to say, I absolutely Love the Heron. I am pleased with the simplicity of the device. The flavor is beautiful along with the vapor production.
Rating the flavor it is as good as any atomizer I have used. The vapor production is incredible. It also is subjective to the juice make up. I will tell you I am quite pleased with the vapor and throat hit of this magnificent atomizer.
I have built this particular build in many variations of wick medium and wire gauge. I have loved them all.
This is an atomizer that I will have to have two of.
Perseas, George and the GP Team have done it again with amazing work. Thank you.
UgXq2up.jpg

The only advice I can give the GP Team is, Don't turn the cnc machines off! :)

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com

Why the GP-Heron?
B'coz it leap-frogs the awesomeness of its older sibling (Spheroid) manifolds. And here's my 15

1. It's a Flavor magnifier, irrespective of whatever wick & coil you build
2. Vapor booster, a petite chamber with wider outlet tube does wonders
3. Built-in Air Flow Control, which is functional and designed not to weep
4. Built-in Hybrid Connector with industry standard M20/1 threads
5. Built-in GPin. A unique connector that self-adjusts to whatever battery/atty size
6. Optional 23mm Hybrid Adapter (M21/1 thread) to seamlessly mount on Paps-X
7. Optional 510 adapter in the works, to make it compatible with any mod
8. Easier to refill, b'coz it's tank section sits with O-rings (not screwed)
9. Larger tank capacity (22mm OD). Easily takes-in over 3.3ml of juice
10. Easier to build, b'coz of larger deck real estate and terminal screws
11. Proposed Dripper Conversion Kit in the works
12. Proposed Titanium Tank section, which can be swapped with the stock SS
13. Comes with a FREE matching Drip-Tip (and whatta drip-tip it is!)
14. Stunning looks. Comes in Two-Tone finish (feels like Titanium)
15. Priced right (at 125 € it is a better deal than many hi-end RBAs)

Bottomline: If you have the Spheroid ~ you'd love this Big Brother as well. The Heron is everything the Spheroid is ~ and cranked-up further! And if you don't have a Spheroid yet, pls Go - Get It√ B'coz, there's none other in this category which does it better. Besides, the Spheroid is unavoidable if you own a 14500 mod. And so is the Heron ~ totally unavoidable if you have an 18xxx mod, and who doesn't have one nowadays?
happy-016.gif

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
Another way with the HERON...

GP Fam, I would like to follow up on a couple of things with my build and the Heron.

First, I love the Heron. With the amount of fluff I am using I have no issues with filling it with 4-4.5ml of 50/50 juice. It seems to never run out!
On my last build I used the loops as seen. I decided to cut the loops a bit off center and leave one side of the 2 strands of ekowool a bit longer. I placed the shorter side into the juice well and threaded the longer through the hole on the top cap as shown.

NOTE - wrapping 2 seperate strands of medium together and placing two through the cap and two in the well mimics this method.

93gnZoZ.jpg
2HTxiGl.jpg

Perseas mentioned that the wick dimension through the cap hole makes a wicking difference, and he is correct! So far 2 SnC strands, 2-3mm silica and 2mm strands of ekowool wicks FANTASTIC!.

One last thing and I will include in blog that has had little attention is the AIR FLOW CONTROL!
What a great addition.the AFC ring is simple, moves freely but tight enough that it will not move unless moved. The polished ring finishes the base of the Heron off with tasteful beauty. It is amazing and will be loved by the masses of vapors that begged for it on the Spheroid. Although I am in the camp that likes a bit of a tighter draw as the Spheroid offers, I happily set the AFC on the Heron with two of the holes open leaving one closed.
Lfeq0q9.jpg

The AFC needs to be talked about more!
I am still in love with the Heron and will be picking another up because as Perseas knows D. And she gets her way with GP and will soon be negotiating for mine :).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread