GP Series by VapourArt - Official Thread for GP Spheroid, GP PAPS, X, GP Piccolo, GP SnP and more - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwj63

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2013
NC, CA, Thailand
Found this today. I know it is off topic, but this forum has historically been receptive to the topic of safety and has conducted itself in a thoughtful and adult way.

So here goes: Electronic cigarette flavorings alter lung function at the cellular level | EurekAlert! Science News

When reading a press release such as this there are three things to take away. What did they say. What didn't they say. What can be inferred from that. All that they said was that with some of the flavors they saw impaired function when the cells where soaked in eliquid. They said that they didn't see that when using only the nicotine or the VG/PG base alone. That's it.

Everything else below is what I infer from that.

First: the fact that it was announced as an alert is troubling. It prejudges how the general public will interpret these findings. Second: there is no mention in the "release" concerning other important variables. Soaking cells in juice is different than actually vaping. They say they are following up with a more representative study. We know, at least anecdotally, that temperature matters when vaping. How this will factor into their follow up work is not mentioned. No harm with only the base in the results talked about here is different than no harm when the base is heated to some temperature and then lung tissue is exposed the vapor. It's easy to jump to conclusions that unflavored juice is safe based on this one thing, the problem is it isn't a conclusive (and absolutely NOT predictive) result.

I have not seen the full study or the conference proceedings, I'm not sure anything has been published in a peer reviewed journal at this time or if it will be published in the future. I have some buddies at UNC, I'll impose on them to ask around.

For the purposes of this forum I think these studies and the results are critical. It doesn't matter if *we* dismiss them out of hand based on our own prejudged opinions. The truth, for good or ill, is that much of the future of 'vaping' will be determined by how these research activities are translated into public health policy by those least able to do that: Politicians. This fact has been the bane of my entire career in the public health field.

*edited for clarity*

Last edited:

Jerry J

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2013
Portland, OR
Found this today. I know it is off topic, but this forum has historically been receptive to the topic of safety and has conducted itself in a thoughtful and adult way.

So here goes: Electronic cigarette flavorings alter lung function at the cellular level | EurekAlert! Science News

When reading a press release such as this there are three things to take away. What did they say. What didn't they say. What can be inferred from that. All that they said was that with some of the flavors they saw impaired function when the cells where soaked in eliquid. They said that they didn't see that when using only the nicotine or the VG/PG base alone. That's it.

Everything else below is what I infer from that.

First: the fact that it was announced as an alert is troubling. It prejudges how the general public will interpret these findings. Second: there is no mention in the "release" concerning other important variables. Soaking cells in juice is different than actually vaping. They say they are following up with a more representative study. We know, at least anecdotally, that temperature matters when vaping. How this will factor into their follow up work is not mentioned. No harm with only the base in the results talked about here is different than no harm when the base is heated to some temperature and then lung tissue is exposed the vapor. It's easy to jump to conclusions that unflavored juice is safe based on this one thing, the problem is it isn't a conclusive (and absolutely NOT predictive) result.

I have not seen the full study or the conference proceedings, I'm not sure anything has been published in a peer reviewed journal at this time or if it will be published in the future. I have some buddies at UNC, I'll impose on them to ask around.

For the purposes of this forum I think these studies and the results are critical. It doesn't matter if *we* dismiss them out of hand based on our own prejudged opinions. The truth, for good or ill, is that much of the future of 'vaping' will be determined by how these research activities are translated into public health policy by those least able to do that: Politicians. This fact has been the bane of my entire career in the public health field.

*edited for clarity*

We all know about the Diacetyl issues and certainly we all know that cinnamon and cloves are really bad stuff on the lungs. I would tend to think and AVOID any of the "tank cracker" juices since if it messes up plastic then what does it do to the soft tissues of your lungs.

I could have predicted the outcome of the study just from being around vaping for 2.5 years. I do love the custards and vanilla flavors but I won't have anything to do with them if they don't specifically indicate that they are diacetyl free.

Zbeast08

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2013
Wilson, NC, USA
Hello GP Peeps and friends. I finally decided to get my GP family together for a family shoot.....missing a few spheroids that are in microsticks and a couple others but these are my jewels and I thought I would share a picture with all the soldiers ready to Vape including King TiX!!
d06901968b0f8c4065ccf2e3e2e4c348.jpg

d55feff7fc1ea734f0d368af0628eb34.jpg

Edit: I need one more Heron!! They are easy low maintenance attys, just one more!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jwj63

ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2013
NC, CA, Thailand
I'll follow up a bit here.

The problem is there is knowing as in having evidence based on experimentation under controlled conditions that can then be replicated by others. Then there is knowing as in "We all know".

What troubles me is that there are a lot of people making statements that are meant to sound authoritative concerning vaping. Candy flavors are getting kids addicted to nicotine. Vaping is more unhealthy than smoking. These things sound serious. If they were known to be true they would be serious. The truth is these statements aren't worth the time it takes to read them.

Worse yet, at least to me, is those who say that vaping is safe. Even the vaping is a safer alternative people are on thin ice. That statement just can't be substantiated. Vaping is DIFFERENT than smoking. If you stop smoking you're going to feel better. That says nothing about vaping. I certainly hope vaping is safer. I really do. I'm also prepared to accept the fact that it may not turn out that way.

OK, enough about this. I'm really looking forward to seeing what P has up his sleeve for new stuff. A Paps v4 with the piccolo style switch would just make my day.

Last edited:

Zbeast08

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2013
Wilson, NC, USA
I'll follow up a bit here.

The problem is there is knowing as in having evidence based on experimentation under controlled conditions that can then be replicated by others. Then there is knowing as in "We all know".

What troubles me is that there are a lot of people making statements that are meant to sound authoritative concerning vaping. Candy flavors are getting kids addicted to nicotine. Vaping is more unhealthy than smoking. These things sound serious. If they were known to be true they would be serious. The truth is these statements aren't worth the time it takes to read them.

Worse yet, at least to me, is those who say that vaping is safe. Even the vaping is a safer alternative people are on thin ice. That staement just can't be substantiated. Vaping is DIFFERENT than smoking. If you stop smoking you're going to feel better. That says nothing about vaping. I certainly hope vaping is safer. I really do. I'm also prepared to accept the fact that it may not turn out that way.

OK, enough about this. I'm really looking forward to seeing what P has up his sleeve for new stuff. A Paps v4 with the piccolo style switch would just make my day.
hi John,
I totally understand.....I used to take a hard stance that vaping was better for you than smoking but the more I said that, the more I realized that I really had no proof!! I did know what smoking analogs would and could do to your health, I do know that I do not have that raspy smokers cough anymore, I do not stink or reek from stinky cigs and overall I do feel better, smell better(sometimes) and Vape in my house without anyone holding their nose about about a stinky cig but oh my, that smells like butterscotch and only last a couple minutes then it's gone!! I personally think it will be a long time of studies, statistics, etc, before there is concrete evidence that vaping is dangerous to your health and I , like you, will face the consequences if their are negative effects from vaping....we all know the negative effects of smoking, right?
I have been vaping for 2 years and have certainly seen some health benefits that I can contribute to not smoking cigs and can say that vaping got me off the stinkies within 1 month of starting vaping with the ego kits!!
Anyway, my 2 cents worth, Vape On Safely!! Peace Out!

jwj63

ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2013
NC, CA, Thailand
Hank. Funny, I never used to even notice the smell of the stinkies. Now I gag if I'm anywhere near someone smoking. I think we are the last of a dying breed. Nicotine addiction is going to go the way of the dodo bird. Smoking is the past, vaping is the present, neither is the future.

Do you find you have clean your windows a lot? I get a huge PG/VG buildup. I need to use heavy duty cleaner to cut through it.

hi John,
I totally understand.....I used to take a hard stance that vaping was better for you than smoking but the more I said that, the more I realized that I really had no proof!! I did know what smoking analogs would and could do to your health, I do know that I do not have that raspy smokers cough anymore, I do not stink or reek from stinky cigs and overall I do feel better, smell better(sometimes) and Vape in my house without anyone holding their nose about about a stinky cig but oh my, that smells like butterscotch and only last a couple minutes then it's gone!! I personally think it will be a long time of studies, statistics, etc, before there is concrete evidence that vaping is dangerous to your health and I , like you, will face the consequences if their are negative effects from vaping....we all know the negative effects of smoking, right?
I have been vaping for 2 years and have certainly seen some health benefits that I can contribute to not smoking cigs and can say that vaping got me off the stinkies within 1 month of starting vaping with the ego kits!!
Anyway, my 2 cents worth, Vape On Safely!! Peace Out!

perseas

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2011
Athens, Hellas
www.vapourart.com
Thank you very much Qorax! You're so right when you said that small devices help us to vape in public, without drawing attention and they are quite convenient, much like a cigar in size. I use exclusively the Piccoloid for the past 4-5 months, moving everywhere lightly with some spare batteries in my bag. I use it right now while I am typing, I hold the Piccoloid with my right hand when I ride my bike (it helps to change the gears), left hand when I drive the car, anytime and anywhere. I feel it as an extension of my hand :)

yankeebobo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2012
Western MA
It will take years of study in order to duly provide proof of vaping safety. That’s a fact. Lets face it, how are studies conducted? One thing we know is that smoking dangers are, in part, proven by the very deaths they cause. We don’t know how many deaths vaping will cause for a while. The obvious reason is that the impact and direct connection between vaping and life longevity wont be known for decades to be substantiated proof.
Add to that the fact that lab testing is something of a mystery. Look at the various sources of the test results. Look at then governments that are involved. And look at the pockets that are being lined in many areas.
Here is one thing I do know as a fact. I don’t need science, a health study, or the government to tell me one way or another. I FEEL like I’m in my 20s again. I switched almost 5 years ago. Within months I was breathing better, tasting better, smelling better (both me doing the smelling and others smelling me). As a bonus, my doctors all say that its better in the sense of what we DO know. The chemicals in eliquid are less and identifiable on one hand compared to those in the analog. They will tell me nothing would beat me quitting it all. But they will tell me its much better.
How much better? Maybe our generation will struggle to know. But if I feel better, I’ll keep doing it. Until one day I wake up and say I’m ready to quit vaping as well.

Augmented Dog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
Okay...
So,
I am a GP fan and appreciator.
I am a master craftsman and artisan in my own field; I've spent decades earning the right to boast that appellation.
I am the proud owner of a Paps 2.5 Lux 18650, a Paps 3 Lux 500, a Paps X 1.5 Lux, a Heron V1 and a Heron 1.5.
I am in love with the care and craftsmanship of all of these devices. The expression of pride in execution and production is Rolls Royce exceptional.
Currently, my favorite rig is my Lux 2.5 paired with my Heron 1.5.
Others may boast their devices, GP delivers the finest there is, in my not so humble opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread