GP Series by VapourArt - Official Thread for GP Spheroid, GP PAPS, X, GP Piccolo, GP SnP and more - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

perseas

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2011
Athens, Hellas
www.vapourart.com

Thank you very much Stan for this fast and thorough review!

I have two observations:
1. We have designed the v4 to operate better with 2 - 2,5 mm coils. So a bigger coil doesn't offer always better results, only an increase in temperature (depending on the resistance of course), which reduces the flavor. For a flavorful vape, a 2 mm coil is the best.
2. The Spheroid v4's AFC ring follows the same minimalistic design of the GP Heron v1 and v1.5. When we want to adjust the air flow, we unscrew a bit the tube, we find the optimal position by turning the ring till the slot comes under the Heron engine insignia for a full open position or where we like it and then we lock it. We did that because most people put their AFC at a certain position once and then they forget it and we wanted to avoid additional seams as well. Spheroid 4 is a mini Heron for many reasons :)

Last edited:

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
Thank you very much Stan for this fast and thorough review!

I have two observations:
1. We have designed the v4 to operate better with 2 - 2,5 mm coils. So a bigger coil doesn't offer always better results, only an increase in temperature (depending on the resistance of course), which reduces the flavor. For a flavorful vape, a 2 mm coil is the best.
2. The Spheroid v4's AFC ring follows the same minimalistic design of the GP Heron v1 and v1.5. When we want to adjust the air flow, we unscrew a bit the tube, we find the optimal position by turning the ring till the slot comes under the Heron engine insignia for a full open position or where we like it and then we lock it. We did that because most people put their AFC at a certain position once and then they forget it and we wanted to avoid additional seams as well. Spheroid 4 is a mini Heron for many reasons :)
Thanx @perseas - the Spheroid V4 is indeed stunning! both in operations and looks.

My usual coils are 2.4mm with all my atties, including the Spheroids. With 28AWG. Around 1 - 1.2 Ohms. That's my sweet spot. I sometimes play around with 3mm dia - especially when I need to wrap less, but that's not my norm.
:)

Fyla

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2015
Croatia

Little update to setup Q. I use KGD cotton and i found that it needs to be cut slightly inside of the diameter of Spheroid. I cut it 1mm inside, so when i place the cup above the wick is inside the walls. Photo isn't the best but i think you will get an idea. This way wicks perfectly with KGD.

IMG_1574_zps8brlhkle.jpg

melodicstealer

Mar 12, 2013
Malaysia
Thanks perseas..my spheroid arrived today..but im still struggling in coiling this to get the best flavour..currently using 2mm coil with 28 gauge and get 1.1 ohm..flavour is a bit dull compared to my origenny mk2..but i'll try again tmrrw..i tried 4 times already today with kanthal 26 and 28 ohm ranging 0.7 to 1.2..might as well try with clapton kanthal 28 also later..thanks again for your unique atty (atleast i love the design) ;p

perseas

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2011
Athens, Hellas
www.vapourart.com
Thanks perseas..my spheroid arrived today..but im still struggling in coiling this to get the best flavour..currently using 2mm coil with 28 gauge and get 1.1 ohm..flavour is a bit dull compared to my origenny mk2..but i'll try again tmrrw..i tried 4 times already today with kanthal 26 and 28 ohm ranging 0.7 to 1.2..might as well try with clapton kanthal 28 also later..thanks again for your unique atty (atleast i love the design) ;p

Give it a few days time to" break" the metal. It is brand new and I suppose you have cleansed it with a mild detergent or an ultra sonic bath, although we have passed every unit thru ultrasonic bath. I have faced the same behaviour in every version of Spheroid when it is brand new and it hasn't been heated for some hours. There is a possibility for some liquids to behave better with higher resistance like GVC. Muted flavour can result when the edge of the coil touches a post as well.

Reactions: Cucco

melodicstealer

Mar 12, 2013
Malaysia
Give it a few days time to" break" the metal. It is brand new and I suppose you have cleansed it with a mild detergent or an ultra sonic bath, although we have passed every unit thru ultrasonic bath. I have faced the same behaviour in every version of Spheroid when it is brand new and it hasn't been heated for some hours. There is a possibility for some liquids to behave better with higher resistance like GVC. Muted flavour can result when the edge of the coil touches a post as well.

No i didnt cleaned my spheroid ;p ..very much excited while i dont have much loose time today..im tight with works :((

perseas

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2011
Athens, Hellas
www.vapourart.com
No i didnt cleaned my spheroid ;p ..very much excited while i dont have much loose time today..im tight with works :((
Ok, put all the metal parts in boiling water with a drop of detergent or boil them in hot milk for a while, without the plastic parts and the O-rings and then build it again. You'll be amazed with the difference in taste :)

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
This time around I didn't "wash" my Spheroid V4 (the Piccoloid V2 version). Wicked & coiled it straight out-of-the box. No issues, stupendous flavor, as expected from a Spheroid.

Btw, once again let me reiterate ~ this is the Best Spheroid ever. The Spheroid V4. Sorry for continually harping about it... but it is so sleek, curvaceous, sexy and cute. Besides being a vaping champion!

Firestorm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Chicagoland
Here are some random thoughts and comments on my experience with the GP Spheroid v4 over the weekend:

1) I love how easy it is to fill the Spheroid v4 when running fluffless. It’s easy to see how much liquid is left and it’s great that you can use a dropper bottle to refill it. When I run with fluff I always let my Spheroid tubes sit on a paper towel after filling to make sure that they don’t flood before screwing them on the base. With the v4 without fluff I don’t have to wait and I don’t lose any liquid that would otherwise soak on to the paper towel.

2) Vapourart makes my favorite mechanical mods, but I have a bunch of other mods that have flat top caps that cannot be paired with older Spheroids due to the air flow on the 510 connection, so I’m loving the fact that I can now use these with the Spheroid v4.

3) I seem to accidentally turn and close the AFC when I screw the Spheroid v4 on and off of mods. It’s not a big deal because I notice it right away. Fortunately, the AFC is easy to turn and there’s enough tension that it doesn’t otherwise accidentally move. I haven’t had any problems finding the AFC ring and turning it. I only have problems finding and aligning the AFC hole if it’s dimly lit.

4) I’m so used to gripping the top of my 18350 tubes with Spheroids when I vape that I occasionally accidentally block the Spheroid v4’s AFC with my hand. This is common with other side air flow atomizers so it’s not a big deal, I just have to change my habits.

5) I love the included drip tip. I’ve actually been looking for this style drip tip in black for a while now. I like the white, but I will be buying some black ones when available.

6) Using a max VG juice I seem to get better wicking if I point my wicks straight up and put on the topper so they rest against the juice channels as opposed to setting my wick horizontally through the wick channels. I may go back to fluff without the topper for these thicker juices.

7) Using a 50/50 blend of GVC I don’t notice a difference in taste between running with fluff or fluffless nor do I notice a difference in taste between v3 and v4. I think that I get better wicking without the topper, so I’m currently running my v4 with GVC with fluff.

8) The brass 510 center pins on my Spheroid v4s seem to protrude more from the bottom of the connector when fully tightened than my older Spheroids. They apply more pressure on the GPin spring but I haven’t had any problems with them.

9) One thing that I love about Spheroids with fluff is that they don’t leak given changes in temperature or air pressure. I bring a handful of Spheroids with me to work and I put them in air tight plastic containers. If I try to do this with a KFL or another atomizer that relies on pressure it will leak. I was concerned that a fluffless Spheroid would leak in this situation, but no, I can still put them in an air tight container and they don’t leak.

10) It’s odd receiving a Vapourart order without a GP Fork (not that I need any more).

perseas

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2011
Athens, Hellas
www.vapourart.com
Thank you very much for the feedback!

If we sent you v4 with brass pins, it is a mistake, they should be silver plated. Please send an email at info@vapourart.com and tomorrow we shall send the correct ones.

The wicking is controlled by the quantity of cotton, for thick liquids put thinner cotton strips. That's why we created small holes on the topper.

The air slot is fully open when it is positioned below the Heron engine insignia.

When you want to open to refill, hold the Spheroid from the place between the AFC ring and the base housing above it, just below the seam with the tube to avoid a repositioning of the AFC ring.

No need for a GP fork with the Spheroid v4 :)

The Spheroid was always a very good atomizer and we increased its versatility for various vaping preferences.
The biggest improvements are the 3 mm air hole between the posts, the 4 mm AFC slot, the easy assembling, the hybrid connection, smaller chamber, ability to work with filler or as a tank and a better precision machining. I think that these changes affect the vaping in a very positive manner compared to the previous versions. Another vaping difference of v4 regarding the previous versions is the stronger throat hit even with fully open air.

I am typing these vaping a Piccoloid.

47f662aa6b2cd88272b68b23d1d24dd3.jpg

Firestorm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Chicagoland
If we sent you v4 with brass pins, it is a mistake, they should be silver plated. Please send an email at info@vapourart.com and tomorrow we shall send the correct ones.

I thought that I had read that the GP Spheroid v4 comes with a silver plated post, but in one of the instructional videos I saw that it was brass, so I thought that perhaps I was mistaken and it was normal that my Spheroid v4s have brass adjustable center pins. Thank you for spotting that in my previous post and for your offer – email sent!

The wicking is controlled by the quantity of cotton, for thick liquids put thinner cotton strips. That's why we created small holes on the topper.

For my older Spheroids I build coils with a 1/16 in (1.59mm) ID. For the Spheroid v4s I’ve built 2mm coils. Instead of trimming my wick I may go back to the smaller coils with thinner wicks to see if I experience the same flawless wicking that I do with my older Spheroids.

The air slot is fully open when it is positioned below the Heron engine insignia.

I’ve seen you state this before, but that’s not quite the case with mine. It's not a big deal, but you can see that the AFC slot is just right of center of the aeolipile on mine in this picture with it fully opened:

077FB4C3-AD27-4DEB-A407-25DD24D2A867_zpsrbyz49wg.jpg

No need for a GP fork with the Spheroid v4

The white drip tip and the lack of fork holes on the bottom of the base are very helpful to me to quickly identify the v4s when lined up with older Spheroids. ;)

Last edited:

perseas

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2011
Athens, Hellas
www.vapourart.com
I thought that I had read that the GP Spheroid v4 comes with a silver plated post, but in one of the instructional videos I saw that it was brass, so I thought that perhaps I was mistaken and it was normal that my Spheroid v4s have brass adjustable center pins. Thank you for spotting that in my previous post and for your offer – email sent!

I’ve seen you state this before, but that’s not quite the case with mine. It's not a big deal, but you can see that the AFC slot is just right of center of the aeolipile on mine in this picture with it fully opened

We shall fix this as well tomorrow, because it is almost midnight here, no worries.

perseas

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2011
Athens, Hellas
www.vapourart.com
I just checked, my Spheroid V4 also has brass pin... Not that i have any issue with it...
No problem, just send an email with your order number to info@vapourart.com referring the issue and we'll send you the silver plated pin.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread