Not open for further replies.

PJReid

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
@No ID - Accidents happen and yes, you can safely rinse off all of the parts and let them dry before using. If you had a little water in the tank, that could account for the sizzling but it isn't uncommon to get that (you might have gotten a little juice into the center hole.) Back when I using the similar eGo tanks, I never measured the liquid. I just filled it up (avoiding the center hole) and wiped off any excess liquid. The bubbling and sizzling are likely the result of getting liquid into the center hole (which doesn't hurt anything but can make vaping noisy. :)) After you fill the tank, attach it to the base and blow through the mouthpiece with a paper towel over the base to remove any liquid that might have gotten into the center hole.

If you are satisfied with your one or two puffs, that's great. It is a personal preference and all that matters is that you are satisfied.

2q2k394.jpg

5o5dp5.jpg

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
Ugh -- so I made a total rookie mistake, am feeling stupid, & am looking for recovery steps if possible, and I have a question or two now that I've actually tried vaping.

My Evod 2 starter kit arrived Saturday, I got it charged & filled Sunday & tried some vaping. Long story shorter is that I partially unscrewed the tank while there was still juice in it resulting in a spill. It was easy enough to clean off my hand & desk, & I got the battery safely unscrewed & out of the way, but how to I clean the parts above the battery? I found a YouTube video that seems to indicate rinsing the base, coil, and Evod 2 in very hot water & drying thoroughly is sufficient -- is that correct? If so, that's something I can definitely do!

I don't actually know anyone who hasn't done that sooner or later. YouTube is mostly correct. You don't really need to rinse the coil, and it needs a day or two to dry if you do. You can use a tissue to wipe off the coil and battery. Clean the rest of the tank with water and you're good.

There is no way to equate vaping puffs to cigarettes. For what it's worth, nicotine seems to be the least harmful of the components of cigarette smoke - the best evidence indicates it's about as bad as caffeine. You'll know if you get too much. You'll get dizzy, nauseated and headachey long before you get enough nicotine to be a problem.

Sizzling and bubbling are fine. They're the sound of your juice being vapourized. You should be getting some vapour, though. If vaping is satisfying you for a bit it sounds like you are getting some. Can you taste it?

You're welcome to ask for juice recommendations in the General E-Liquid forum.

PJReid

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
As for e-juice in coffee, mocha, etc., yes there are many varieties out there. I only vape menthol and I DIY mine so I can't be of much help with directing you. Your local shop might be your best choice for that. If you head over to the General E-Liquid forum, I am sure you will get some recommendations from people who have tried and love flavors of that type. Enjoy!

PJReid

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
Oh, I thought of one more thing that might help you in refilling the tank. I always used the type of bottle with the needle nose on top. That is much easier to use with this kind of tank as the tip is small and precise and will allow you to fill around that dreaded center hole. :D Droppers are not very precise when precision is necessary.

$_57.JPG

No ID

Sep 11, 2017
Whew -- as always, thanks! One of the advantages of the Evod 2 kit is that I had a second one to use while waiting to find out if my mistake had irreparably ruined the first :)

So, the sizzling/bubbling sounds are normal -- good to know! They aren't particularly loud at all -- I hear them while my spouse sitting next to me doesn't. PJReid, thanks for the better how to fill diagram -- I now know I did it correctly & didn't overfill. The juice I'm using is Black Note NET sampler pack -- the juice comes in little 10 ml glass bottles each with its own little eyedropper, so filling the Evod 2 was much simpler than expected for someone like me who isn't particularly coordinated.

I think I may have solved the mystery of little-to-no vapor (which leads to a question): I think I'm taking baby puffs so small there just isn't going to be much vapor. The reason I'm taking baby puffs is because it feels pretty harsh to my throat, which is surprising to me since I'm a long-term heavy smoker. The juices I'm currently using are 50vg/50pg. If I've correctly understood what I've read, I'm wondering if trying something with more vg might feel less harsh? Or maybe vaping (as opposed to smoking analogs) takes some getting used to? Could it be the nicotine concentration (I smoked "ultra lights")? Or maybe I'm vaping wrong?

Ugh -- my spill yesterday was my own fault. The first juice I used was very light colored, and after vaping most of the day with a max tank capacity of 1.6 ml, I couldn't tell in dim light whether there was any juice left or not, so I thought I'd unscrew things to look. SMH -- lesson learned about how to hold the Evod 2 when doing that in the future.

FWIW, other than the spill, things seem to be going well so far -- I'm a smoker looking for harm reduction by transitioning to vaping. I know it's early yet, but today I cut my analog smoking by 75%, which makes me happy, and my Evod 2 tank still looks to be 85% or so full. My wallet is definitely feeling better already :)

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Juice will feel harsher with more pg. Give it time before you buy more juice, there is an adjustment period. Oddly taking short hard pulls will help smooth it out. Uncap your juices and let them breathe for a couple of hours, helps too. Not overnight or all day, can evaporate flavor.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
You can try more VG in your liquid if you want to. The cheapest way to find out might be to get some VG (you can get USP grade VG cheaply from a pharmacy, even Walmart carries it. You'd be diluting nic and flavor down a bit, but it might be the easiest way to find out if more VG is for you. Letitia has some great suggestions as well...

Anna

PJReid

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
@No ID - you are making progress and that is what counts. Just keep on keeping on and it will become easier and easier. What level of nicotine is in the juice you are using? 50/50 pg/vg might not be the right mix for you but you are early in this process so time will tell. It sounds like you are doing quite well, actually. Yay for that!

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
The juices I'm currently using are 50vg/50pg. If I've correctly understood what I've read, I'm wondering if trying something with more vg might feel less harsh? Or maybe vaping (as opposed to smoking analogs) takes some getting used to? Could it be the nicotine concentration (I smoked "ultra lights")? Or maybe I'm vaping wrong?

PG and nicotine both contribute to throat hit (harshness). The first thing to try is adjusting one of those. If that doesn't work, or if you have to lower your nicotine to a level where you're not getting enough to keep you off the cigarettes, you can look for juice with nic salts. Nicotine salts are processed differently and result in a smoother nicotine with less throat hit.

PJReid

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
@No ID, if I recall correctly, I suggested 12 mgs of nicotine since you smoked ultralights. I knew that the juice you ordered was 50/50 VG/PG and figured that would be okay unless you have a sensitivity to inhaled PG (many people do.) I still think that you are making great progress from where you began. *thumbs up*

Reactions: stols001

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
@No ID, which coils are you using? One of the first recommendations you get when your vape is too harsh is to turn down the power. You could do that either by using a higher-resistance coil in your EVOD or by putting your tank on your other mod. If you can tell us the resistance of the coil you're using, we can work out the wattage you're getting now so you'd know what settings to aim for.

Reactions: stols001

glointhedark

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
Antelope, CA, USA
You are doing great. My daughter and I preferred 50/50 pg/vg ratios when we were using Evods (and still prefer that ratio with our Nautilus Mini tanks), but the Evod can and does handle 65/35 vg/pg ratios, and even 70/30 vg/pg, so you have some play room.

We have never used Black Note eliquids. However, many tobacco flavors need to steep for a bit to "come into their own". It does not seem that you have had time to steep, which may be contributing to the harshness you are perceiving. Please look up "speed steeping" for various methods to move the process along. Once you have a bit more time vaping under your belt, and time to build up a bit of a "stash" of eliquid, steeping may become a moot point. I usually mark the date that I received shipping confirmation of my order on the label with a Sharpie, put the eliquids in the toolbox that is my vape box, and let them sit. Some vendors put a "born on" date on the label, indicating the date that the eliquid was mixed to your specifications. Others just mix and ship - I figure that the date I received shipping confirmation is close enough to the "born on" date. With a bit more experience, you will find out how long to steep eliquids so that they are right for you.

Please do not forget to shake the bottle of eliquid each and every time you fill or top off your tank.

Have fun. Play with your vape. Enjoy.

Reactions: PJReid
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread