GS Air Coils/Istick Basic

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuctifano

Aug 23, 2016
Hello! :)

Very new to this so go easy if I ask something obvious - no such thing as a silly question though eh!?

I've been off cigs for 3 months thanks to istick basic. I wasn't a heavy smoker, maybe a few at night etc so was recommended the istick basic and it's worked a treat ....so far.

The last three/four coils I bought (from the vapeshop I bought the device) have been dodgy. At least I assume/hope so. They are 0.75 and i'm getting intermittent burning/dry taste, poor flavour and cloud quality is sometimes ok sometimes poor.
Previous coils have been ok with just letting them soak in the tank for a few mins. I've tried dropping some liquid in top/on side holes but same intermittent dry hit. The coils don't seem to be burning out as they can be ok a few puffs later or after tightening/loosening the coil. I've only ever used liquid from two places and both have been great previously.

So i'm hoping it's just dodgy coils and the next batch I've ordered will be ok but i'd be very grateful if folk could give me any pointers!
I really don't want to change device as it suits my needs and is easy to carry around
One thing I was wondering was would a 1.2 coil make any difference in the istick basic?

Any advice received with thanks!!

Reactions: BrotherBob

jjcordone

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2011
Rhode Island
It sounds like you hit a bad batch of coils. What you described is caused by not enough juice getting to the coil. Try sticking a common pin into the cotton in the sides to loosen it up and allow it to soak up more juice.
This has worked for me in the past.

fuctifano

Aug 23, 2016
It sounds like you hit a bad batch of coils. What you described is caused by not enough juice getting to the coil. Try sticking a common pin into the cotton in the sides to loosen it up and allow it to soak up more juice.
This has worked for me in the past.
Thanks!
Yeah it could be that. For example first vape of the day is fine for 3-4 puffs then seems to 'dry out'.
Would be interested to know if the 1.2 coil would make a difference?

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
What power are you running these at?** There is no difference in the juice wicking ability of the Air Coils, that's why the lower the resistance and the higher the watts, the more likelihood of dry hits.
The temp control 0.15 ones don't work at all. .. unless all my mods are broken, which they're not.
Anyway. I buy them (1.2ohm) by the 25 from Fasttech. Not had one bad coil, nor have the people I pass them on to.

**OK... just re-read. You are running them at the voltage of the battery in your iStick.
Oh...yup... that's guaranteed dry-hit soon enough. 23 watts to start off with. Disaster. :eek:

I pay 90p each. You should buy an absolute load of them. Those tanks (the ones over 2ml) will not be on sale pretty soon and I expect the coils to disappear soon enough after that.

Last edited:

fuctifano

Aug 23, 2016
What power are you running these at?** There is no difference in the juice wicking ability of the Air Coils, that's why the lower the resistance and the higher the watts, the more likelihood of dry hits.
The temp control 0.15 ones don't work at all. .. unless all my mods are broken, which they're not.
Anyway. I buy them (1.2ohm) by the 25 from Fasttech. Not had one bad coil, nor have the people I pass them on to.

**OK... just re-read. You are running them at the voltage of the battery in your iStick.
Oh...yup... that's guaranteed dry-hit soon enough. 23 watts to start off with. Disaster. :eek:

I pay 90p each. You should buy an absolute load of them. Those tanks (the ones over 2ml) will not be on sale pretty soon and I expect the coils to disappear soon enough after that.

Thanks for the reply.
Why do you say the tanks/coils won't be on sale much longer?
Also, you say disaster - Shirley the device should work no problem with the designated coil?

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Thanks for the reply.
Why do you say the tanks/coils won't be on sale much longer?
Also, you say disaster - Shirley the device should work no problem with the designated coil?

The tanks over 2ml will be illegal to sell from November 2016 in Europe. But maybe you're not in Europe?! (Sorry, my bad...)
Sadly, a lot of coils are not up to the manufacturers claims. That's the e-cig industry.
You can get dry hits at as low as 16w with the 1.2ohm which claims to do 30w.
I run mine at just under 15w all day long.
Maybe the 0.75 is marginally better, but I don't see any difference in the design of any of them. Eleaf are like this.... shoddy at times, brilliant on other occasions.

Reactions: GranFumador

fuctifano

Aug 23, 2016
The tanks over 2ml will be illegal to sell from November 2016 in Europe. But maybe you're not in Europe?! (Sorry, my bad...)
Sadly, a lot of coils are not up to the manufacturers claims. That's the e-cig industry.
You can get dry hits at as low as 16w with the 1.2ohm which claims to do 30w.
I run mine at just under 15w all day long.
Maybe the 0.75 is marginally better, but I don't see any difference in the design of any of them. Eleaf are like this.... shoddy at times, brilliant on other occasions.

Yeah in Europe. Just looked up that European directive. what a bunch of - is swearing allowed on this site?!
That's bad news. Just ridiculous really. On the face of it it just looks like spoiling the fun for folk. I'll need to look into this further though. And looks like we will all need to stock up on tanks! Unless common sense kicks in!

Thanks again!

Smoke_too_much

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2016
Be careful with that pin because you might open a hole in the wick that will start your tank leaking and with the way that unit is built you may not notice it until it is too late and you've flooded your mod.

Try adjusting your airflow to be more closed as that normally helps draw more juice into the wick. Also look at the thickness of your juices. Higher levels of VG will make it thicker and harder to wick (though I myself like MaxVG juice, so these do work). Are you chain vaping because too many draws to close to each other can exceed your coils ability to wick juice to the coil. How long are you holding down the fire button because if held too long it can result in a dry hit. If you burn the cotton wick too much then subsequent vapes from it will all taste burnt so you want to be careful to avoid burning right from the start. If your hit starts to dry out then that's the time to stop and give your wick a chance to catch up.

fuctifano

Aug 23, 2016
Be careful with that pin because you might open a hole in the wick that will start your tank leaking and with the way that unit is built you may not notice it until it is too late and you've flooded your mod.

Try adjusting your airflow to be more closed as that normally helps draw more juice into the wick. Also look at the thickness of your juices. Higher levels of VG will make it thicker and harder to wick (though I myself like MaxVG juice, so these do work). Are you chain vaping because too many draws to close to each other can exceed your coils ability to wick juice to the coil. How long are you holding down the fire button because if held too long it can result in a dry hit. If you burn the cotton wick too much then subsequent vapes from it will all taste burnt so you want to be careful to avoid burning right from the start. If your hit starts to dry out then that's the time to stop and give your wick a chance to catch up.

Thanks - all good advice!
the pin ..... seems to be working ok. I was careful though as I didn't want to do any other damage. I'll check back later today/tomorrow and let you know how its going.
I tend to only have 4-5 puffs at a time and not what I would imagine would be called long draws. Current liquid is 50/50 (dusk from vamp vape - probably my favourite!)

Thanks again!

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Yeah in Europe. Just looked up that European directive. what a bunch of - is swearing allowed on this site?!
That's bad news. Just ridiculous really. On the face of it it just looks like spoiling the fun for folk. I'll need to look into this further though. And looks like we will all need to stock up on tanks! Unless common sense kicks in!

Thanks again!

Yes. For *me* the GS range will become my standard tank 9-5 (work). I am ordering 2 x GS M styled as well, making 4 altogether. The plan is to buy enough coils to make 4 tanks last a long time and then see what's still available. Personally, I can't see them banning the sale of coils (from China) so I'll top up my stash of coils (25-30 atm) in September to about 50. Those and my rebuildables should see me through a few years. Most vapers seems to use either factory coils or rebuild everything. Sometimes I need plug and play, it's unavoidable.

I had similar problems with my I-stick basic. the .75 coils performed as you described. I used the pin trick myself and it helped. The 1.2 coils worked better and lasted longer. Neither coil was willing to last a full week without being swapped out daily and rinsed. Ultimately though I needed to trade up to a single 18650 mech and an RDA to stay off the analogs.

Reactions: fuctifano

fuctifano

Aug 23, 2016
I had similar problems with my I-stick basic. the .75 coils performed as you described. I used the pin trick myself and it helped. The 1.2 coils worked better and lasted longer. Neither coil was willing to last a full week without being swapped out daily and rinsed. Ultimately though I needed to trade up to a single 18650 mech and an RDA to stay off the analogs.
Thanks - I've ordered the .75 hopefully they work ok! If not i'll try the 1.2. I'm wondering if they gave me 1.2 from the shop to start off with.
I really don't want to change device though!

fuctifano

Aug 23, 2016
There are other options. Many tanks will works in the Istick basic. I have used the protank II mini. The evod works as well but is almost too short.
Thanks for the reply.
In general I've been very impressed with the gs air. The protank 2 mini seems a bit more cost effective though. Would you say it's a s good as the gs air?

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Thanks for the reply.
In general I've been very impressed with the gs air. The protank 2 mini seems a bit more cost effective though. Would you say it's a s good as the gs air?

Man... NO, NO, NO.

The reason why we are all using mini Nautilus BVC and GS Air is because those old Protanks are a not very good. We/some of us were forced to rebuild them to get a decent vape.
1. Some coils were dead in 48 hours. All were quite bad after 4-5 days.
2. They are a weak vape, as you can't even get to 10w without taking a risk with dry-hits.
3. Now, in the shops they might be cheaper (£7 for 5 rather than £10 for 5) but if you are prepared to buy from China, you can get the most modern (and best value, because they last much longer) coils for about £5. Even Subtank coils are under £7.
I know a Vaper who buys one subtank coil a week for £5. :eek: This is the nature of the business and shops in our towns. He swaps out one from his 2 tanks, trying to stretch to one coil per fortnight.

So, he's spending £260 a year on the old square coils. I could sell him (pass on) a year's supply of the latest round ones for £80.

Technology has come on fantastically. Buying the old stuff is only worth it for curiosity or bargains! ;)

Nanny22

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2014
Michigan
There are two very long discussions here devoted solely to the GS Air and videos on how to rebuild them.
Here's a link, but there is also a lot of chatting in the thread, so if you'd like to skip to the end and ask for specific advice, someone will be happy to help you.
Eleaf GS Air Fan : Part 2
And here is a link to a detailed blog by one of our members - here you will see how to get the most from the GS Air coils: Recoiling The GS Air | E-Cigarette Forum

Last edited:

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
Thanks for the reply.

Two different animals. The Gs air uses .75 ohm coils and adjustable airflow...the PT mini is generally 1.8 ohms with a more restricted draw. Just depends on what you like. I guess the gs air tank will provide a harder/hotter hit if that's what you prefer.

I kind of grew up with the protank/evod series of tanks and still use them often. I have plenty of coils on hand and can rebuild one or clean it easily. When I bought the istick basic, I bought a second gs air tank and 5 more coils just because. But for my tastes, when I run out of the gs air coils, I'll probably just retire those tanks and use the pt minis.

Canadian_Vaper

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2015
ON. Canada
Hello! :)

Very new to this so go easy if I ask something obvious - no such thing as a silly question though eh!?

I've been off cigs for 3 months thanks to istick basic. I wasn't a heavy smoker, maybe a few at night etc so was recommended the istick basic and it's worked a treat ....so far.

The last three/four coils I bought (from the vapeshop I bought the device) have been dodgy. At least I assume/hope so. They are 0.75 and i'm getting intermittent burning/dry taste, poor flavour and cloud quality is sometimes ok sometimes poor.
Previous coils have been ok with just letting them soak in the tank for a few mins. I've tried dropping some liquid in top/on side holes but same intermittent dry hit. The coils don't seem to be burning out as they can be ok a few puffs later or after tightening/loosening the coil. I've only ever used liquid from two places and both have been great previously.

So i'm hoping it's just dodgy coils and the next batch I've ordered will be ok but i'd be very grateful if folk could give me any pointers!
I really don't want to change device as it suits my needs and is easy to carry around
One thing I was wondering was would a 1.2 coil make any difference in the istick basic?

Any advice received with thanks!!
Sounds like a wicking problem, maybe the cotton is too tight on that batch..

Try grabbin a pin/needle and poking in the wicking holes a few times, not too hard though you don't want to move the coil..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread