Status
Not open for further replies.

loft

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2011
CT
Do you want to get the most out of your IkenVape atomizer(s)? Did you start vaping with it only to find there's a foul taste or it's not to your liking? Just looking for general knowledge without having to sift through pages and pages ? Read on...

The learning curve to dripping is somewhat steep and hence why folks get discouraged early on. It need not be. The key (in my opinion) is a properly primed atty and when one requires to be topped off, to ensure the atty delivers at 100% or as close to as possible. Each atty is different and to add to the dilemma each liquid vapes differently. Do not fret, it is easy as pie once you mastered the technique.

First and foremost, blow it out! Your atomizer may or may not come with primer in it (IkenVape atomizers tend to come dry). To some, this alone can taste very nasty. While the primer is pretty much harmless (a mixture of PG/VG typically) it is generally not the best thing to vape. Unless you're a fan of vaping a flavor of motor oil. You are..., aren't you?

Jokes aside... After blowing out the primer from your new atty you will need to prime it with the juice you intend on vaping. The following list is the recommended quantities to get you off and running:
  • 510 = 5 drops, give it a one second burst, add 2 more drops and vape away. Top off with 2 drops as needed.
  • 801 = 8 drops, a short burst, add 2 more drops and vape away. Top off with 2-3 drops as needed.
  • 901 = 6 drops, and vape. Top off with 1 drop as needed.
  • 306 = 7 drops, 2 quick bursts, add 2 drops and vape. Top off with 2 drops as needed.
  • IO6 = 4 drops directly on bridge, let sit for 30 seconds, vape. Top off with 2-3 drops as needed.
[901 side note]: The 901 is probably the hardest atty to master, let alone drip with. It is very finicky between working good and flooded, one drop will do it. I know I have been there, but one that delivers extremely well when dripped properly.

[306 side note]: People usually remove the wick from 306's, they simply run too hot and will burn a wick faster than you can say Jack Robinson.

Knowing when to top off is key here:
  • too much and the atty floods. Not only will it flood, it will leak out the bottom.
  • too little and you burn the wick, leaving you with an atty that is no longer useful unless the wick is removed. You will never get rid of the burnt taste, unless you remove the wick.
  • some folks top off when flavor diminishes, IMO that is too soon and may (often) result in a flooded condition down the road.
  • topping off once you get the hot harsh taste, you are too late.
  • vapor production is the key factor for a top off. Knowing your liquid will let you know when to top off. It will occur 2-3 drags before the harsh taste, but depending on the liquid, 2-3 drags after the flavor started to fade.
Over time you will learn the juice that you use, your atomizer, and when to top off. If you are new to dripping or simply revisiting the experience, don't give up.

Hopefully the information in this post will help you truly get the maximum sensation from your IkenVape atomizers. Feel free to post questions, concerns, and issues here. Please try to stay on topic so we can keep this thread on point and clutter free.

Information contained in this post provided by Switched, gathered from other threads here on ECF, and thrown into one topic to make life easier for everyone. The information contained in this thread is a guide, not a rule. There will always be objections to said information in this post - but the general consensus is that these steps will bring you vaping bliss.

Last edited:

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
WTG Loftie :) I am glad someone is picking up the rear. I thought the text looked familiar (Jack Robinson) :lol: I am cool with that my good man and please do feel free to quote or use any info previously posted that got lost in the archives. Something I used to do but find very little time to do these days and, time will be a valuable commodity come Jan. Cheers :toast:

5cardstud

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2010
Wash
Great Post Loft. Very informative.
goodpost.gif

loft

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2011
CT
Any other tips for the 901? Do you find that they don't handle as well at higher wattages (compared to a 510, for instance)? Mine don't seem to like thick VG-heavy juices, either.
Honestly I don't use them that much; haven't in a couple months. When I do, I use a drip shield. If you get the ones designed for high voltage then they work fine.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
Any other tips for the 901? Do you find that they don't handle as well at higher wattages (compared to a 510, for instance)? Mine don't seem to like thick VG-heavy juices, either.
If you match the voltage to the resistance you will be fine e.g 2.5 for 5V, 3.5-4.5 for 6V. Wrt VG liquids, if undiluted then yes it will kill atomisers quicker. My 100% VG is the same viscosity as PG.

loft

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2011
CT
All my juice is diluted with 20% distilled H2O. PGA gives a harshness to the vape. I am at 8mg and TH is definitely there.
I still want to try your black cherry flavor you mentioned in one of our chats. Think it was menthol? But, idk... I never get any TH from any VG juices lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread