Status
Not open for further replies.

bfrie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2013
Circle Pines, Minnesota
I still don't have one of these so feel free to disregard what I have to say, but I kind of figured these would have the same flaws as the T3. It's basically the same design. My T3s with the stock wick last a few days before they start leaking, usually. Only solution I've found is to re-wick them with cotton, I do one wick in the coil and one loose wick on top, just enough to fill the hole and not choke it(or it will dry out and burn). Using that method I just re-wick once a week. My T3s work beautifully this way.

havent gotten into rebuilding/rewicking yet. seems confusing beyond belief

Faylool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Sweet Home, Oregon USA
I changed out my innards after one tank. It got to tasting dirty. I guess that's OK. I usually toss Atties and cartos if they don't taste good anymore. One tank is bad. Two tanks is acceptable and I'm Leary of trying for three. Just like clean. I got 20 innards in the coop. Less than a dollar a tank delivers. That's acceptable. I do wrap floral tape to block the airy draw around the connection and poke it if it needs more air. So it's quiet, doesn't spit and I like a tighter draw anyway. No flooding just guess all the ejuice uses up it's Atties fast. And the wicks weren't even black at all. Usually it's the wick? Or is it the coils . Must be the coils. I didn't look at them yet. It's ok it's not a high end item and glass is its draw for me

bfrie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2013
Circle Pines, Minnesota
i heard you can get past that after a few minutes of vaping, but still doesnt make it worth it. also heard hemp/bamboo is a better solution. would make me feel like too much of a hippy though, and too much work to enjoy a tank. id rather enjoy something straight out of the box then have to make all sorts of changes

bfrie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2013
Circle Pines, Minnesota
yep me too...yanked it out and threw in a new head, didn't wait for it to get better just chalked it up as a failure and lesson learned - less work is better when it comes to vaping. For me at least. Reason I'm staying away from RBA's, doesn't seem worth it to me.

but the more you read about them, the more you feel like you need them

STVNMR

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2011
Celina, TX
but the more you read about them, the more you feel like you need them

I gave RBAs a go for a while, but I really wanted to learn how to use ss mesh effectively after trying and hating cotton and bamboo wicks. There's a pretty steep learning curve to mesh wicks, though, and I decided it's not worth the hassle for the time being. The process of rewicking with something like cotton is pretty easy, but if you happen to be vaping on the go and get a dry hit or two with a cotton wick, you're stuck with the burnt taste until you can get back to your supplies and rewick/recoil your head. Plus the taste has always seemed off to me, even when I boiled it before rewicking.

can't help ya there but i'll just say on the 5th day of non-stop use mine lost all flavor...nothing fixed it except replacing the head but now i'm getting occasional burnt taste / dry hits...idk what the deal is.

I haven't been liking my Protank since about the second day or so either. I'm getting much less flavor than I did from my eVods, and the two heads I have provide drastically different draws. It worked alright with some Radiator Pluid for a couple days, but now I'm not even getting much flavor from that. Just like Ocelot, I really wanted to like this thing. Unless the additional replacement heads for sale can fix the flavor problem, I'll probably just keep this thing around for really citrus-y juices so I don't crack my eVod. What a shame.

GalenCopes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2012
Ocean Springs, MS
I guess I am lucky. I am very happy with both of mine so far. Great taste and no leaks. When they get dirty, I will absolutely rewick them with cotton cheese cloth. Only takes about a minute if I use the stock coil. I don't even boil. I just cut, twist and thread through coil.

Ocelot, what's up with the cold? I thought y'all were warm climate creatures.

Galen

FACE MEAT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2013
Costa Mesa, CA

nomorebutts4me

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2013
Punta Gorda, Florida
can't help ya there but i'll just say on the 5th day of non-stop use mine lost all flavor...nothing fixed it except replacing the head but now i'm getting occasional burnt taste / dry hits...idk what the deal is.

Since we received our ProTanks a week ago, we have thrown more fluid through it than all our eVods, MT3's and other assorted Clearomizers combined. It has held up like a champ and we haven't even cleaned them yet, (we are doing a 30/70 mix PG to VG). I can tell mine needs a good cleaning now, and I will follow proper procedure and know I will get a good result.

Darkhood, I love you to death, and I read your posts avidly but you can't just throw this unit out and say it is defective because of the inevitable gunk buildup on an old atty and some dry hits on a new atty. You do have to let Kanger atty's sit and prime for a while before using or you will get a burned taste, you can manually prime them before using but for the most part, it takes time for those stumpy wicks to absorb your juice.

Every atty has its expected curve of life, it starts out dry and hot most times, develops into a wonderous experience, then settles into a cycle where you get good enjoyment in between cleanings and eventually decays into uselessness. That's why there are replacement atomizers.

The people who are adding life to them by various means understand the learning curve and fussiness of such procedures, but basically the atomizer is a disposable product after a certain amount of use and YMMV depending on the eLiquids you are using and how often you vape, hold down the button while vaping, etc...

You say you changed the atty and the problem got worse and that it has to be a design flaw. That can't be. I can accept that maybe you got a less than desirable atty, perhaps underpowered for your setup, but to condemn a product without looking at all the angles and perhaps trying a third atomizer is not the best of solution.

Also, it seems everyone has rushed to "Modding" the airflow before giving this unit a chance to come in to its own. We have left ours completely stock and they have seasoned in beautifully.

All MT3's, eVods and Protanks have the same airy draw and different flavor that will never make them "The Other Guys" Carto. If you are crazy about your cartos, don't give them up for the airly draw and different burn of the Kanger tanks.

bfrie:
had my protank for a few days now. absolutely love it, havent put it down, until today

all day my protank has been flooding, causing extreme leaking, gurgling, lack of vapor, juice splashing in my mouth, harsh flavor etc. i tried emptying the thing out and refilling it twice, letting it sit, taking slower draws, faster draws, higher voltage, lower voltage, blowing juice out the head, etc.

the only solution that temporarily fixed the problem was blowing the excess juice out. when i did so a shockingly large amount of juice would come out. ive gone through 3 tanks today because of this, and most of it ended up on my evic and my fingers (messy cleanup)

is anyone else having this problem or found a solution? if not, i might have to take it out of my rotation until this problem is fixable.

Have you considered that your atomizer has just had it? A few days of constant vaping can wear out an atty in no time, especially with the darker fluids. Forgive me if I am wrong, but I didn't see in your description where you tried cleaning the atomizer out with hot water, or changing the atomizer. If my tank was leaking and spewing fluid all over the place I would suspect the atomizer being shot. I sure would give it a good cleaning and change the atomizer before I threw in the towel!

I know I am making myself a target here, but I think perhaps you are all being a bit severe about something you claimed to love just 12 hours previous. If it vaped beautifully before, it will vape beautifully again with the proper care, the ONLY variable being the atomizer, after all the rest is just metal and glass. Do you have bad atomizers now? They were good at first.... Are your replacement atomizers bad? perhaps, but a switch out should confirm this, sometimes you have to burn a few atomizers before you reach a conclusion the unit is defective.

Could you possibly explain to me how a metal and glass tank with no operative parts other than the atomizer "Go Bad?" Especially since it worked wonderfully at first? Did the metal warp? Did the glass impart some bad taste or Mojo? It's just a tank. If it worked at first and is now failing, IT"S THE ATOMIZER, the only variable in the setup. You could just as easily blame your battery! perhaps it's gone rogue and is deliberately destroying your vape. Perhaps it's kicking out ten times the voltage or none at all! Consider ALL the Variables!

The only legitimate complaint that I have seen is the complaint about it not operating in a cold room. This is something worth looking into and could be considered a good complaint.

As I said, I am drawing fire on myself for this but it's not as if I am a paid ardent supporter of Kanger products, they work for me but I accept there is a certain amount of "fiddling" that goes along with them. That includes replacing the atomizer, breaking it in correctly and knowing when it is failing and taking certain steps to correct it.

I refuse to give up on a product until I can rule out "Operator Error",(Yes, I was a Mac Tech), and undue wear and tear without due diligent maintenance. I suggest a good solution would be to return to the tutorials and read up on how you should have taken care of your unit, or at the very least, give a new atomizer or two a chance before trashing an entire line of products that you claim to have once loved.

Now I am going to "Duck and Cover"

Angel Wings

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
I Be's A Texas Girl
try an evod coil in the protank. do not swap the post and do not shave any off the gasket. just use an un-modded evod coil.

if one evod coil cuts off the air flow too much, use a different coil. i have a few evod coils that cuts off the air flow too much. the others are fine.

it certainly takes away some of the loose draw for me.

how i figured this out is, my base has issues. the threads are not deep enough for the protank or evod coil to screw all the way into the base. it was BAD haha it whistled like crazy. the evod coil stopped the whistling and it wicks better for me. no gurgling, no leaking, no dry hits so no dry pulls are needed and most importantly, it shushed up my whistling protank. hehe

it works PERFECT for me. much better than the protank coil. i use vg base, 10% pg based flavor and 5% distilled water. if you use a higher pg ejuice, it might not work for you. but worth a try. i run the protank with evod coil from here on out.

Last edited:

STVNMR

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2011
Celina, TX
try an evod coil in the protank. do not swap the post and do not shave any off the gasket. just use an un-modded evod coil.

if one evod coil cuts off the air flow too much, use a different coil. i have a few evod coils that cuts off the air flow too much. the others are fine.

it certainly takes away some of the loose draw for me.

how i figured this out is, my base has issues. the threads are not deep enough for the protank or evod coil to screw all the way into the base. it was BAD haha it whistled like crazy. the evod coil stopped the whistling and it wicks better for me. no gurgling, no leaking, no dry hits so no dry pulls are needed and most importantly, it shushed up my whistling protank. hehe

it works PERFECT for me. much better than the protank coil. i use vg base, 10% pg based flavor and 5% distilled water. if you use a higher pg ejuice, it might not work for you. but worth a try. i run the protank with evod coil from here on out.

I know several people had been able to successfully use eVod heads in their Protanks, but mine wouldn't fire when I swapped it. Perhaps it's just another quality control issue.

retrox

Flavor Chaser
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2013
NC, USA
I've vaped through around a dozen tank-fulls between my 2 Protanks and have no issues to report. Running a 80PG/20VG through one and a 100% VG through another. I suggest that anyone interested in getting the most out of these devices pick up some natural undyed bamboo yarn and use it to replace the loose silica wicks on the Protank heads. I'm using 4 strands (6mm) in my 80/20 tank and 3 strands (4.5mm) in my 100%VG tank. You can use the bamboo to fine tune the Protank's performance based on the build of your juice to halt *all* gurgling/flooding/dry hit issues.

With a bit of experimentation, you can determine the perfect amount of wick for whatever juice you use. Each time you clean and DB (on average once every 4 tanks for my 80/20 and once every 2 for my 100% VG), just swap your old top wicks out for fresh ones. With this minor modification, this is the most consistently performing and hassle-free bit of kit I've used thus far. I maintain these the exact same way I maintain my eVod's, and they're just as predictable, and they're glass AND they hold more juice.

I honestly can't find anything that's not to love about these things... I will keep looking...

bfrie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2013
Circle Pines, Minnesota
bfrie:
had my protank for a few days now. absolutely love it, havent put it down, until today

all day my protank has been flooding, causing extreme leaking, gurgling, lack of vapor, juice splashing in my mouth, harsh flavor etc. i tried emptying the thing out and refilling it twice, letting it sit, taking slower draws, faster draws, higher voltage, lower voltage, blowing juice out the head, etc.

the only solution that temporarily fixed the problem was blowing the excess juice out. when i did so a shockingly large amount of juice would come out. ive gone through 3 tanks today because of this, and most of it ended up on my evic and my fingers (messy cleanup)

is anyone else having this problem or found a solution? if not, i might have to take it out of my rotation until this problem is fixable.

Have you considered that your atomizer has just had it? A few days of constant vaping can wear out an atty in no time, especially with the darker fluids. Forgive me if I am wrong, but I didn't see in your description where you tried cleaning the atomizer out with hot water, or changing the atomizer. If my tank was leaking and spewing fluid all over the place I would suspect the atomizer being shot. I sure would give it a good cleaning and change the atomizer before I threw in the towel!

I know I am making myself a target here, but I think perhaps you are all being a bit severe about something you claimed to love just 12 hours previous. If it vaped beautifully before, it will vape beautifully again with the proper care, the ONLY variable being the atomizer, after all the rest is just metal and glass. Do you have bad atomizers now? They were good at first.... Are your replacement atomizers bad? perhaps, but a switch out should confirm this, sometimes you have to burn a few atomizers before you reach a conclusion the unit is defective.

Could you possibly explain to me how a metal and glass tank with no operative parts other than the atomizer "Go Bad?" Especially since it worked wonderfully at first? Did the metal warp? Did the glass impart some bad taste or Mojo? It's just a tank. If it worked at first and is now failing, IT"S THE ATOMIZER, the only variable in the setup. You could just as easily blame your battery! perhaps it's gone rogue and is deliberately destroying your vape. Perhaps it's kicking out ten times the voltage or none at all! Consider ALL the Variables!

The only legitimate complaint that I have seen is the complaint about it not operating in a cold room. This is something worth looking into and could be considered a good complaint.

As I said, I am drawing fire on myself for this but it's not as if I am a paid ardent supporter of Kanger products, they work for me but I accept there is a certain amount of "fiddling" that goes along with them. That includes replacing the atomizer, breaking it in correctly and knowing when it is failing and taking certain steps to correct it.

I refuse to give up on a product until I can rule out "Operator Error",(Yes, I was a Mac Tech), and undue wear and tear without due diligent maintenance. I suggest a good solution would be to return to the tutorials and read up on how you should have taken care of your unit, or at the very least, give a new atomizer or two a chance before trashing an entire line of products that you claim to have once loved.

Now I am going to "Duck and Cover"

here it comes: :sneaky:
i did indeed switch out the head after i burnt the first one out on the first day. i also mentioned cleaning the thing in both my op and several other posts on this thread. i also stated that none of that seemed to help. my battery is fine, you think i didnt test it on other tanks to make sure? the atomizer is NOT the only variable, as the base of the unit controls all the airflow, which could significantly affect the vape. also, no atty should be shot in 2 days, especially not a more high end one. also, as we all stated in this thread, a huge problem is that the upkeep on this thing is making it too inconvenient. if i wanted to clean a device every day and throw a new atomizer into it every 3 days, it would be perfect. alas, i dont want to do any of that, therefore i created this thread to look for solutions.

also, i posted in this thread that i managed to get it working again after a deep clean. you chose to ignore this and insist i never cleaned my tank. when you see a 4 page thread, its best to read through it to make sure the original issue has not been resolved already. i strongly believe it was simply having a bad day (yes inanimate objects can have those).

finally, i created this thread to ask advice from other vapers who had similar problems, not to be treated like i know nothing about vaping. in your entire post, you gave absolutely no advice to either me, darkhood, or any of the others who have had problems with this device. you simply said all of our complaints must be bogus since yours works perfectly. next time you make a post on a thread full of intelligent vapers, assume we went through all of the neccesary troubleshooting before posting on this site. i know i did, and im sure most of the others have as well. you can not criticize our complaints then simply give no advice other than "replace the atomizer."

edit: i mean absolutely no offense, i was just filling in the blanks for you :) im sure you see plenty of not-so-informed individuals on here and just wish to separate myself from them

Last edited:

alongo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
Protem, Missouri
Have had these for a week now and they work amazing. Did not like the airy draw so I blocked up one hole with a toothpick. Great draw, just right, but then it started gurgling and leaking. cleaned it out a few times but no better. took the tooth pick plug out and all leaking and gurgling stopped, works great again. I think the protank was designed with the airy draw for that reason. With the hole plugged it was sucking too much juice. Just my opinion. My vapeonly floods at the top of the tank were tip sit, it has a stiff draw and if I don't draw on it hard it will not flood. maybe we're all just sucking on these things to hard, lighten up and see if they don't work better. these things are not built by rocket scientist and all the juices are different. So each coil and juice combo is going to work differently. Find what works and stick with it. Also keeping all my bbc's at least half full seems to make a big difference, below half full is when the problems start. Just my 3 cents.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread