gurgling protank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angel Wings

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
I Be's A Texas Girl
Have had these for a week now and they work amazing. Did not like the airy draw so I blocked up one hole with a toothpick. Great draw, just right, but then it started gurgling and leaking. cleaned it out a few times but no better. took the tooth pick plug out and all leaking and gurgling stopped, works great again. I think the protank was designed with the airy draw for that reason. With the hole plugged it was sucking too much juice. Just my opinion. My vapeonly floods at the top of the tank were tip sit, it has a stiff draw and if I don't draw on it hard it will not flood. maybe we're all just sucking on these things to hard, lighten up and see if they don't work better. these things are not built by rocket scientist and all the juices are different. So each coil and juice combo is going to work differently. Find what works and stick with it. Also keeping all my bbc's at least half full seems to make a big difference, below half full is when the problems start. Just my 3 cents.

try a un-modded evod coil in the protank. it tightened up the draw for me and i get no gurgling or leaking. i use vg based juice. higher pg based juice may have problems becasue the evod coil wicks VERY well in the protank. haha big ole bubbles burping up. hehehe

STVNMR

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2011
Celina, TX
Have had these for a week now and they work amazing. Did not like the airy draw so I blocked up one hole with a toothpick. Great draw, just right, but then it started gurgling and leaking. cleaned it out a few times but no better. took the tooth pick plug out and all leaking and gurgling stopped, works great again. I think the protank was designed with the airy draw for that reason. With the hole plugged it was sucking too much juice. Just my opinion. My vapeonly floods at the top of the tank were tip sit, it has a stiff draw and if I don't draw on it hard it will not flood. maybe we're all just sucking on these things to hard, lighten up and see if they don't work better. these things are not built by rocket scientist and all the juices are different. So each coil and juice combo is going to work differently. Find what works and stick with it. Also keeping all my bbc's at least half full seems to make a big difference, below half full is when the problems start. Just my 3 cents.

I think you're right. The only thing I've done about the airy draw was screw down the Protank as tightly as I could, which generally stops the whistling. I've tried plugging the holes of T3s and eVods with my fingers, though, just to see how effective it would be before trying something permanent. A few draws later, they would both leak. These things are designed to work with the given airflow in mind, so plugging the air channels to fix the airy draw is likely just trading one issue for another.

try a un-modded evod coil in the protank. it tightened up the draw for me and i get no gurgling or leaking. i use vg based juice. higher pg based juice may have problems becasue the evod coil wicks VERY well in the protank. haha big ole bubbles burping up. hehehe

I'm going to give this a try, too, once I find an eVod head that'll fire on my Protank. The amount of air that the thicker eVod gasket blocks is probably small enough not to make a huge pressure difference and cause the tank to leak.

Aside from a tighter draw, have you noticed any change in flavor by swapping in an eVod head?

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
One good thing I discovered:
The hole in the mouth piece is wide enough to put a q-tip down and sop up some of the juice
cat-chasing-tail-smiley-emoticon.gif

Sikko

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2012
Salt Lake City, UT
please post if it works for you. what ratio your juice is etc. i am curious to see if it will work with a higher pg juice.

So I replaced the head on the protank with the EVOD head. Still whistles still airy plus now it sounds more like a carto lol snap crackle pop. I'll give it some time to break in and let you know what I think. This is a 50/50 juice. I'll try something with higher pg after this tank.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
Update: I got mine to stop gurgling! I pulled up the little cap on top of the wicks so it made better contact with the outer tube and no more juice is leaking in. I think it may have gotten pushed down when I screwed the bottom back on after refilling. It still likes to be airy (restricting the airflow didn't make it happy), but I'm not getting gurgling or a mouthful of juice.

I still don't love it, but the trip to the classies has been suspended.

cherrycakes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2013
Scranton, PA
Update: I got mine to stop gurgling! I pulled up the little cap on top of the wicks so it made better contact with the outer tube and no more juice is leaking in. I think it may have gotten pushed down when I screwed the bottom back on after refilling. It still likes to be airy (restricting the airflow didn't make it happy), but I'm not getting gurgling or a mouthful of juice.

crap I was hopin to get one for cheap xD

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
I just ordered one for 16.99
Before I read this entire thread, now I I wishing that I didnt buy it :(

I think the vast majority of people with Protanks are happy with them. I think you'll be happy you got one.

After a couple years of watching new things come out, this sounds like the typical first release issues with a new device. In a few weeks there will be hundreds more Protank users offering ideas and tips, and most will probably be very happy. If you were to compare the fiddling with this device to a Boge carto (just fill, screw on and vape) and a Genesis style atty (get your toolkit and torch out), it falls in the middle somewhere.

Thanks for all the ideas so far - I have a couple weeks before my updated ones come in, and by then will probably know enough to make them perform well with my juices and troubleshoot any surprises.

Angel Wings

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
I Be's A Texas Girl
I think you're right. The only thing I've done about the airy draw was screw down the Protank as tightly as I could, which generally stops the whistling. I've tried plugging the holes of T3s and eVods with my fingers, though, just to see how effective it would be before trying something permanent. A few draws later, they would both leak. These things are designed to work with the given airflow in mind, so plugging the air channels to fix the airy draw is likely just trading one issue for another.

I'm going to give this a try, too, once I find an eVod head that'll fire on my Protank. The amount of air that the thicker eVod gasket blocks is probably small enough not to make a huge pressure difference and cause the tank to leak.

Aside from a tighter draw, have you noticed any change in flavor by swapping in an eVod head?

yes i have. i get better flavor with the evod coil in the protank. i have not had problems with the evods firing in the protank at all. the problem i have is the gasket on some of them make the draw too tight for me. if evod coil makes the draw too stiff, i take that one out and put in another.

i now have 2 sets of evod coils...those that work in the protank and those that make the draw too stiff haha. the ones that make the draw too stiff are used in the evod.

Angel Wings

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
I Be's A Texas Girl
So I replaced the head on the protank with the EVOD head. Still whistles still airy plus now it sounds more like a carto lol snap crackle pop. I'll give it some time to break in and let you know what I think. This is a 50/50 juice. I'll try something with higher pg after this tank.

hmmmm it stopped my whistling haha and yes, the evod coil crackles and pops..but thats a good thing. it is wicking that juice hehe

i do not think the juice ratio would have anything to do with helping the whistling. dunno

what i do know is, using the same juice from the same bottle, mine whistles, my daughters doesn't. so it seems to be a hit and miss. appears to be all over the place on the production line. kanger needs to tighten that up.

check your base. does your coil screw all the way down into the base? the protank coil nor the evod coil screw all the way into my base. tightened down as tight as i can, i still have threads showing on the coil.

Angel Wings

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
I Be's A Texas Girl
I just ordered one for 16.99

Before I read this entire thread, now I I wishing that I didnt buy it :(

even though my little protank has issues, I LOVE IT. i have not vaped anything else since i got it. my beloved t3's are feeling neglected. the protank rocks now that i have tinkered with it and found that the evod coil works flawlessly in my tank.

Angel Wings

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
I Be's A Texas Girl

i have always flipped that little cup seal upside down. whether i was using a t3, mt3, evod or the protank. that is the first thing i do after soaking it when i get them in.

my routine when i first get them in is:
1. rinse under hot tap water
2. drop into PGA and let it soak about an hour
3. let the alcohol flash off and do a quick dry burn
4. drop into distilled water to rinse off the dry burn crap
5. flip the cup seal upside down
6. fill the tank, blow into it until i see bubbles burping up and vape

Angel Wings

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
I Be's A Texas Girl
First whistles, now burps! I wonder if it snores at night when everybody is asleep?

No wonder I like this so much before it's even here - we have a lot in common.

wellllllll, it whistled, so i put a evod coil in it. then it started crackling and burping bubbles hahahahahah hmmmmm will listen for snores tonight. my protank is a talented little fellow. he might just snore too. hehe

it does not gurgle or leak so that a good thing. as long as it keeps up good habits, its a keeper. leaking and gurgling i WILL NOT tolerate hahaha

I LOVE MY PROTANK...as long as it has a evod coil in it..hehehe

Last edited:

nomorebutts4me

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2013
Punta Gorda, Florida
here it comes: :sneaky:
i did indeed switch out the head after i burnt the first one out on the first day. i also mentioned cleaning the thing in both my op and several other posts on this thread. i also stated that none of that seemed to help. my battery is fine, you think i didnt test it on other tanks to make sure? the atomizer is NOT the only variable, as the base of the unit controls all the airflow, which could significantly affect the vape. also, no atty should be shot in 2 days, especially not a more high end one. also, as we all stated in this thread, a huge problem is that the upkeep on this thing is making it too inconvenient. if i wanted to clean a device every day and throw a new atomizer into it every 3 days, it would be perfect. alas, i dont want to do any of that, therefore i created this thread to look for solutions.

also, i posted in this thread that i managed to get it working again after a deep clean. you chose to ignore this and insist i never cleaned my tank. when you see a 4 page thread, its best to read through it to make sure the original issue has not been resolved already. i strongly believe it was simply having a bad day (yes inanimate objects can have those).

finally, i created this thread to ask advice from other vapers who had similar problems, not to be treated like i know nothing about vaping. in your entire post, you gave absolutely no advice to either me, darkhood, or any of the others who have had problems with this device. you simply said all of our complaints must be bogus since yours works perfectly. next time you make a post on a thread full of intelligent vapers, assume we went through all of the neccesary troubleshooting before posting on this site. i know i did, and im sure most of the others have as well. you can not criticize our complaints then simply give no advice other than "replace the atomizer."

edit: i mean absolutely no offense, i was just filling in the blanks for you :) im sure you see plenty of not-so-informed individuals on here and just wish to separate myself from them

Thank you for coming back at me and setting things straight, I was a bit defensive and deserved to be "taken to School" on the matter, my four Protanks are all operating as they should and have had no issues, perhaps it is my fluid ratio, 30PG/70VG or that I don't mind the airy draw, (it seems to heal itself on mine after the wicks break in), and I am running at 3.7 to 4.4 volts makes a difference. I am also an "light sipper" on the device, not taking great draws of vapor or chain vaping).

I did not mean to seem so "Know it all" nor did I mean to make you feel like you knew nothing, I was trying to add my perspective and I came off as being judgmental. I apologize for this behavior, I guess I felt like everyone was picking on my new best friend.

This does not justify my attitude at that time and I knew I was getting out of line because I was already preparing for the comebacks.... I should have thought things through and presented my thoughts in a manner that did not belittle others. Thank you for setting me straight.

I am going to remind myself that if you have preamble what you say with, "I'm going to get into trouble for saying this", perhaps you should rethink and find a way to present your argument so that you don't have to. Thank you again and I hope your Portank experience has improved!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread