Status
Not open for further replies.

gofishtx

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
Tomball Texas
Lol.. at least they don't keep thinking that he is his wife's father..

I have that problem with my husband. He is only about 8 years older than me, but he looks his age and I don't quite as much. (I havent gone grey and he has, etc.) If we go out to eat with his mother, they think it's she that's his wife and me their child..

That really really bugs my husband as it makes him feel like some sicko cradle robber... lol.
He shouldn't think that way, he should hold his head high and tell everyone you married him for his money:lol:

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
He shouldn't think that way, he should hold his head high and tell everyone you married him for his money:lol:

Hahaha. . He's taken to calling himself the redneck Hugh Hefner (? On spelling ) especially when he's in his easy chair in his camouflage lounge pants and matching bath robe.. (lol)

Nah, I do tell him not to feel that way because it's senseless to do so.. I figure not much longer I'll look older too.. God only knows how I've held out this long! Lol..

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
My husband doesn't feel like a cradle robber, he just likes it when his disgusting guy friends go off about how did he score such a lovely, youthful wife. LOL. But, I'm starting to go grey only it's not that iron grey, it really does kinda look like platinum highlights. I can't wait until it's all that color.

Fortunately for my ego, my kid consistently informs me his friends think I'm not a MILF. I keep pointing out I am running into his friends without dentures, but he's absolutely merciless.... :lol:.

I still figure it's fortunate to look old, (except for the GD waist thickening, I think there's not much that can be done about that other than plastic surgery. I weigh less than in my 20s, I have a freaking six pack on my extending abdomen, and even though I weight about 20 lbs less than I did in my 20s (I was not overweight, either) I STILL can't fit into certain clothes from my 20s, LOL. )

Good thing my therapist warned me about that. One time a few years ago I wandered into this outlet at the outlet mall and I couldn't figure out why I was surrounded by octogenarians giving me odd looks, until I noticed all the clothing was weird at the waist. I excited hastily, but give me a few more decades, I might NEED that outlet store.

I'm also glad I'm no longer going to have to shop in the Junior's department since sitting on my .... being ill gave me some time to gain some weight back, LOL. It's really EXCELLENT, I can use my c cup bras again.....:lol:

Anna

gofishtx

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
Tomball Texas
I would never join an organization because they gave me a free bag. I'm talking to you, NPR, with your ever-increasing frequency of pledge drives. At least AARP doesn't do THAT. Though, I think my husband hates them most due to something hinky with them, but I can't remember what it was and he left early today, I can't ask him....

Anna[/QUOTE]

It's not just the bag there are other reasons and their politics don't have to be my politics. I also joined the NRA, got a free bag from them too:cool:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Oh, I'm not saying anyone else shouldn't join for a free bag, and I know there are other benefits and savings. I'm just sayin I wouldn't-- I'm not that into bags though.

I do somewhat care about the politics of the organizations I join, but sometimes not enough to probably take advantage of the many things AARP has to offer. The elderly have gotten good at scoring things for cheap, and more power to them....

Anna

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I have been getting invitations to join AARP ever since just before I turned 55 ....that was 14 years ago. I guess it is never going to dawn on them that I am not interested.

They sure add a lot of unnecessary mass to the landfills :facepalm:

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
I have been getting invitations to join AARP ever since just before I turned 55 ....that was 14 years ago. I guess it is never going to dawn on them that I am not interested.

I fill their pre-paid postage return envelope with the crap they sent me and mail it back. It occupies their time some and costs them some money. At seventy-two, I've been doing that a while.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I fill their pre-paid postage return envelope with the crap they sent me and mail it back. It occupies their time some and costs them some money. At seventy-two, I've been doing that a while.
That's brilliant. I'm going to steal that idea.

gofishtx

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
Tomball Texas

They sent me stuff when I was 50 but I didn't join until last year when I hit 55 and just re-upped. I guess Anna thinks anyone over 50 is elderly:confused: Haha I am a very active elderly lady with my AARP card and cheap pancakes and imma get my cane and start poking people out of my way:lol:

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
After this last round of mods it's mac and cheese until the next gig. All gig money must go for vape gear. It is written!
My wife is from England and their saying is a little different. When we splurge on something, she will say "it's beans on toast" for the next few weeks...just a saying however, because I have never actually eaten beans on toast.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

gofishtx

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
Tomball Texas
My wife is from England and their saying is a little different. When we splurge on something, she will say "it's beans on toast" for the next few weeks...just a saying however, because I have never actually eaten beans on toast.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
When she finally does feed it to you, let us know how you liked it and if your new Corvette;) was worth it

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
You should! Beans on toast is delicious, it's really the only way I can handle eating beans, actually....

I think everyone over the age of 40 is elderly. I think that I am elderly, at 43. That doesn't make me no fun, but it does make me elderly. Seriously, I just never got out of the mindset that I'd be dead in my late 30s, so to me, all this is just gravy.

I will admit that for the most part-- when I have not been deeply ill and/or in pain, I do feel like quitting smoking has deducted 20 years from my life, but yeah, 40ish is where most people kinda hit their prime (IMO) and it's just a long, downhill slide after that.... Don't get me wrong, I suppose I am enjoying my elderliness more than I thought I possibly could.

And also, if you had told me in my late teens that one day I would be a mom with a kid, two dogs, and a house in the suburbs who also pays attention to coupons?? I think I would have not been too pleased about that, but things become what they do. I've often felt that peering into the future would just be a bad idea, as you're going to have to live it (or die it) eventually in any case. But yes, my former self would despise my current self, it is most certain. The whole time I was pregnant, I was like, terrified I wouldn't attach to it, because at the time I hated kids, now they're like my favorite folks to spend time with quite a bit.....

Anna

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Elderly is a category, and it's somewhat forced on one by society, I suppose. Don't get me wrong, I am one of the most immature elderly people I know, but by 40, you have lived half of your life or more, unless you are very unlucky (in either direction) so like I see it once you've crossed the mean, or the median, or whatever, you are on the elderly side. I don't consider it a dirty word, I don't feel that it defines me, but I do feel elderly. I suppose to put it better, I feel like an Elder (having worked with a Tribe for 10 years, that's kinda more the mindset you get, I really appreciate how many tribes treat their Elders, with great reverence and respect for their wisdom).

So, I am an Elder, and that allows me to do some things (like not have to tell EVERY parent you meet, "Yes, I am actually X age, (I do look younger than my years, which I ascribe to all those years I spent ACTIVELY not learning from my errorz due to well, stuff) and I have a kid, so don't worry," to every set of parents I seat in my therapy chairs and who viewed me with a deep state of horror/fear, and stuff.

There are benefits to age, but I agree that my state of mind isn't "Oh, I'm an Elder, so I can't do anything." Quite the reverse, I feel more qualified, more wise, and more able to have fun without wretched consequences than when I was young.

My first therapist told me my life would be happier the older I got, and so far she has been ENTIRELY correct. I don't sweat the elderly stuff, but I think it's silly to worry about a label like "Elderly" I prefer to own it, have fun, and keep doing my Own Thing. But Elderly is not a dirty word to me, not even a little. Don't be brainwashed by society.

Anna

jdy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
When I was a child I thought as a child, :) looking at adults in their 40s as really old "SENIOR Members". :shock:
But now looking at adults that at their 40s see adults just getting used to adult life and they are no longer a child. ENJOY now, you're not elderly at 40 I agree it's a state of mind. :2c:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread