Puffaway

May 4, 2014
Dorset, UK
This mess (Kuro + M2 washer + bent up paper clip):
kuro1.jpg
kuro3.jpg

builds the top two of these coils:
kuro2.jpg

+ Fully adjustable :unsure:: Hit paper clip with a hammer until it's the right thickness for desired spacing
+ Cheap
+ Makes evenly spaced coils slightly better than stretching and recompressing (see 3rd coil in pic for comparison)
- Bit fiddly to use compared with normal Kuro operation

jrlakeman

Mar 25, 2015
I think your on to something here it looks crude but those are some nice coils it spits out. Now kuro has your design we will see this next month on the v2 model. Makes me happy to see the average tinkerer can make stuff with limited amount of supplys and they would dump 3 versions that dont do what it claims before they get it right. Good work!

Puffaway

May 4, 2014
Dorset, UK
Its a good idea, I just don't see how it can beat the advantages of simply using a machine screw.
Well, it can't - if you're young. If your eyes &/or hands are old it helps a bit though.
Nice idea with the paperclip. Very creative indeed.
For spaced coils on my Kuro, I do the coil pull method after completing the number of turns I need. You simply pull the coil while it's still in the coiler and re-compress.
I found that pulling and recompressing works well on annealed nickel but tempered nickel springs open too much even after re-compressing several times; admittedly I didn't practice too hard!

Reactions: mr.fabe

Puffaway

May 4, 2014
Dorset, UK
Ingenious, Puff! Now I'll know what to get if I run out of 4-40 machine screws :w00t:
Yes David, you'll buy my screwcutting lathe! (Only £10 + £50000 shipping.) Oh wait, it's metric. Planning on going metric any time soon America? ... No, I thought not. :smileywithtinhat:
As for me, I hate working with nickel... might try titanium or just skip the temp control fad.
Hmmm, I thought that way too. Then I built a TC mod and, after a lot of faffing about, got a Taifun singing sweetly. I've not looked back since. But I agree, nickel coils are a PITA, however you wind them.

Reactions: DavidOck

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Yes David, you'll buy my screwcutting lathe! (Only £10 + £50000 shipping.) Oh wait, it's metric. Planning on going metric any time soon America? ... No, I thought not. :smileywithtinhat:

Hmmm, I thought that way too. Then I built a TC mod and, after a lot of faffing about, got a Taifun singing sweetly. I've not looked back since. But I agree, nickel coils are a PITA, however you wind them.

Shipping seems a little high for something that's only 10 pounds... :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread