Status
Not open for further replies.

sandybeach

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
Chicago
Smoking masks thyroid issues in some, I had to up my thyroid med when I quit smoking, was unable to comprehend why I was glued to the couch for a while there. That's not an unreasonable test at all, though you've been quit for a while, so IDK.

Did the doc actually test anything at all, or just tell you vaping sucked and toss you out of the office? Cuz mine woulda marched me over for a chest X-ray and probably some other testing. You may well be missing what the problem actually is, if your doctor only bothered to spend the time *you* were paying for telling you that it was vaping and how terrible it is. What if you have developed pneumonia/lung cancer/other terrible things from vaping that she said were just NEW DATA? You'd think she'd be doing some checking, I'd think, if it's THAT bad.

I will tell you NONE of my docs would have let me leave without follow up. They are highly alert to the state of my lungs due to my *smoking* habits, not vaping habits. :)

Anna
Hi Anna, I was in the doctor's office about Osteoporosis. I just asked if vaping could have any effect on Osteoporosis. She said they don't know.

This was a resident I was talking to, before my doctor came in. They go through different rotations, so I am guessing it was when she was doing a cardiac or pulmonary rotation. A doctor, or doctors told her that their patients that vape have issues as serious as their patients that smoke do. She didn't mention that all the years of smoking before they vaped could have had something to do with their problems, so who knows.

Sandy

Reactions: stols001

TJVapes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2010
USA
Hi Anna, I was in the doctor's office about Osteoporosis. I just asked if vaping could have any effect on Osteoporosis. She said they don't know.

This was a resident I was talking to, before my doctor came in. They go through different rotations, so I am guessing it was when she was doing a cardiac or pulmonary rotation. A doctor, or doctors told her that their patients that vape have issues as serious as their patients that smoke do. She didn't mention that all the years of smoking before they vaped could have had something to do with their problems, so who knows.

Sandy
Well of course vapers would have serious smoker problems. Its not an instant cure for all the hell you already put your body through from smoking. It's an ignorant statement and absolutely flawed logic.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I don't think it's ignorant, necessarily, I just wouldn't take anyone's word on that without more info. To be fair (and I've had my times with the medical establishment) I wouldn't let a resident talk to me, let alone touch me. Being truthful. That's mainly because they come from the U of A around here (they aren't the greatest university of all time) but for the most part, I'm not too interested in hearing what residents have to say. This is partly because they're inexperienced, they also tend to misunderstand information (there is a lot to be misunderstood), and finally, they're usually half asleep and exhausted by the time they get to residency, they tend to get things mixed up.

In all fairness, I wouldn't let a therapist who was in what would be a comparatively "similar" situation perform therapy on me, mainly because I know a *whole lot more* than they do and it gets irritating. I'm not saying it's not for everyone, but it's certainly not *for me.*

Also, a resident shouldn't "drop" such information on someone and walk away. I'd have had several *very difficult* questions for him/her and it would probably have ended up with my requesting to speak with/get an appointment with said doc who was doing said research, so I could figure out if there was any truth to it, and if so, what their methodology was for determining "vape related" harm versus former "smoke related" harm.

To be honest, if someone has figured out a way to know that, I'd LOVE to know about it, as it would make a smoking versus vaping study *so much* clearer.... I'm not exactly saying it's not true (I am saying that *I* at this point am not putting much stock in it). Just because someone is wearing a white coat does not make them an authority on all things medical, or even all things vape related....

Again, this is just my opinion, of course. But, I can get a real bug up my snozz when it comes to residents, and here's another example where one just dropped some "knowledge" and just left... At least, that appears to be how it went down. I mean, this is not even your "real" doc, is it? Some resident dealing with osteoporosis, who happened to have an "opinion" about vaping? Yeah, not taking that too seriously.... Sorry....

Anna

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
I expect every doctor has been bombarded with negative information about vaping from their pharmaceutical reps for a couple years now, and suspect that is a factor in many of their perspectives. Without any reference to a specific case or study, it does leave me wondering about that assertion by a doctor. My own beneficial health experience is of course a factor in my doubts.

chanelvaps

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Burbank CAlifornia
My last pulmonologist told me new reseach told that there was formaldyhade found in vaping. I educated her to tell her that was only if one hit a cotton wick with very little juice on it too many times and was repeatedly doing burning hits. (what my research had told me) (and somethiing NO vaper I have ever known does)she only half listened and I am sure she never passed on my research but instead passed on the bad information. The DRS are not very sympathetic to the fact that we know we are only involved in harm reduction. They only want harm elimination. Not possible for some of us.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
There are only two types of docs anymore: those who listen to research brought in by patients, and those who don't. I've been pretty lucky but I cherry-picked my providers for intelligence, long ago. I seriously look up Medical schools, professional associations, whether they've had complaints.... Etc, everything I could get my hands on, pretty much. I just Got Really Tired of bad care and with my illness it's a really bad idea.

I've found generally, if a doctor is close-minded about *anything* they will have that same attitude when presented with new information. I can't tell you the number of studies I have carried into doctor's offices, and if they haven't read them but I want something, they will read the stuff. If they can't decide, they say they will do more research and let me know. I've only had one doc say, "You're a difficult patient Anna, you know too much," and I found it really trying. So, I'm not supposed to be an informed consumer? I'm supposed to place the ONE thing that is most precious to me (my life) in your supposedly capable hands and you won't dialogue with me? You think any patient without Blind Obedience is a PITA?

Nope, that doesn't work for me, not these days. I had my days of blind obedience, and then I woke up and became an active patient in my own care. Docs should be thrilled I give enough of a hoot to ENJOY the fact that I am bringing pertinent information to my appointment and have researched the subject. It actually gives them less to do, other than possibly learn about a new study they may not have read, which, like docs should LOVE new studies, I LOVE learning new stuff in my field.... That's one of my benchmarks for a doc, if they feel information I provide is a *pain*. Granted, I know everyone's not like this, and it's not like I get my way every time, but I get to participate, which I think is reasonable given it's *my BODY* that will be swallowing whatever med or doing whatever test, not the doc.

Anna

sandybeach

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
Chicago
That was the point. It wasn't her opinion. She was just repeating what she heard. From doctors. My point to you, is just because we don't see any issues with our own health right now, how do we have the right to be so adamant that vaping is perfectly fine and nobody else knows what they are talking about?

I'm thinking that maybe all the "fake studies" is what gets you so riled up about this. I agree that some of those studies are totally biased and worthless.

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
If the OP bothers to find out more and present proof, like I have repeatedly said, I will be interested. I'm not much interested in a throwaway comment given by a resident with nothing to back it up. I would have that same opinion were it brain surgery, *or* vaping.

a) I wouldn't be talking to the resident, let alone letting her scare me into not vaping

b) I'd want to talk to the doctor(s) doing said research, and I can almost *guarantee* that the resident knows next to nothing about it other than standing there and nodding her head, and I'm about 90% sure that the resident probably didn't even know enough about it to *answer questions.* She was parroting, unless the OP asked no questions, which really doesn't make sense to me.

c) Whatever rotation the resident *was* on, she's not there now. She's doing osteoporosis. Why is she even offering an opinion on vaping? If so, her opinion should be backed up by pertinent facts, of which I heard very few other than "some doctors" "somewhere" are finding "effects" of "some sort" in the lungs and/or heart of "vapers" which they can mysteriously isolate from damage done previously (potentially) "from smoking." That was the implication based on the post, and it makes very little sense given that the majority of vapers are former smokers. I would want NUMBERS, data points, a EXPLANATION of how this "research" was "supposedly" being "done." I mean, the resident didn't seem to even specify in *what way* vaping was causing damage, which would also be an important point.

This isn't really about vaping, IMO. It's about decent care, and well-researched and presented care. That doesn't seem to be the case here. There's really nothing to argue *against* w/r/t this research, since we know almost zero about it other than "Vaping is bad for your lungs and heart."

Um, okay.... How so? In what fashion? What are the doctors/researchers finding that is so negative? Etc. It's not the research that's even at question, it is the TOTAL LACK OF DETAILS. Usually, when someone tells me some "new" and "AMAZING" information, I want details??!!!!

Until I get such details, I'm not going to let an unknown resident stop me from vaping, and I'm sort of surprised that the OP did it, though I understand if going through problems vaping at the time such "news" might have been frightening. But, it wasn't a doctor, it was a resident, hence, a STUDENT. Either the student should have backed up her "facts" or provided a method for the OP to get such "factual information."

Anna

Anna

Reactions: Jingles

TJVapes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2010
USA
I didn't say I was adamant that vaping was perfectly fine. I believe that someday we might know what the consequences are. I still think that statement from it's origin is an ignorant statement. Unless and until they do the research on vaping, then it is unknown. I believe it's better than smoking. They can try to prove me wrong.

sandybeach

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
Chicago
I digress. I'm guessing you think "Nobody else knows anything except people that vape. And by the way, don't get your kids vaccinated because it causes Autism. Aluminum causes Alzheimer's. Doctors are out to lie to you. Big Pharma is out to screw you over. Things you hear on the internet make much more sense than a .gov website does. Medical professional that have devoted their life to studying medicine don't know anything."

....(except you, because you know everything)

I THINK:
VAPING IS A GREAT WAY TO QUIT SMOKING.
VAPING IS BETTER THAN SMOKING

AND NOBODY KNOWS THE LONG TERM HEALTH EFFECTS!
When a doctor says something, I give them the benefit of the doubt that they may or may not be right.

But.... nobody, and I mean nobody, knows the long term effects. Except you, because you know everything.

p.s. An American physician spends an average of 14 years training for the job: four years of college, four years of medical school, and residencies and fellowships that last between three and eight years. And how many years did you go to college, again, stols? My guess is not many.

I'm unsubscribing to this thread. Y'all can go back to sitting on your high horses.

Mazinny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
NY
Don't think the gums gonna do it for you, myself have gone back to where i came in, after a good few years of sub ohm vaping started to develop tinnitus,so now 1ohm coil 12watts 12mg nic v/g 10% water, now all is good,
so this is worth a try, lets hope you don't go back to the nasty sticks.
That fixed the tinnitus ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread