Status
Not open for further replies.

Dnerve

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2013
Ireland
[...]

Another thing is, I don't hook it up to the computer that often. Maybe once every two weeks. The last couple of times I hooked it up my comp. it doesn't recognize it. I says 'hardware not found'. So I go and reinstall the MVR and then it works. And it still has all my previous saved data from before. So it could just be my comp. and not the Evic. Anyways this is why I say it 'seems' buggy.

Hi, I am having the same issue. I need to re-install MVR each time I want my eVic to be recognized after a PC restart.

I run Windows 8, have set compatibility to 7 and Admin mode with no change!

Aphex13

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2011
Wiesbaden, Germany
Hi, I am having the same issue. I need to re-install MVR each time I want my eVic to be recognized after a PC restart.

Are you running 64x Windows? I had the same problem. I just installed it to "Program Files (x86)" instead of "Program Files" and haven't had a problem since.

pesok

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 25, 2009
Everett, MA US

also make sure to connect the eVic(via USB) and then start the MVR(with admin privileges), doing it the other way around gives me problems

jluster

Jan 2, 2013
Dallas, TX
I would like to see how to remove some limitations such as on wattage. Obviously I don't know the hardware limitation but want to discover it.

If you want to increase the wattage you have to work on the hardware and remove the governor. The firmware can go higher but anything above 500,000 is just translated to 499,999 internally on the governor.

jluster

Jan 2, 2013
Dallas, TX
Sorry, but I can't help. I've never been so wrapped up in tracking myself as to allow the rest of the world to pass me by.

I think you strongly misunderstand the idea of Quantified Self. It's not about keeping an eye on things, it's about things keeping an eye on you. I have access to data that allows me to understand which cancer treatment is most effective, which pills make me do what, and what combination of food and medication leads to which side-effects. In the short run this is helping me live a more normal life, in the long run such studies can help every cancer patient do the same...

mrmarc

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 24, 2013
California
mcvapes.com
Are you running 64x Windows? I had the same problem. I just installed it to "Program Files (x86)" instead of "Program Files" and haven't had a problem since.

Unfortunately, this didn't seem to work for me at all (using Windows 7 x64), at least in setting my configuration. I had to use my 32-bit installation of Windows 7 (on a laptop) to get MVR to properly set the configuration settings as well as upgrade my eVic to 1.2.

That said, I wish I knew about the reduced wattage limit on the latest version of the firmware. The previous versions are just too clunky for me to want to revert back. I sure hope that they reconsider lifting this restriction perhaps by adding a safety limit warning of some sorts when setting higher wattage.

jluster

Jan 2, 2013
Dallas, TX
I'm looking forward to custom firmwares for the evic. Are there any blogs we can follow about the progress?

My second eVic just broke (same issue, the black ring around the logic is fragile and cracks which detaches the terminals from the logic) and so I am a little slow in coding. I'll hope that I can afford (without the miss asking me again why I insist that vaping is cheaper than smoking if I spend hundreds a month) a new one soon.

d3p

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2011
Belgium
My second eVic just broke (same issue, the black ring around the logic is fragile and cracks which detaches the terminals from the logic) and so I am a little slow in coding. I'll hope that I can afford (without the miss asking me again why I insist that vaping is cheaper than smoking if I spend hundreds a month) a new one soon.
that sucks :s
haha the times I thought I would save ....loads of money with vaping are far behind me, and I don't have high hopes for the future;
these are exiting times for vapers with more and better gear that's coming out at a way higher pace then before as the market gets bigger, and I already spent too much money when choices were alot more simple lol

Ghenghis

Verified Member
Mar 9, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
So I signed up to look around for like-minded individuals who, as I do, love hacking
I have been modding everything I own for 20 years, cheers

im going to look into this soon, will get the eeprom model number & look for a spec sheet on the chip they using, will try to get a pin out & can figure out about read write, as im thinking without looking there is a hash in the firmware files we download. I might be able to help a little, but not sure how much as im limited to programming software.

adeline

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2010
Cary, NC

I'm hoping the control heads get cheaper. Considering you can catch an eVic for $60-70 .. the control heads should be MUCH cheaper than they are. Time... All it needs is a little more time.

jdub88

Mar 8, 2013
la, ca
Wow, you guys are hardcore! I've rooted my phone and hacked playstations but that's about it lol

Joyetech should just release the decrypted firmware with a disclaimer that they aren't responsible for what it's used for. It'd open up an entire new market for hack-minded vapers. I ran into the evic while I was searching for a mod that had a timer that would regulate the time between puffs to help me ease off nicotine. I emailed them and suggested it, but it'd be great if someone was able to write custom firmware that could handle it.

Has anyone addressed the durability aspect of the evic? Does anyone make retrofit kits that make it stronger? I don't own one yet, but I was looking at pics of the disassembled one that WhiteNoyze posted and I was thinking that maybe some of the parts in the head (plastic control ring base, threaded head) could be redesigned, remade in alum or steel (emachineshop.com?), or at least reinforced with screws to take the stress off of epoxied joints or plastic pieces.

I'm gonna buy one soon and take a look myself. Anyway, keep up the good work!

Last edited:

KiloWatts

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2011
West Philadelphia
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread