Had my first doctor's appointment since i started vaping ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unothegreat

ECF Veteran
May 17, 2015
So I went to the doctor today since my blood sugar has been out of whack for a few weeks. The nurse was doing her pre exam thing, and she asked me if I was still smoking.... For the time since I can remember, I was able to say no!

When I was talking to the doctor, he sounded genuinely excited to change my status in the system to tobacco free!

He was asking me some questions, such as how many milligrams of nic I was using, and whether I was planning to step down or quit all together. I did tell him that I plan to step down to 3mg when I finish my current stash, but right now, I don't have any plans to quit completely.

He did mention that "we don't know the long term effect" thing, which I can't argue with. He didn't quite say that its better than smoking, but my blood pressure is down, and he said my lungs sound great, so that's something.

Also, we talked above the potential for VG and its effects on blood glucose. I told him that I plan on mixing my own juice in the near future, and playing with mixtures to see what the effects on blood sugar will be. I could tell that he was genuinely curious, and he wants me to keep track of it, and let him know how it goes, so he can see the results and share it with his colleagues.

I'm going in early Monday morning to have blood work done, so lets see if vaping has helped lower my cholesterol as well, shall we?

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
He did mention that "we don't know the long term effect" thing, which I can't argue with. He didn't quite say that its better than smoking...
Did you ask him about long term (40 year) studies of all the latest drugs he's prescribing? You know, the ones that have only been out for 5 years or less. I wonder if those drugs are any better than smoking?

The power of propaganda...

supermarket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Near Atlanta, Georgia, US of A
Dear OP, I think I speak for the community as a whole when I say we'd all LOVE to see the results of your experiment if you proceed. Any data or feedback regarding vapers' health really helps the community as a whole.

It will probably be quite a long time from now until we have definitive scientific evidence as to how vaping affects our body in the long term. In the mean time, it is up to US vapers to share our experiences, questions, thoughts, etc, and to build up our own wisdom bank.

Can't wait to hear your results!

Unothegreat

ECF Veteran
May 17, 2015
Dear OP, I think I speak for the community as a whole when I say we'd all LOVE to see the results of your experiment if you proceed. Any data or feedback regarding vapers' health really helps the community as a whole.

It will probably be quite a long time from now until we have definitive scientific evidence as to how vaping affects our body in the long term. In the mean time, it is up to US vapers to share our experiences, questions, thoughts, etc, and to build up our own wisdom bank.

Can't wait to hear your results!

Well I can tell you that so far, vaping the same stuff I have been, I've not noticed any effect higher vg juice is having on my blood sugar.

I mixed up my first batchs of DIY juice last night, which is closer to a 50/50 mix, so we'll see if that has any effect in a few weeks. I've been keeping a very close eye on my levels, and am putting a spreadsheet together, to track everything.

Unothegreat

ECF Veteran
May 17, 2015
Sounds good, thanks! I can't see any reason why vaping would affect blood sugar levels, but nonetheless the more data we have from users the better :)

Vegetable Glycerine is a simple sugar, obviously produced naturally by vegetables. However, I've read that it's metabolized differently than complex sugars (carbs), hence the reason why it doesn't effect the blood sugar. I'm not a doctor, so I don't know for sure, but in my experience so far, this is how it works.

TyPie

ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2013
New Joisey (aka NJ)
Always enjoy these medical reports from the front lines (e.g., patient speaking with doctor). I believe that this is exactly where the 'rubber meets the road', where quitting smoking and turning to vaping counts the most. Always interested to hear feedback from real people visiting real doctors. (I don't think it's possible to under-estimate the importance of these reports. I'm thinking there will be more and more stories of some dramatic improvements to health out there....)

Please keep the stories comin' folks.....

Reactions: Katmar

Thayamax

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2013
Southeast Michigan
I just went to my doctor yesterday to get my insulin changed. He was happy that I had quit smoking by vaping and was very pleased that I'm still smoke free after over 2 years. He said that even though we don't know that much about the long term effects of vaping, it has to be much better than smoking. He said that there are only a few possible ingredients that might cause harm from vaping, while there are thousands in cigarettes. He was especially happy for me since I had smoked for over 42 years and neither of us thought I would ever quit.

I'm also curious about the effects of vaping, if any, on blood sugar. I use a high VG in my liquids, but my blood sugar isn't in good enough control for me to figure it out. I'd be interested in the results of your tests.

dabbott416

Verified Member
Sep 3, 2015
Cincy, OH
The vape shop I used to work at had a guy working behind the counter that had Type 1 diabetes. I'll preface this by saying he's the ONLY ONE I'VE EVER HEARD THIS FROM.

He said after he started vaping he noticed an increase in his blood sugar. His doctor apparently even recommended he stop vaping. Of course he didn't and it stayed higher than normal. I talked to him about a month ago and I asked about it. He said it's always on the higher side now, but never anything dangerous.

I dunno, just one more thing to possibly worry about, but who knows!!

RosaJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2012
The Woodlands, TX, USA
I have type 2 diabetes and vaping doesn't affect my blood sugar.

From what I understand (please note I'm not a doctor) is that type 1 diabetes causes blood sugar to be low and the pancreas does not produce insulin. My daughter in law got type 1 after her second pregnancy and she was constantly checking her glucose to make sure it didn't plummet to dangerous levels.

On the other hand, we don't ingest the liquid, the liquid does not have sugar, glycerin and pg are alcohols, but again, we're not ingesting it. I don't see how inhaling it would get into the blood stream and affect the metabolism of anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread