Handling high nic solutions

Status
Not open for further replies.

opearn

Aug 3, 2015
Nah not really, My first bottle demanded i wear gloves, apron, face mask ect & handle carefully as its poison. But I never did that just try not to spill (put the lid back on immediately) & wipe bench & rinse skin immediately. Next one no safety warnings so i assume i am doing it right. lol. I reckon it's pretty safe as long you rinse but would still recommend others wear gloves on top of working carefully.

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
The only somewhat dangerous procedure with 100 mg nic is dispensing 1L bottle into smaller bottles. I prefer to do it on my deck. Kitchen sink could be a good place also.
I do not have carpet in my house (I hate dust from carpet), so I am not concerned of spilling nic on carpet (it could be difficult to remove and definitely could pose some danger if children or pets are in house).

Reactions: vape0351

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
When I first started using 100mg, I wore gloves. But I don't do that anymore; I'm actually clumsier with gloves than without, and even if you get a bit on your fingers, it's not a catastrophe; just rinse well with cold water (warm water opens your pores and nicotine will absorb very easily into skin, even better with opened pores!). Both PG and VG (the common carriers of nicotine) are water soluble even if they *feel* greasy, so cold water will rinse the PG or VG + nicotine very well.

I usually place a paper towel under the bottles when I'm decanting the 100mg from the 120ml plastic bottle it came in, to the 30ml brown glass bottles in which I freeze it; after the bottles are all tightly capped, I give them a cold-water rinse and dry with paper towels before affixing the labels. The only messy-factor I've found is that the plastic bottle I'm pouring *from* tends to drip down its side, so if it makes you really nervous, gloves aren't a bad idea. Just don't have any pets around while doing this; pets are often prone to licking up anything that falls or drips to the floor, and you certainly don't want them licking up any 100mg nicotine.

Just mixing ejuice from one of those 30ml glass bottles, I don't worry about it; I use a syringe to pull up the nicotine, so there's really no messiness involved.

The main thing is this: you don't want to drink, or even vape, 100mg nicotine, because yes, it is toxic. But it's not nuclear waste; getting a few drops on your fingers will not kill you, just rinse it off. Mainly you just want to be sure not to leave any drips around that a pet could get to. I'm assuming that you don't let any small children lick up your countertops -- I could even go so far as to assume that you don't let your small children rampage around the kitchen unsupervised, but who knows, these days.

Andria

ETA: it should go without saying, try to not get your face really close to the 100mg -- you don't want to accidentally splatter any in your eyes; it will burn like acid and absorb into your bloodstream almost instantly. I once rubbed my eye forgetting that I had just refilled my RDA, and even a trace of 10mg ejuice burns the eyes like acid!

Jdurand

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2014
Long Island, NY
100MG nic is not dangerous until something bad happens. You have to weigh it out for yourself. Many here are saying they don't need safety gear with 100 nic. I am one of those people, so don't get me wrong, but follow all the safety guide lines for handling. If you do not, you do so at your own risk, as we all do. This stuff can KILL a dog, cat or cause humans to become ill or worse, upon undiluted consumption.

We are all feeling a little too safe with experience I'm afraid.

Reactions: DoubleEwe

sketchness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2014
Sacramento, CA
I mix down 250mls of 8mg base at a time. Then use this unless I am making a big batch of custard.

I also don't have carpet which makes it easier. Keep a roll of paper towels handy for cleanups. And I use VG nic because I mix max vg mostly, added benefit is it is not so easily absorbed into the skin.

Just don't drink it or use it for lube

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
No anecdote here either.
I too have become lazy with the precautions, initially I wore nitrile gloves and acted as though I was replacing rods in a nuclear reactor or something.

I always make sure that I have windows open (not too wide, it is cold enough here already) and that I have some tissue to hand for any spills.

Reactions: Jdurand

Elizabeth Baldwin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2014
Lexington, Kentucky, United States
BTW:
When I first started DIY I used gloves with my 100mg nic, but now I don't worry about it. I've spilled quite a bit of 100mg on my leg before and I waited until I was finished before cleaning it off. It was on my pants and soaking into my skin too. It was soaked too. If 100mg killed someone from a spill I'd been dead a few years ago when that happened.

Jdurand

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2014
Long Island, NY
I think people confuse 100mg with 100% nicotine.
100mg is actually diluted.
Most DIY buy 100mg.
100% is actually 1000mg nic.
100mg nic is not 100%nic.
100mg nic is 10%nic.

No one is making that mistake here. 100 MG/ML

BTW:
When I first started DIY I used gloves with my 100mg nic, but now I don't worry about it. I've spilled quite a bit of 100mg on my leg before and I waited until I was finished before cleaning it off. It was on my pants and soaking into my skin too. It was soaked too. If 100mg killed someone from a spill I'd been dead a few years ago when that happened.

There you go, make it seem like, hey, just take a bath in the stuff, you'll be fine.

Stop making light of this before someone gets hurt, sued, or hurts someone else through carelessness.

Elizabeth Baldwin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2014
No one is making that mistake here. 100 MG/ML

There you go, make it seem like, hey, just take a bath in the stuff, you'll be fine.

Stop making light of this before someone gets hurt, sued, or hurts someone else through carelessness.

I'm not making light of it, I'm just giving my personal story. It's not as dangerous as the fear mongers make it out to be. 1000mg is dangerous, but 100mg is not that dangerous unless you drink it. I wouldn't leave it lying around because children or pets can be harmed by it but it won't hurt you by spilling on you.

Reactions: AndriaD

Elizabeth Baldwin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2014
I'm not making light of it, I'm just giving my personal story. It's not as dangerous as the fear mongers make it out to be. 1000mg is dangerous, but 100mg is not that dangerous unless you drink it. I wouldn't leave it lying around because children or pets can be harmed by it but it won't hurt you by spilling on you.

And actually people do make that mistake all the time confusing 100mg with 1000mg. I see it right here in these threads all the time. The experienced user doesn't make that mistake but many do.

Look if you want to wear a Hazmat suit to use 100mg nic by all means go ahead.

Jdurand

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2014
Long Island, NY

In your experience. Please I'm not chastising or even criticizing anyone here. I admitted to being just as guilty. My fear is someone not as experienced will think Oh it's safe and not worry, that leads to the headlines we don't want to read about. I would rather over warn and then let experience dictate what precautions they use or don't use.

Elizabeth Baldwin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2014
In your experience. Please I'm not chastising or even criticizing anyone here. I admitted to being just as guilty. My fear is someone not as experienced will think Oh it's safe and not worry, that leads to the headlines we don't want to read about. I would rather over warn and then let experience dictate what precautions they use or don't use.

I just gave out facts. 100mg is not 1000mg. If that bothers you then I apologize.

It is only dangerous if you drink it or leave it where a child or pet can get into it. Those who leave it out where a child can get into it probably don't need children or pets. They probably leave bleach sitting around too.

Have a nice day!

Reactions: AndriaD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread