Harsh throat hit after a long puff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mohid

ECF Veteran
Sep 23, 2016
Pakistan
Hi all. I've been vaping for about 6 months now and still trying to find that spot I like. So I've been experimenting. Currently I vape with an EGO Mega with CLR coils. I'm having a problem. Gonna give as much details as possible.

Tl;dr The problem is that I get a super harsh throat hit at the end of a long puff. It's like I swallowed a porcupine. I have ruled out wicking issues, and any issues with the coil. The VG added seems to be the issue but it happens only at higher wattages. If the VG is bad then it should be bad at all wattages.

Now the details:
I've been using only one CLR coil head for about a month rebuilding it with 28g kanthal which comes out at 0.7 to 0.9 ohm. I just opened up another coil head which is a 0.5ohm and filled it with my own 60/40 vg/pg juice unflavored. However this juice was made with addition of VG that I bought from a vendor other than where I normally buy from. And the problem started.

So I experimented. As this was a new coil, I thought the problem was with that one only. So I switched the coil back to the old one and the same results. I ruled out wicking issue as I never had that with this coil earlier. Also when that happens there should be burnt taste not scratched throat. Cotton was also not even slightly burnt. I also changed the cotton to no avail. I don't have any problem with short puffs but longer ones have this harsh hit at the end.

Now it seemed that the juice was the cause. I don't have any proper measuring tools so I thought maybe it is too much pg for this ohm range. (I know this is idiotic because older coil should have worked fine if this was the cause as it was not giving the harshness earlier with the same pg/vg ratio). So added more of the newly bought VG in a small bottle and the harshness decreased. Added even more and it decreased further.

It confused me further as it has to be the VG creating this issue. But why only at higher wattages? Bad VG should be bad at any wattage. I don't have any of the previously bought VG to compare it with. I don't want to have to throw away all the stuff I bought from this vendor because I bought a lot of it :( at the same time I don't want to die because of vaping poisonous ejuice. It sure hits like that at high wattage.

Sorry for the long and incoherent post. I guess I just want to know whether this is normal or I should be concerned? I have no issues at lower wattages except I'm worried.

Sent from my ZUK Z1 using Tapatalk

Cheallaigh

Ultra Member
Aug 13, 2016
Georgian Bay, Ontario
you know that VG is thicker than PG and what you're doing is getting what we call a "dry hit"... you're drawing the vape faster than the wick can draw in the VG by the end of the long draw... the higher the wattage the faster this can happen. you want a long drawn out vape? vape at lower wattage or change your VG/PG ratio.

Mohid

ECF Veteran
Sep 23, 2016
Pakistan
you know that VG is thicker than PG and what you're doing is getting what we call a "dry hit"... you're drawing the vape faster than the wick can draw in the VG by the end of the long draw...
But shouldn't the cause of that be burnt cotton? Because I didn't see any signs of that while changing it. Or are dry hits independent of that?

NU_FTW

Ultra Member
Dec 6, 2016
i like the long drawn out vape myself and subohm... i learned the painful way myself lol.
me too I have huge lung capacity ( well above average) it's what led me down the rabbit hole of proper RTAs and 3.96 mm coils. I had thought smaller til I finally looked at the numerical size of bit I have been using for over a couple years 5/32 the coil size plus cotton allows me to vape longer I don't push me to their limit either only 53 watts on .5 ohm. Good luck finding your sweet spot

Reactions: Mohid

NU_FTW

Ultra Member
Dec 6, 2016
you might want to consider upgrading at some point...
Pretty sure he is doin whati used to do when i was using drop in coils/pre mades and rebuilding them even though that wasnt their intention. Pretty sure he would be better served with a better TRUE RTA if he wants to be building his coils.

NU_FTW

Ultra Member
Dec 6, 2016
I have been considering getting a subtank mini lately. However it's a little expensive for me and I didn't have any significant issues with this setup before. Now I'm thinking differently...

Out of curiosity why not go after an actual RTA rather than one where the RBA is essentially an afterthought, since you seem to be capable/willing to build your own coil... Just curious not hating on ya. Everyone has their own preferences. There are single coil RTA's and then the Velocity style RTA's out there with great performance.

Mohid

ECF Veteran
Sep 23, 2016
Pakistan
Out of curiosity why not go after an actual RTA rather than one where the RBA is essentially an afterthought, since you seem to be capable/willing to build your own coil... Just curious not hating on ya. Everyone has their own preferences. There are single coil RTA's and then the Velocity style RTA's out there with great performance.
Because of simplicity. I don't want to be building dual or quad coils on weirdly shaped decks and worrying about getting everything perfect. I could do that occassionally but not every week :)

Reactions: Cheallaigh

NU_FTW

Ultra Member
Dec 6, 2016
Because of simplicity. I don't want to be building dual or quad coils on weirdly shaped decks and worrying about getting everything perfect. I could do that occassionally but not every week :)

The build is completely up to you. Not going to try and push you one way or the other, but you can buy single coil RTA's, likely easier than doing all that work you currently do with your joytech tank. Just information, not saying you should change your mind, just want you to be informed properly. Building on a velocity style deck is about as easy as it gets.. Much easier than rebuilding factory coils

Cheallaigh

Ultra Member
Aug 13, 2016
Georgian Bay, Ontario
if it works great, but in future if you upgrade consider a TC mod and rebuildable coil setup.
why?
when a mod uses temp control, if it sense the coil getting too hot(like in a dry hit situation), it will stop.

i own 3 of these.. yeah they're not the best, but i can confirm the TC works decently and i have no complaints, they are also single coil if you use the rebuildable deck they come with and the TC(Ni) coils are fairly easy to get if you can place fasttech orders(with the sad, sad wait but cheaper).
Kanger TOPBOX Mini Starter kit (Not Included battery)

Cheallaigh

Ultra Member
Aug 13, 2016
Georgian Bay, Ontario
there you go, now i have one mod that will TC anything(it's a squonker), but most are limited to only being able to use TC with certain types of wire... Ni(nickel), Ti(titanium), or SS316L (stainless steel)... so you need to use coils if they are factory made that are one of those 3 metals for the wire... or buy those types of wire if you get into building, if you do that? get some 28g SS316L.. easiest wire for size and it can be used in both TC or watts, and is nice and clean tasting(doesn't add flavour like some others occasionally do).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread