Harsh throat hit. Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got my first e-cig in the mail a few days ago, and am relatively happy so far. I haven't smoked an analog yet, for what that's worth. I feel better already, and plan to stick with vaping. However, I'm experiencing a very harsh throat hit, which is less than pleasant. I bought this starter kit, and selected the Kanger T3S clearo and Turkish Tobacco flavored juice. The bottle says it's a 50/50 mix with "medium" nic level. I'm guessing a vv battery might solve my problem, or perhaps a different pg/vg ratio would help. I'm getting decent, if a bit mild, flavor, and satisfactory vapor production. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011
Until you get different e-liquid (some is rather harsh), you could add a few drops of VG to your liquid, that should smooth it a bit. You can pick some up at Walmart or a craft shop.

Make sure you're drinking lots of water. Vaping is very dehydrating and will seem harsh if your throat is dry.

Until you get different e-liquid (some is rather harsh), you could add a few drops of VG to your liquid, that should smooth it a bit. You can pick some up at Walmart or a craft shop.

Make sure you're drinking lots of water. Vaping is very dehydrating and will seem harsh if your throat is dry.

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
What you are experiencing can be caused be several things:

Vapor is different from smoke. It took your body time to get used to smoke in your throat and lungs, the same is true with warm vapor. As time progresses and your body adjusts, this will become less of a problem to you.

As pointed out before me, your draw technique may need to be adjusted to vaping. Some cigarette smokers inhaled directly into their lungs. Since the nicotine in vapor is absorbed more in the mouth, nose, and throat and not in the lungs, pull the vapor into the mouth and hold it there temporarily to allow it to cool a little. Then allow some into your lungs, or exhale through your nose and mouth.

Relating to the flavor, years of smoking have damaged your taste buds. They will heal, but it will take some time. Flavors will taste off initially. What you may like now, you may grow to dislike, and visa versa. The Pg and Vg in e-liquid both draw water from our cells, so drinking plenty of water is very important to replace what is lost. Dry mouth also contributes to one's ability to taste.

I personally found some of the clearomizers to give a harsh vape, especially top-coil, top-wicked ones. You may find a cooler and smoother vape using one of the bottom-coil, bottom-wicked clearomizers such as the Kanger Evod or Kanger Protank.

Using a higher resistance, or ohm, delivery device will also cool the vapor. Low resistance or low ohms cause warmer vapor, and may be experienced as harsh.

Having a variable voltage battery such as an eGo Spinner or Twist allows for further fine-tuning of the vape temperature, and can also be used to adjust to different flavors. If your delivery device allows for different types of drip tips (mouth pieces), finding a especially long one can allow the vapor to cool via the longer distance the vapor has to travel from the coil to your mouth.

Last edited:

szot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Process of elimation...start with nice easy draws on the PV , not hard hitting like reg smokes and analogs....then try lowering the PG level of the juice....then try time and see if ya get use to it, give it some time, few days....if not, then maybe lower 12 mg nicotine....and lastly maybe a smooth easy 50/50 555 flavor ....last resort , try a bottom coil clearomizer like a T3....one of those processes should do the trick, but don't be impatient

mguidry629

Verified Member
Jul 9, 2013
Louisiana
I had the same problem...went away after a day or two....just had to get my throat used to it I guess. The first day I had to resort to smoking a few cigarettes to subside the urges while I experimented with my ecig. You gotta get more than one flavor, more than one nic level, you have to experiment with it to find your balance....good luck...don't give up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread