FDA Has there been any updates yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

absoluttalent

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Lombard, IL
Just curious. When all this happened at the beginning of the month, everyone grabbed their pitchforks. Several groups came forward to fight for us. One lawsuit was filed. And its been nothing but "support Cole/biship and HR2058".
Its been about 2-3 weeks now and its been mostly silent. Is there a running blog or website with where things are sitting at for us?

I understand anything government related takes a LOOOONNNNNNGGG time, but it seems to me that after the initial outrage, things quieted down rather quickly. Several talks about stock piling for impending doom, but Im getting the gung-ho attitude that was sparked has faded too soon. Many are talking like it is a sure thing and nothing is gonna change.

Are we just sitting in the dark until something else pops up? I have not seen anything other than the "please be patient while we read these 500 pages" from all the advocacy groups.
I would like to read up on progress that has been made and what action is actually taking place.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
There have been more lawsuits filed, some of the advocacy groups(both consumer and industry) have formed coalitions, the Senate committee chair for homeland security and government oversight demanded information(deadline) today. So far though, no real updates as far as movement on anything.

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
I
There have been more lawsuits filed, some of the advocacy groups(both consumer and industry) have formed coalitions, the Senate committee chair for homeland security and government oversight demanded information(deadline) today. So far though, no real updates as far as movement on anything.
I'm aware of two lawsuits, one in CA and the other in D.C. I know of one more in planning. Any others?

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I

I'm aware of two lawsuits, one in CA and the other in D.C. I know of one more in planning. Any others?
There are the Nicopure and Lost Arts suits that you mentioned, then 2 cigar suits so far. I know of three more that are planned, I think, SeviaUSA, the Advocate Coalition(CASAA), and Larry Faircloth.

ETA: Also, Senator Ron Johnson has issued a second letter to the FDA requesting information, since they failed to answer the first. Deadline June 20th.

Last edited:

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
those law suits will not delay those new regulations.. after 2 months this will all be gone.

would stock pile.
You are off by a couple of years. The August 8 date is the time when no new products can be brought to the market. All products currently on the US market can stay until august 2018. If they apply for a new tobacco product category (very doubtful if any will) they can stay for another year after that or until the FDA accepts or rejects the application.

Reactions: stormjib

mountaingal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2012
Tennessee and ports on the East Coast
You are off by a couple of years. The August 8 date is the time when no new products can be brought to the market. All products currently on the US market can stay until august 2018. If they apply for a new tobacco product category (very doubtful if any will) they can stay for another year after that or until the FDA accepts or rejects the application.

That is what I thought, also. I am planning to purchase 2 more liters of nicotine 100mg/ml when 2018 comes. If my current use continues, I should be good until I die. LOL :lol::lol::lol::lol: and then..... :angel:

absoluttalent

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Lombard, IL
i have some nic in the freezer and plan on buying some more between now and August. But its still a little disheartening to be in the dark from everyone.

I read the docket for the Nicopure case
Tobacco On Trial » Blog Archive » DOCKET for NICOPURE LABS, LLC v. FDA et al, May 12-Jun 7, 2016

Seems they had the schedule meeting yesterday, but nothing was noted as to when the actual case will be scheduled. I really would like to follow this as closely as possible:pop:

but I have not seen anything new from CASAA or the like yet. Seriously, are they actually planning anything or are they waiting to see how Nicopure plays out and then ride the coattails?

And as much as I like that Ron Johnson started to do something. The fact of the matter is sounds more like this

I would have played out the whole clip.... but questionable language:censored:

Last edited:

absoluttalent

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Lombard, IL
It takes a while to get together a legal team, do research, decide on a strategy and set it in motion. It's not like a lawyer tv show where things get wrapped up in an hour. Check out some of Pbusardo's or others' videos and podcasts. There are coalitions forming, and I'm sure people are working on it.
Im not saying they shouldve had the entire Deeming document thoroughly gone through by the next day. But its been like a month since it was released. And another 2 years since its been known it was comming
Halo/nicopure had theirs prepared within a week?
And the forming of new coalitions, but quickly can they act? Everyone already knows the government drags its feet on stuff. After forming, you have another month of prep work, and another month to act. Time is of the essence with things like this.

Even right now, there are a handful of youtubers that I follow. suckmymod seems to be pretty on the spot with info with his videos, Grimm has been mentioning hr2058/colebiship every video, Rubyroo has been mentioning stuff. Rip*sellout*Trippers has been busy bass fishing (for someone with over 600,000 subscribers, i am VERY disappointed he doesnt mention or do more)

While I highly doubt the coalitions are just sitting around and debating their new team name or motto, I still would like to see updates or progress from them. Not even a timeline, but they must be able to spare 10 minutes to write "hey guys, quick update. meeting with lawyers, things are happening". I see none of that

stormjib

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2014
California
Do you listen to Dimitri's audio podcasts? Getting all those chinese companies to form a new organization is certainly action. I understand your frustration, but I think it's just going to take longer than you think. Politicians are just starting their election cycle, that's bound to take up their attention. I read updates on Casaa's facebook page, virtually every day something is posted....it's not always linear, I can't always see how it relates to the legislation or litigation, but i'm not a lawyer. We do have some time on our side, but the clock is ticking. Nothing of substance, if I understand things correctly, changes until 2018. I'm not even sure what courts have jurisdiction...it's a complicated issue.

Reactions: LaraC

Bob Chill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
Sans Nom, USA
The biggest issue with the 8/8 is everything we use from battery to drip trip with juice in the middle will be deemed a tobacco product. There are plenty of things to worry about well before 2018.

Age verification at point of sale and delivery for online purchases is one. States will have free reign to regulate the products being sold in their state. I'm not sure how many there are out there already but some states will not allow mail order of anything we use.

Then there's taxes. States will get theirs and probably pretty quick. Will the taxes be reasonable or heavy fisted? I know which way to hedge.

Starting 8/8 will be the beginning of higher prices, less product availability, and more difficult acquisition. Small juice makers will start leaving the market as well. How fast and where will be patchwork and is hard to get a handle on. But there is no way will 2018 or even 2017 will look like today without an injunction

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
While I highly doubt the coalitions are just sitting around and debating their new team name or motto, I still would like to see updates or progress from them. Not even a timeline, but they must be able to spare 10 minutes to write "hey guys, quick update. meeting with lawyers, things are happening". I see none of that

With the Internet providing instant access to a wide range of topics, some feel that there needs to be an update every 5 minutes.

Sometimes you just need to learn how to have patience. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread