Status
Not open for further replies.

elbakan1

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2014
Cape Coral, Florida.
Hello All,
I'm planning to participate in a study that requires to be tobacco free for 8 weeks.
I told the doctors I don't smoke anymore. I was about to mention vaping but didn't.
I asked about smoking cessation products that contain nicotine,
and they told me anabasine shows in these products but not cotinine.
Is this true?. If so, I'll either spend 8 weeks without vaping or not enroll.
Thank you for your help.

bacc.vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2011
Virtualville
What exactly are you saying here? That you're going to be tested for tobacco use prior to the test starting? And the testing they do looks for anabasine, but not cotinine? I'm no nic expert, I was just looking for clarification of what exactly is going on. I know there have been a few lenghty threads over the last few years concerning people getting tested for work insurance and such, I guess it really comes down to exactly what they're testing for, most tests, as far as i know, will peg a vaper as a smoker.

Here's a thread for example-> http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...sing-nic-test.html?highlight=nicotine+testing

Firestorm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Chicagoland
I was tested for cigarette use when I got a life insurance policy when I was a smoker. Indeed, they look for cotinine that remains in your system long after the nicotine isn't measurable. I'm not an expert and I don't know about anabasin or if they have a test that can measure amounts going back eight weeks, but I temporarily stopped smoking four weeks prior to the test and I had no problems.

Firestorm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Chicagoland
Here's a study that claims that anabasine and anatabine concentrations in urine can be used to validate abstinence or measure the extent of tobacco use in persons undergoing nicotine replacement therapy.

Anabasine and Anatabine as Biomarkers for Tobacco Use during Nicotine Replacement Therapy

I would think that whether you smoke tobacco or use smokeless tobacco or vape that you would have elevated anabasin levels that a test could measure as a biomarker for nicotine consumption. I don't know if you can compare nicotine gum to vaping, but the study states:

In subjects abstaining from smokeless tobacco but using nicotine gum, anabasine and anatabine levels were below the cut-point of 2 ng/ml despite high concentrations of nicotine and cotinine resulting from nicotine gum use.

Last edited:

HMav

Aug 11, 2014
Melbourne, FL, United States
Anabasine and Anatabine are some of the other tobacco alkaloids. They should not be present in most e-juice but some tobacco flavors could have them (NET, WTA, TA, all derived from tobacco). If NRTs are OK, and you don't vape tobacco flavors, then you shouldn't be getting anything that you wouldn't get from a traditional NRT + eating food with those flavors.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Hello All,
I'm planning to participate in a study that requires to be tobacco free for 8 weeks.
I told the doctors I don't smoke anymore. I was about to mention vaping but didn't.
I asked about smoking cessation products that contain nicotine,
and they told me anabasine shows in these products but not cotinine.
Is this true?. If so, I'll either spend 8 weeks without vaping or not enroll.
Thank you for your help.

Why? It's a study.... Just ask the people who run the study. :unsure:

elbakan1

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2014
Cape Coral, Florida.
Hello and thank you guys.

Your knowledge and links have helped tremendously.
The study is about emphysema. Which I have.
The candidates has to be healthy otherwise, I am.
They specifically ask for 8 weeks of not smoking prior to enrollment.
I don't know if they would accept candidates on NRTs.
I just asked my doctor,if was in a smoke cessation medication, and not smoking,
how will they know if I'm smoking or not. Then the anabasine came into play.
If they do accept NRTs, my solution would be to vape 0-nic and wear the patch.
If not, I'll try to reduce the nic as much as possible.
I have to dig deeper into this study. Or maybe wait for another one.
Only now I have the knowledge I need to decide.
Thank you very very much for your kind replies. Carlos.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Until vaping is regarded as a safe path to non-smoking we will be demonized for our vaping habit. For the life of me, I can't understand why vaping hasn't been labelled as an excellent path off cigarettes. They all know what harm comes from smoking. Ecigs have been tested and shown to be benign so many times, but we still hear the tired old line, "We just don't know what's in ecigs and how they will affect people in the long term". So, define long term and study the positive effects to vapers who have been vaping for years after smoking cigarettes.

Health insurance is one of the sticking points for vapers. The rates are higher for nicotine users, but lower for the seriously obese. Go figure. People who vape and exercise are being charged higher rates than non-smokers who watch TV, don't exercise, and pig out on snack foods.

My company asks about nicotine use. If you are not a nicotine user, you get a $200 credit on your annual policy cost. That's not a big deal.

I read an article a couple of days ago that said the ACA policies are experiencing high costs due to the unexpected high usage of benefits in the first year. I guess people who haven't been able to afford health insurance are now covered and using it heavily. The projection for 2015 was an increase of 7% to 28% in premiums due to higher payouts than expected.

Obamacare's Death of a Thousand Rate Hikes - Forbes

What’s driving these price hikes? For one, the insurance pool in the exchanges is older and sicker than insurers expected. Many people who initially signed up are no longer enrolled, either because they got insurance through other means, like employment, or because they didn’t pay their premiums.

Aetna AET -1.76%, for example, reported 720,000 signups as of May 20 — numbers included in the administration’s highly touted claim of 8 million enrollees. But by the end of June, the number of paying customers for the Hartford-based insurer had declined to fewer than 600,000.

The young and healthy are most likely to drop coverage, as they may not see the value in paying premiums if they won’t have the occasion to take advantage of their policies.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread