Have You Ever Gotten Into an Argument About Vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyVapentine

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2015
Sweet Home Chicago
www.vapor4life.com
Hey, V4L vape fam!

SO, my landlord is a former smoker and he won't stop telling me how I should stop vaping because it's no better than smoking.

I've gone back and forth with him about this, but he can't see any of it from my point of view.

Have any of you had an INTENSE argument about vaping with anyone? What was it like? What happened? What did you say?

Thanks!

Lady V

Reactions: redrebel821

LadyVapentine

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2015
Sweet Home Chicago
www.vapor4life.com
I never bother to argue it. If their mind is made up, you're not going to change it. I just tell them I'm not going to discuss it until they're better informed.
I think that's a great take on it. I've especially had a hard time with my parents (yes, even though I am a GROWN ADULT). It seems like every new news article that comes out is anti-vaping (with a few exceptions) and presents some new reason to hate vaping. So, of course, people site that is "knowledge."

I really like your approach, though.

Reactions: Foggy Road

Sylvie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2010
USA
easy to hush them up! i do the tissue test, it's disgusting to do since i don't smoke but, it is worth hushing most up quickly! get two tissues, bum a cig and take big puff without inhaling and slowly blow it into tissue, hand it to skeptical one. do the same with your vape in other tissue and hand it to them and say 'does this look like vaping is just as bad as smoking to you' or however you want to word it..
no one ever bothers me again afterwards, it is how i stopped my skeptical partially brainwashed hubby from constantly nagging at me to quit in the past and even my asthma MIL is okay with me vaping around her and let's me vape in her house!

Maestro

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
You have to remember that being a member of this forum means we are far better informed about vaping vs smoking than the average person. You probably read more vaping related information in one hour than most people have read in their entire lives. Their information is made almost entirely of misleading headlines. You can't expect them to know any more about vaping than they know about quantum mechanics. If they're interested in more information, educate them and encourage them to research it. If they already know all they need to know, then don't waste your time. Your disgust at their lack of information is probably the only thing that would encourage them to look a little deeper into it.

LadyVapentine

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2015
Sweet Home Chicago
www.vapor4life.com
So few people here know about vaping, what most have heard it about e-cigs blowing up. Can't argue because it has happened, though I do point out it's certain types. And like Maestro, I don't waste energy on trying to argue with the uninformed.
Oh, so is vaping a lot less known in Australia than in the U.S.? I got into it when it was already big, so I don't have familiarity with what it was like here when we first started.

LadyVapentine

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2015
Sweet Home Chicago
www.vapor4life.com
You have to remember that being a member of this forum means we are far better informed about vaping vs smoking than the average person. You probably read more vaping related information in one hour than most people have read in their entire lives. Their information is made almost entirely of misleading headlines. You can't expect them to know any more about vaping than they know about quantum mechanics. If they're interested in more information, educate them and encourage them to research it. If they already know all they need to know, then don't waste your time. Your disgust at their lack of information is probably the only thing that would encourage them to look a little deeper into it.
Thanks, Maestro! That's a good point. I think the key is taking emotion out of it. Even when people suggest the craziest things about it!

:p

katz-in-boots

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2011
Under Down Under
Oh, so is vaping a lot less known in Australia than in the U.S.?
Although it it becoming better known here, there are reasons why it isn't as widespread as in the US & UK.
Here it is illegal to sell nicotine products that are not tobacco or authorised 'quit smoking' products (There is a provision that up to 3 months personal supply can be imported under our Theraputic Goods Act - unless something has changed), so it is not such a readily available option. We can buy everything here online but without nicotine it has limited appeal. There was at least one B&M outlet but I believe it got closed down by authorities - don't quote me on that.

LadyVapentine

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2015
Sweet Home Chicago
www.vapor4life.com
Although it it becoming better known here, there are reasons why it isn't as widespread as in the US & UK.
Here it is illegal to sell nicotine products that are not tobacco or authorised 'quit smoking' products (There is a provision that up to 3 months personal supply can be imported under our Theraputic Goods Act - unless something has changed), so it is not such a readily available option. We can buy everything here online but without nicotine it has limited appeal. There was at least one B&M outlet but I believe it got closed down by authorities - don't quote me on that.
Wow. I had no idea about all those things. Over here, the powers that be seem to like having vaping around if they can control it via taxes and the FDA and big tobacco.
I wonder if there's anywhere that vaping is completely accepted.

katz-in-boots

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2011
Under Down Under
Over here, the powers that be seem to like having vaping around if they can control it via taxes and the FDA and big tobacco.

Sadly it may be what it takes for vaping to be embraced by a government. With it comes the regulation and restrictions, however maybe overall it is worth it to get people off cigs.

LadyVapentine

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2015
Sweet Home Chicago
www.vapor4life.com
Sadly it may be what it takes for vaping to be embraced by a government. With it comes the regulation and restrictions, however maybe overall it is worth it to get people off cigs.
In my opinion, yes, although it makes it an unappealing option when taxes cost more than the bottle of juice (as in Chicago). The media doesn't help with its incessantly negative spin on vaping.

Have you encountered that in Australia. It's maddening.

katz-in-boots

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2011
Under Down Under
...The media doesn't help with its incessantly negative spin on vaping.
Have you encountered that in Australia. It's maddening.

Yes indeed. Apart from one excellent British program (Michael Moseley), everything I've seen in the media has been negative, particularly the exploding battery issue but also about the "unicorns", guys with huge, bizarre looking mods. The Samantha Bee program aired here too. There hasn't been a very balanced coverage of vaping.

LadyVapentine

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2015
Sweet Home Chicago
www.vapor4life.com
Yes indeed. Apart from one excellent British program (Michael Moseley), everything I've seen in the media has been negative, particularly the exploding battery issue but also about the "unicorns", guys with huge, bizarre looking mods. The Samantha Bee program aired here too. There hasn't been a very balanced coverage of vaping.
Yeah, nobody seems to want to take it seriously. Or, on the other hand, they take it toooo seriously and start with fear mongering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread