Having issues with smok 350

Status
Not open for further replies.

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
I bought this unit on the first of this month,within 2 weeks I had to take it back to where I bought it,because it got so hot it melted the the batteries inside the unit,they replaced it with another one,this one gets hot,the batteries only last 7 hours,and I run it at 34 watts,the atty leaks I wouldn't recommend this unit

So many questions with this post. Smok is a fairly trusted brand. They've become one of the main name brands around the vaping industry, and I doubt they would put out a defective design. But alarm bells ring when you mention batteries getting so hot they "melt".

My first suspect would be the batteries themselves. with a multiple battery build like that, you need to make sure you buy four batteries at a time. Never mix old/new batteries. As you use lithium ion batteries, the ability to discharge slowly gets worse. A new battery, as a hypothetical example, might discharge down to 4 volts after an hour use. an older one might go down to 3.8 volts. If you have dissimilar or older/used batteries, the higher voltage battery will try to recharge the older battery as well as supply power to the atomizer. This can cause the battery to discharge quicker and get hotter. so, make sure you buy four batteries of the same type and at the same time, and keep those four together at all times.

Second, is make sure the batteries are high drain, and you get them from a reputable company. Even though seller claims they may be Sony batteries, and the wrapper looks like a Sony battery, there have been many cases where they buy a cheaper battery, re-wrap them to look like a Sony (or any other brand) battery, and sell them for twice the amount. The seller may not even know. Reputable sellers buy from trusted places and minimizes this.

Cheri Gill

Jul 19, 2017
So many questions with this post. Smok is a fairly trusted brand. They've become one of the main name brands around the vaping industry, and I doubt they would put out a defective design. But alarm bells ring when you mention batteries getting so hot they "melt".

My first suspect would be the batteries themselves. with a multiple battery build like that, you need to make sure you buy four batteries at a time. Never mix old/new batteries. As you use lithium ion batteries, the ability to discharge slowly gets worse. A new battery, as a hypothetical example, might discharge down to 4 volts after an hour use. an older one might go down to 3.8 volts. If you have dissimilar or older/used batteries, the higher voltage battery will try to recharge the older battery as well as supply power to the atomizer. This can cause the battery to discharge quicker and get hotter. so, make sure you buy four batteries of the same type and at the same time, and keep those four together at all times.

Second, is make sure the batteries are high drain, and you get them from a reputable company. Even though seller claims they may be Sony batteries, and the wrapper looks like a Sony battery, there have been many cases where they buy a cheaper battery, re-wrap them to look like a Sony (or any other brand) battery, and sell them for twice the amount. The seller may not even know. Reputable sellers buy from trusted places and minimizes this.

Gramdogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Fredericton NB Canada
Yeah it sounds like your using flashlight 18650's, high mAh low Amps not ment for vaping. As for the tank leaking the best explanation I've heard of why you hear so much about Smok, kangertech and joyetechs companies quality being poor way more then other brands is because they sell 100x more product then other brands.

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
I bought new batteries at the same time I bought this unit,thereis a ticking sound inside the unit

The best suggestion I can think, is to take your unit to a vape shop and have them take a look at it and give advice. Without seeing/hearing the device, there's no way to accurately say what is wrong. It's probably better to take it to a different company and have them take a look at it as well. An opinion from someone other than the person that sold it to you might be a good idea.

Reactions: Tonee N

Cheri Gill

Jul 19, 2017
The best suggestion I can think, is to take your unit to a vape shop and have them take a look at it and give advice. Without seeing/hearing the device, there's no way to accurately say what is wrong. It's probably better to take it to a different company and have them take a look at it as well. An opinion from someone other than the person that sold it to you might be a good idea.
Thank you,for the advice,I will do that tomorrow

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Reactions: BrotherBob

Mike McVape

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Her batteries may be a contributing factor, but the GX/350 has been plagued with problems similar to what the OP is describing.
That's not the only model of Smok mods having problems, either.
I'm sure any and all makes and models will have their share of challenges. Highly competitive market and we ain't payin for the highest manufacturing standards etc.! The bigger the market share the more challenges will be reported.

While still a newbie at 33 days vaping and off cigs, 4 Smoks have been working flawlessly for me. First 2x Stick V8s now both with a friend, and now 3 weeks in with 2x GX2/4s. (2nd GX2/4 just arrived today)

Reactions: OlderNDirt

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
I didn't mean to imply that all Smok mods are problematic. A friend has a GX350 that hasn't exhibited any problems at all, and there are a slew of Alien users who are delighted as well.

Yes, it is a roll of the dice when buying a new mod these days, but believe me, it was even worse a few years ago. The Vamo was a promising device plagued with quality control problems, and KSD didn't solve the worst of those until the third generation of the mod.

Reactions: BrotherBob

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
Love the 2/4[emoji16]
bad74854d269278eb58ac25d9a3b9429.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well, I'd agree on taking it to a different vape shop that sold it to you, first. If it needs warrantied, you can head straight for where you bought it. I am clueless as to exactly what's wrong, but it would take a lot for me to buy a smoke product.

I will agree that some QM stuff happens out of the gate, on models everyone "wants" (I don't) such as the SmokeAlien mod that ticks boxes a) inexpensive for what it does b) inexpensive period c) highly coveted thanks to what it can *do*. I'm guessing some of the SmokeAlien stuff is user error, I've seen a lot of people pass through here with way too much mod on their hands and no clue how to use it.

And, if you want to be the mod that does the most, the quickest (Smoke an KT are both in this category), then you're going to have some QT issues along the way, I think. And, some mods that don''t work forever....

I value durable equipment. 1) I'm clumsy b) I'm MTL, what mods I have are already plenty powerful c) I'd rather NOT send my vape products back if I can help it.

Anna

Aus11

Verified Member
Jun 16, 2017
Hollywood, FL
Love the 2/4[emoji16]
bad74854d269278eb58ac25d9a3b9429.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I finally know what that blasted tank is, thank you. I want it lol.

But on to the subject it sounds like your batteries. My 350 lasts me around 5 days at 180 watts and I have to try to get it hot. I have no issues with it at all performance wise (although the paint has started going 3 weeks in, there are small spots flaking off which is pretty bad) But as for performance it runs very very well. I am using 4 LG HG2s that are authentic as far as I can tell and were purchased along with the mod.

Reactions: stols001

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
I bought this unit on the first of this month,within 2 weeks I had to take it back to where I bought it,because it got so hot it melted the the batteries inside the unit,they replaced it with another one,this one gets hot,the batteries only last 7 hours,and I run it at 34 watts,the atty leaks I wouldn't recommend this unit
Welcome and glad you joined.
Sorry about your problems, could look into:
18650 Battery Buying Guide for Vapor Users – Wake and Vape Blog
(9) Battery Basics for Mods; the Ultimate Battery Guide | E-Cigarette Forum
Calculating battery current draw for a regulated mod | E-Cigarette Forum
Battery Safety: Will You Marry Me? - Mt Baker Vapor
A Guide to Safe Charging - The Complete Guide to E-Cig Safety
Guide to Choosing a Battery Charger | E-Cigarette Forum
SMOK® Innovation keeps changing the vaping experience!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread