Having loads of trouble with butterscotch DIY

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiz22

Aug 13, 2017
Yea I can not seem to get a good butterscotch flavor.. They all seem to be muted badly. I'm using this recipe
Butterscotch 3%
Butterscotch Ripple 3%
Caramel 5%
Caramel Candy 5%
Vanilla Custard v1 3%
Erythritol Solution 1% or Sucralose 1% or no Sweetner at all
In a 70vg/30pg 1.5 mg base but I just can't seem to get it to "taste" like butterscotch, Smells great but really no taste to speak of.. Looking to have a strong butterscotch taste then I inhale. what am I doing wrong and how do I fix it

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Yea I can not seem to get a good butterscotch flavor.. They all seem to be muted badly. I'm using this recipe
Butterscotch 3%
Butterscotch Ripple 3%
Caramel 5%
Caramel Candy 5%
Vanilla Custard v1 3%
In a 70vg/30pg 1.5 mg base but I just can't seem to get it to "taste" like butterscotch, Smells great but really no taste to speak of.. Looking to have a strong butterscotch taste then I inhale. what am I doing wrong and how do I fix it
Hello.

First of all what manufacturers flavors are you using? Most have the same flavors but profiles and concentrations all differ. It is always important to say which you are using to help others help you.

Every flavor in your recipe needs aged(steeped) so if you are trying for a shake and vape this could be the problem. Allow at least 3-5 days in a dark cabinet with the cap off, replace cap to shake daily, remove cap and forget about it. Within a week you will start to see vast improvements.

Good luck and let us know how it is going.

:)

Reactions: Izan

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Butterscotch 3%
Butterscotch Ripple 3%
Caramel 5%
Caramel Candy 5%
Vanilla Custard v1 3%

Two Questions...

How Long had the mix sat when you Tasted it?

And... Have you tried Mixing at a Lower Total Flavoring Percentage? You are at 19% right now.

wiz22

Aug 13, 2017
Sorry.. So ya
Butterscotch ripple (FW)
Caramel, Caramel candy, Vanilla Custard, and Butterscotch (Signature which I think is TFA)..
I was understanding that you shouldn't breath the juice for more then 12 hours or it would lose flavor, is this wrong??
Umm. I try to give it at lest three days to steep (not with cap off) before I vape it

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Sorry.. So ya
Butterscotch ripple (FW)
Caramel, Caramel candy, Vanilla Custard, and Butterscotch (Signature which I think is TFA)..
I was understanding that you shouldn't breath the juice for more then 12 hours or it would lose flavor, is this wrong??
Umm. I try to give it at lest three days to steep (not with cap off) before I vape it

If your Mix sat for 3 Days after mixing, you should have a Decent Idea of what it will taste like.

I would suggest Dialing Back the total flavoring to 10 ~ 12% and see what happens.

Might also help to Add 4 or 5 Drops of water per 30ml of Mix.

dobroeutro

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2016
North Carolina
Butterscotch 3%
Butterscotch Ripple 3%
Caramel 5%
Caramel Candy 5%
Vanilla Custard v1 3%

Why not drop the caramels & custard and just focus on the butterscotch 1st. The caramel & custard %'s are double the butterscotch and only a distraction from the flavor you want. I'm not surprised that you're not getting "a strong butterscotch taste". Why not just try Butterscotch (TFA) 6% & Butterscotch Ripple (FW) 6% and see if that doesn't get you closer to what you're looking for. After mixing, leave the cap off for 24 hours & allow to age, shaking daily for a week. Good luck... :cool:

wiz22

Aug 13, 2017
Why not drop the caramels & custard and just focus on the butterscotch 1st. The caramel & custard %'s are double the butterscotch and only a distraction from the flavor you want. I'm not surprised that you're not getting "a strong butterscotch taste". Why not just try Butterscotch (TFA) 6% & Butterscotch Ripple (FW) 6% and see if that doesn't get you closer to what you're looking for. After mixing, leave the cap off for 24 hours & allow to age, shaking daily for a week. Good luck... :cool:
I'll give that a try thanks

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Sorry.. So ya
Butterscotch ripple (FW)
The reasons for leaving the cap off on new mixes can be for allowing any ethyl alcohol to evaporate and will help to start the aging process. It may be the alcohol will be gone in 24 hrs. Shake and give a drop on the finger test to taste. If you don't taste any alcohol then put the cap back on and return the bottle to dark area to age. If alcohol is still present then the cap needs to remain off for a bit longer. I have never lost any flavor by doing this.

:)

wiz22

Aug 13, 2017
Gave it a try.. not what I was looking for, but I liked it all the same.. TY for a new vape..

Reactions: dobroeutro

tazzle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2014
Athens, Greece

wiz22

Aug 13, 2017

EarnestAccord

Dec 18, 2015
Butterscotch 3%
Butterscotch Ripple 3%
Caramel 5%
Caramel Candy 5%
Vanilla Custard v1 3%
I'm totally in line with the above advice being drop the non-essentials and drop a little in you %'s. An additional note would be to add, counter intuitive here, a little TFA Strawberry Ripe or Dragonfruit to your mix. Sub-perceptual level of 2% or .5% respectively. That wil create the ever so slight contrasting in your recipe that will make the Butterscotch stand out and apart from, with-out being discernible as "fruit"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread