HCIGAR HB40 (DNA40) REVIEW

Status
Not open for further replies.

T
he mod was supplied to me by Gearbest FOC for test and review with the usual statement to them that I would post as I see it.

The hcigar HB40 is a genuine Evolve DNA40 mod with a genuine chipset packaged into a mod by hcigar. It is of course more expensive having the EVOLVE chipset. The mod comes in a plastic display box to contain the mod and the USB charging cable. The jiffy envelope that it came in was pretty flimsy and I would suggest that they wrap the boxed mod in some bubble wrap before packing it into the envelope. The box was cracked on unpacking, luckily no damage had been done to the mod. It has been in constant use since I got it (about a week).

THE CHIPSET.

T
he soldering appears up to standard with what looks like suitable cabling. The board appears to be glued in place and unfortunately a little crooked, but firmly fixed. The display is level as it should be in the display area.
The mod uses a fixing frame for the board which also has somewhere for the USB socket to attach securely (top right of pic below).
The battery fits securely between the springy metal contact pieces and looks well soldered.

The board does have a cover over it on delivery but I have removed it for the pics. The back cover is held firmly in place on the one I have by magnets in the usual fashion. It appears to be a snug fit with very little movement or noise as I have seen on one reviewed on youtube. The battery fixing includes a loop of black fabric which you can use to remove the battery. I have found that if you leave the excess lying on top of the battery the back cover is not totally flat so it`s better tucked down the side of the battery.

The board doesn`t look great being slightly crooked, but it is firmly in place (glued?) It is generally a well put together mod but a bit more time getting the board lined up straight would be better.

COVER OFF.

THE 510.

T
he 510 is spring loaded with plenty of range in the connection possibilities. Both pics have the same atty connected and working perfectly in both instances.
This seems to be another mod that has a slotted 510 "screw" which is not for adjusting anything. If you do try to adjust it you run the risk of braking the power line to the 510 centre pin.
The 510 is Stainless Steel threaded so should last the lifetime of the mod.

COIL AND ATTY USED.

This is the nickel coil I have been using in the Magma, 7 wraps at 4mm diameter coming in at .21 ohms not close wrapped.

I`ve tried them tight wrapped and get a better vape from them like this and they last for weeks without even needing to change the wick at 430F.

Just a rinse out every other day. The tan colour you see in the middle of the coil washes out, it`s tobacco residue from the essence used in the Hangsen Virginia that I have as my all day vape.

A couple of scope traces from the Magma, the first one from a newly filled dripper.
A to B is the start up sequence of the DNA40 voltage supply to the coil.
The voltage spike you see in the second half of the A to B sequence is the preheat used in the DNA40, then the mod gets up to normal power very quickly.

This is the kind of waveform you would see from a normal tank with plenty of liquid in it.
The B to C section of the waveform is normal operation.

This next waveform is what you would see from a drying wick.
The A to B section is the same as before with the preheat spike marked by waveform between the red dots.
Between B and C it starts up normal operation but the temperature begins to rise because the wick is drying out causing the coil temperature to rise.
Between C and D you can see the power kicking in and out at a high rate so that the mod can stop the coil getting to a temperature where it will burn the wick and
possibly give you some formaldahide etc because of burning liquid caused by too much heat.

So there we have it, it`s a very good mod and I would recommend it, it`s well built and has all the usual DNA40 menu options.

The cheapest I can find this is Gearbest at $110, using HB40 as a discount code will
give you a very nice reduction (working at the moment)

Genuine HCigar HB40 DNA40 40W Variable Wattage APV Box Mod-110.00 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com

This is my first review on ECF. If I have broken any rules,
please inform me and I will make the necessary changes :)

Reactions: zarya2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread