Headaches From Second Hand Vape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerpal

Mar 30, 2017
Before anyone passes judgement on me, I'm a smoker. Cigarette smoke doesn't bother me. Well, except for early in the morning. I do detest the smell of cigarettes early in the morning. LOL! My wife is also a smoker. She recently bought a vape device (excuse my ignorance as I am not that familiar with the vaping terminology). So she, my Wife, started vaping in an effort to quit smoking. We have been having arguments because when she vapes, I get a bad headache. It's more like the feeling of motion sickness or sea sickness. She agreed to stop vaping in the house, however, when I go outside on the back deck to smoke a cig and she comes out to vape I get all sickly feeling when I smell it. So my point to posting this is to seek the communities advice and knowledge. I want to support my Wife's choice in using the vape to ween herself off cigarettes and be smoke free. Too, I'm encouraged by her efforts and would like to follow her lead to be smoke free myself. I am open to any positive suggestions that will help and please understand that I am not an anti-vape person. Your positive suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Before anyone passes judgement on me, I'm a smoker. Cigarette smoke doesn't bother me. Well, except for early in the morning. I do detest the smell of cigarettes early in the morning. LOL! My wife is also a smoker. She recently bought a vape device (excuse my ignorance as I am not that familiar with the vaping terminology). So she, my Wife, started vaping in an effort to quit smoking. We have been having arguments because when she vapes, I get a bad headache. It's more like the feeling of motion sickness or sea sickness. She agreed to stop vaping in the house, however, when I go outside on the back deck to smoke a cig and she comes out to vape I get all sickly feeling when I smell it. So my point to posting this is to seek the communities advice and knowledge. I want to support my Wife's choice in using the vape to ween herself off cigarettes and be smoke free. Too, I'm encouraged by her efforts and would like to follow her lead to be smoke free myself. I am open to any positive suggestions that will help and please understand that I am not an anti-vape person. Your positive suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Welcome to ECF!

It might be the smell of the flavoring she is using in her juice, have her try some different flavors that might be best for you.

Every one is different, it's like liver - my dad hated the smell, I love the smell.. some people react to perfumes, some people don't.

The only thing that has a smell at all in e liquid is the flavorings.. so if she is using fruits have her try some dessert flavors, or vice versa.

Just try some different things, see if you find that helpful. She might also try unflavored just to see if it's the flavors bothering you, and go from there with different flavors to find the ones which are more agreeable to your sensibilities.

Jerpal

Mar 30, 2017
Also, Whenever I have discussed this in other venues, I have been scolded and responded to as if I'm stupid or an anti vape nazi. I'm not. Peanuts are very healthy but some folks have bad allergic reactions to them. I'm just seeking your help and guidance nothing more. So be kind, helpful, and educational. Thanks.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Also, Whenever I have discussed this in other venues, I have been scolded and responded to as if I'm stupid or an anti vape nazi. I'm not. Peanuts are very healthy but some folks have bad allergic reactions to them. I'm just seeking your help and guidance nothing more. So be kind, helpful, and educational. Thanks.

Lol.. no worries. We aren't like that here.. look above your post here.. I have responded already! :)

Jerpal

Mar 30, 2017
Welcome to ECF!

It might be the smell of the flavoring she is using in her juice, have her try some different flavors that might be best for you.

Every one is different, it's like liver - my dad hated the smell, I love the smell.. some people react to perfumes, some people don't.

The only thing that has a smell at all in e liquid is the flavorings.. so if she is using fruits have her try some dessert flavors, or vice versa.

Just try some different things, see if you find that helpful. She might also try unflavored just to see if it's the flavors bothering you, and go from there with different flavors to find the ones which are more agreeable to your sensibilities.

Thank you we will try that.

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Maybe you have a PG or VG allergy?

I have vaped around dozens of people (smokers and non) and have never had anyone complain of headaches or any type of sick feeling.

Weird as 2nd hand smoke is so much worse for likely 99.99999% of the population.

Edit: rub a TINY drop of her juice on your arm. If it reacts in any way, something in the juice doesn't like you!

Good luck..

Parth

Nov 8, 2016
Welcome! I know exactly where you're coming from, I use to smoke and my girlfriend hated it she got nauseous from the smell of smoke. I quit by vaping, and mind you it was about 3.5 years ago. At the time I was vaping a straight menthol (vapor chef zero centigrade or their absolute zero) and the smell irritated her. She almost compared the smell to coolant, though I never smelled it. Best advice would be to go together to a vape shop and have her try the many flavors available and see how you feel. This way you can maybe narrow down the specific flavors that may be making you feel sick.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Parth

Nov 8, 2016
Is there a "flavorless" flavor out there? One that dosen't have a smell?
Hmm there are, it could be a bit hard to find though. Was she a menthol smoker? If so you could go with a straight menthol? If there's any shops near you that make juice you could ask to see if they could make whatever mg nic she vapes unflavored?

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain

Parth

Nov 8, 2016
Wow! The supportive responses so far! At first I was scared to speak up and ask for help because I have been treated so ugly in other forums. You Guys ROCK! Thank you so much for your positive advice!!!!
Looks like you've found the right forum haha. Have her try a few different juices around you, btw what juice is she vaping? Brand/line or flavor?

Parth

Nov 8, 2016
Yes... it's called unflavored.. go somewhere like ECBlends, and have them make you some up in the nicotine strength and PG/VG strength your wife needs.. ECBlend Flavors | E-Liquid | Personal Vaporizers (you will need to call them, or write to them for that.. )
If you go this route, the general ratio is 70/30 (vg/pg). It runs well in most setups.

Jerpal

Mar 30, 2017
Looks like you've found the right forum haha. Have her try a few different juices around you, btw what juice is she vaping? Brand/line or flavor?

We don't really know. Her friend gave it to her as a present. We are really not that versed in the vape community. I'll go ask if she knows.........OK, the "pipe" box says "Wisemec and Reuleaux" She thinks the flavor is "Milk Maid" or "Milk Made". My apologies, we are not young and hip. Us old folk! LOL! Now if you ask me the make and model of our VCR, I'd spit it out to you with a quickness. LOL! Thanks for your help. So glad I found a forum where folks really help out instead of attacking and making me feel stupid.

Jerpal

Mar 30, 2017
Yes... it's called unflavored.. go somewhere like ECBlends, and have them make you some up in the nicotine strength and PG/VG strength your wife needs.. ECBlend Flavors | E-Liquid | Personal Vaporizers (you will need to call them, or write to them for that.. )

New to all this. Is there a EC Blends store in the Memphis, Tn. area? And what is PG/VG? Sorry, all this is new to me. I hope I'm not asking too many questions but thank you for your help.

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
Is there a "flavorless" flavor out there? One that dosen't have a smell?

There is a flavor called dragonfruit which has very little to no noticeable lingering aroma, I mix my own and have not looked for it premixed but I'm sure there are vendors who sell it.

Good luck in your quest, it's pretty awesome that your being so supportive and are willing to search out an alternative :thumb:

Parth

Nov 8, 2016
We don't really know. Her friend gave it to her as a present. We are really not that versed in the vape community. I'll go ask if she knows.........OK, the "pipe" box says "Wisemec and Reuleaux" She thinks the flavor is "Milk Maid" or "Milk Made". My apologies, we are not young and hip. Us old folk! LOL! Now if you ask me the make and model of our VCR, I'd spit it out to you with a quickness. LOL! Thanks for your help. So glad I found a forum where folks really help out instead of attacking and making me feel stupid.
Nice setup! Sadly I wouldnt know of any shops out there. Hmm you could try finding a spot online? Try searching custom ejuice flavors or something along those lines. Firstly though like one of the other members mentioned make sure you don't have a pg/vg allergy. Try the skin test with that juice and maybe another possibly from your wife's friends. Try to narrow it down from there haha.
New to all this. Is there a EC Blends store in the Memphis, Tn. area? And what is PG/VG? Sorry, all this is new to me. I hope I'm not asking too many questions but thank you for your help.

Parth

Nov 8, 2016
There is a flavor called dragonfruit which has very little to no noticeable lingering aroma, I mix my own and have not looked for it premixed but I'm sure there are vendors who sell it.

Good luck in your quest, it's pretty awesome that your being so supportive and are willing to search out an alternative :thumb:
Vitamin water label? If so that juce is great haha.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain

You can order from EC blends online.. I have purchased from them several times, and they are a fine business.. they will ship to anywhere in the United States. Don't worry about buying from them.. they are good. Plus it ships right to your door, no shopping needed.

VG is vegetable glycerin, and it's the main component of e liquid.

PG is Propylene Glycol and is the main secondary component (it is used as a carrier for the asthma medicine in an inhaler, among other things)

(The only other things in e liquid is nicotine and flavoring)

I vape max vg but have a pg allergy.. some people do pg in an 80vg/20pg mix, others a 70vg/30pg mix.. pg carries flavors better than vg, so people use it commonly, plus it thins the vg out more so your coils won't gunk up as much as when using max vg.

The amount of nicotine your wife needs, is dependant upon what she is using (device) and what she used to smoke and in what amount..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread