Heads Up, Chicago

Status
Not open for further replies.

madangus

ECF Veteran
May 10, 2015
Chicago-land
So far our county at least has held back on regular cig taxes, we used to get our cartons out here when we lived in the city. i figure something like the .25 a ml is coming though maybe in a year or 2 or post fda :( i just have a years worth of juice on hand - always hit the seasonal sales - and if the bomb drops some frizen nic and i will teach myself diy.

Reactions: nicnik

Verb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Eastern, PA, USA
Ouch, much worse. Reads as if nicotine free liquids are not tax, but I have no way to know.

image.jpg

mostlyclassics

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
"The budget in cook county is just insane beyond words, and the migration rate is beginning to reflect it."

The idiocy and graft in Chicago city government have been going on for a long time. There are multiple reasons why Chicago has lost almost a million residents since its peak about 40 years ago. This is just one more example.

We live in Evanston and used to do $4,000-5,000 worth of business in Chicago yearly, mostly retail purchases, dining and sports events. Since the Chicago alderoids in their geniusness declared that vapor was the same as cigarette smoke, we've been boycotting the city. In the last couple of years, we've spent less than $100 within the Chicago borders.

I encourage everyone who can do so to boycott Chicago. And if you live in Chicago, do you really have to buy that product or service in the city, or can you get it elsewhere?

And, finally, if it's at all possible, consider moving somewhere else. My business is totally portable; when my wife retires in a couple of years, we're out of Illinois.

Last edited:

Tommy-Chi

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
    Ouch, much worse. Reads as if nicotine free liquids are not tax, but I have no way to know.

I do not have a FB account, I closed it when they asked me to upload an ID, because I was not using a name, but a place for my name. They did not like that.

Is there any way to get those involved in Vape Nation to be active on Twitter or here on ECF?

Was going to go in to business as a distributor for vaping gear and juice, but I'm waiting to see what Cook County and the State of Illinois do. Not going to do anything at all at the moment. The Democrats have placed City of Chicago, Cook County, and State of Illinois tens of billions in debt...and I am trying to be logical about where all of this is going to end. This could be a total disaster for the entire state.

Ordered 5 - 250ml bottles of Nude Nicotine Armor just a few weeks ago, and will do so again in two weeks, and every two weeks after that. The taxes might crush this industry statewide!

squee

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 12, 2013
    Central CT

Tommy-Chi

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    The amendment to raise the liquid tax from 0.25/mL to 0.55/mL is now out of the finance committee and will be given to the city council tomorrow http://media.legistar.com/chic/meet...-966A-A8A3E7512E6C/FINANCE_20151117104401.pdf

If anyone in Chicago wants to kick up a fuss

I'll kick up a fuss, but have already emailed and Tweeted my own Alderman, several other Alderman, as well as the mayor. I do not think there are enough vapers, and look what they did to smokers. A pack of Cigarettes in Chicago is around $13 a pack. I don't have much faith in Illinois government.

If this goes through, I expect vaping to be DOA in Chicago. Who is going to pay $30 to $35 for a 30ml bottle of e-liquid? The B&M are cooked. They're done.

Tommy-Chi

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    I just spoke with one of the shops I go to and they are active in the community, have gone to the local meetings, and he said that the politicians discuss the taxes but do not allow anyone in the audience to speak. There is no give and take from small businesses or the community with the politicians passing the taxes.

He said that his shop will probably relocate outside of Cook County where Chicago is located, whereas at least 50% or more of the other shops will close down completely because they are newer shops and do not have the clientel.

He said for example one of his larger bottles of e-liquids will rise in cost from $65+ to more than $125+ and few are going to be interested in it at that price.

This is a guy who works 70 to 80 hours per week to keep costs down. So much for free enterprise in Democratically controlled zones.

edyle

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 23, 2013
    Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
    The wording seems to be taxing glycerin and pg.

"$0.55 per milliliter of consumable liquid..."

As written,
    You can sell 1 milliliter of liquid nicotine and the tax is $0.55
    But if you mix 1 milliliter of liquid nicotine with a liter of vg/pg/flavor, the tax is now $550.00

The consequence of the tax will be to push people more to diy, and to higher nicotine milligram strengths becomeing more prevalent at points of sale.

Tommy-Chi

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Good thing we stay politically neutral on this topic. It would be awful to assign blame.

I agree to a point. When it become unreasonable that one party has controlled the state for 40yrs though, it becomes all too obvious which party is passing all the taxes. One cannot help but notice.

Tommy-Chi

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    The wording seems to be taxing glycerin and pg.

"$0.55 per milliliter of consumable liquid..."

As written,
    You can sell 1 milliliter of liquid nicotine and the tax is $0.55
    But if you mix 1 milliliter of liquid nicotine with a liter of vg/pg/flavor, the tax is now $550.00

The consequence of the tax will be to push people more to diy, and to higher nicotine milligram strengths becoming more prevalent at points of sale.

YOU'VE GOT IT!

Reactions: LaraC

VapeGodExclusives

Jan 17, 2016
    I'm not so sure it'll stay that way. Can you elaborate?
    One your out of the city the suburban town decides what the tax on Cigs, vapes, etc. There is still a county tax. But it is up to each township decides. My point being is that Chicago is inside Cook county and Chicago politics has a stranglehold on what cook county does. I grew up in lake county and go back frequently. My local B&M in highwood will not be affect by it

nicnik

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 20, 2015
    Illinois, USA
    One your out of the city the suburban town decides what the tax on Cigs, vapes, etc. There is still a county tax. But it is up to each township decides. My point being is that Chicago is inside Cook county and Chicago politics has a stranglehold on what cook county does. I grew up in lake county and go back frequently. My local B&M in highwood will not be affect by it
    Yeah, for now. Anyway, glad to see you sign up and posting.

Reactions: LaraC
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread