• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Health Canada starts shutting down E-Cigarette vendors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dahlialady

ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2013
Montreal
Well here it goes. Here is where the war with Health Canada and Big tobacco starts to get ugly. They are starting to shut down E-cigarette vendors. This is a bad sign for Canadians trying to beat cancer, quit smoking and getting healthier. We have to stand up and fight for our rights. I.e. Sign into the CBC page and post a positive comment on vaping. I hope the vapers of New Glasgow win, and I hope this is not a precedent that Health Canada is setting.

E-cigarette seller told to stop by Health Canada - Nova Scotia - CBC News

Katmandu

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2010
Canada
Wow! They have absolutely no idea who they are messing with by giving Shai that letter. She is well known in the community and you can bet your bottom dollar she will kick some serious ... because she is very well versed in the politics of e-cigs.

Go get 'em Shai!!

And dahlialady I wouldn't worry too much about this letter as Health Canada has been sending them out to vendors since 2009. It hasn't done anything to stop the industry. :)

Steamix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Vapistan
Well, well, well, reading the original paperwork posted in this article, it does sound like a lot of saber rattling.

It's neither drugs nor food and no claims are made to cure anything. If 'delivering nicotine' is in their court I'd wonder if the fellas from BT got their 'cease and desist' letters as well. Seems they are unable to get that into their thick heads...

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Well, Health Canada has been sending 'cease-and-desist' letters to Canadian vendors for years, and a lot of them are still around.
I'm not sure how this is particular story is "news", but we just have to see how things develop. I hope the owner will stay open.

Yup. Lot of suppliers have received these letters. The ones that fight back are still in business because HC backs down.

dahlialady

ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2013
Montreal
Wow. Sorry if I jumped the gun. Since I just started vaping last month and have not had the urge for a cigarette (Could never say that for 33 years) I freaked when I saw this article. It's one of the best things that's ever happened to me and my health. So basically HC has been trying these tactics all along? Well I guess we are better off than some countries where it is illegal.
Vape on!

Glenn_K

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Toronto
I hope the HC letter is just a matter of bureaucrats covering their ... (i.e. the main thing that bureaucrats are good at).

But it's no exaggeration to call the HC letter a 'cease and desist' order (as the CBC headline puts it). We'll see how serious this is after December 10 -- if The End Vapor Shop refuses to reply to the letter, and does not stop selling vape stuff, we'll see if HC ratchets things up and actually applies "more stringent enforcement measures."

It might be useful to think in terms of a legal defense fund, to help the vendor hire legal help that can hand HC a smack down in court.

Regards
Glenn

Concat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Well, I don't want to get into a debate, but your statement is practically a non sequitur considering this has nothing to do with public health care. HC is just the Canadian FDA.

You can, however, look forward to paying about half of what you currently do.

450px-Total_health_expenditure_per_capita%2C_US_Dollars_PPP.png

mechlove

Verified Member
Dec 2, 2013
Mississauga, ON, Canada
It's unbelievable that HC tries to enforce laws that don't even exist. They assume that people don't know the politics of ecigs and that people are going to just listen to whatever they say. Wrong! We new what's going on and we're not going to back down without a fight. This HC threatening vendors is all a game, there is really nothing they can do legally, so we just need to stand out ground and we wont be going anywhere anytime soon!

Talyon

Vape 4 Life
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2013
Toronto
Wow. Sorry if I jumped the gun. Since I just started vaping last month and have not had the urge for a cigarette (Could never say that for 33 years) I freaked when I saw this article. It's one of the best things that's ever happened to me and my health. So basically HC has been trying these tactics all along? Well I guess we are better off than some countries where it is illegal.
Vape on!

Don't be sorry, all news is appreciated, as many of us are fairly new to Vapeing. The more we know the better prepared we can be.

RaymondK

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2013
GTA, Canada
www.ezigcan.com
The vendor still need to consult and pay for legal advice in which case $$$$$. That's the tactics that HC is using and for a small vendor, it will be difficult to fight. At the same time HC is just forcing e-cig to go underground. The pressure must be from the big Tobacco Companies. In Canada those big companies should fight against those cheap native indians cigarettes instead of point the fingers at the e-cigarettes vendors in general. I believe that all vendors should join forces and fight for this across all provinces.

Glenn_K

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Toronto
This is what we in the USA have to look forward to when we finally make the full-fledged transition to socialized healthcare. I feel bad for you Canadians and I feel bad for us since we will be in your shoes in a few short years. My condolences.

I don't see the relationship between this issue and the Canadian healthcare system.

I'm sorely tempted to reply at greater length -- probably like many Canadians, I have a love/hate relationship with our healthcare system. But unlike most Canadians, I grew up in the US and have some first hand knowledge of both systems -- but this really isn't the appropriate place to debate this issue.

Regards
Glenn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread