health concern about nicotine

Status
Not open for further replies.

rico942

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
Carlsbad, CA
I think I'd feel a little sick to have a co-worker drinking out of MY beverage.

Andria

Stuff like this really does happen in the workplace ... :(

I had a co-worker who was infamous for "sampling" any beverage he found, open or not. He was an eccentric "mad scientist" type, protected by management from any criticism or consequences because they needed his PhD on their letterhead... :blink:

My Starbucks Frappuccinos were quite expensive (i DIY them now), but I remembered an old trick used to discourage nail biters ...

Spread a little cayenne pepper on the lip of an open bottle and leave it as bait ...

Problem solved :D

Reactions: AndriaD

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Stuff like this really does happen in the workplace ... :(

I had a co-worker who was infamous for "sampling" any beverage he found, open or not. He was an eccentric "mad scientist" type, protected by management from any criticism or consequences because they needed his PhD on their letterhead... :blink:

My Starbucks Frappuccinos were quite expensive (i DIY them now), but I remembered an old trick used to discourage nail biters ...

Spread a little cayenne pepper on the lip of an open bottle and leave it as bait ...

Problem solved :D

That's funny! Especially about it being used to discourage nail-biting -- it never discouraged me one iota, but it did teach me a real appreciation of cayenne pepper! :lol: The only thing that ever discouraged me from nail-biting was thousands of dollars of dental work. And now that I see how much ICK builds up under the nails of even frequent-hand-washers, *shudder* no way would I bite those puppies!

Andria

Nimaz

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2015
Nicotine is a pretty potent molecule and overdose can be lethal. 30-60 mg for adults and 10 mg for children... If 1 mL = 20 drops at 100mg/ml, 10mg of nicotine = 2 drops, 60mg is 12 drops. In other words 2 drops can be fatal for a child, and 12 for an adult. Your friend may be better off on nicotine gums or lozenges. More expensive but safer for himself and his surrounding. Fatal mistakes happens all the time, especially when kids are around. I would strongly recommend him to find another alternative.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Nicotine is a pretty potent molecule and overdose can be lethal. 30-60 mg for adults and 10 mg for children... If 1 mL = 20 drops at 100mg/ml, 10mg of nicotine = 2 drops, 60mg is 12 drops. In other words 2 drops can be fatal for a child, and 12 for an adult. Your friend may be better off on nicotine gums or lozenges. More expensive but safer for himself and his surrounding. Fatal mistakes happens all the time, especially when kids are around. I would strongly recommend him to find another alternative.

You might want to tell @beckdg that he's dead, then; he vapes 50mg regularly. :rolleyes:

Andria

Reactions: Nimaz

Nimaz

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2015
You might want to tell @beckdg that he's dead, then; he vapes 50mg regularly. :rolleyes:

Andria

I should have check these numbers.... I got them from a thread around Fatal Dose of Nicotine?. I think there was a debate around these numbers but I didn't read the entire posts. My bad... Lets see " the lower limit causing fatal outcomes is 500–1000 mg of ingested nicotine, corresponding to 6.5–13 mg/kg orally. An accidental ingestion of only 6 mg may be lethal to children." That's pretty high for adults ~1/2 to 1L of 100mg/ml of nicotine.

It seems that there is still controversies on that topic. "A 2015 report on e-cigarettes by Public Health England noted an "unconfirmed newspaper report of a fatal poisoning of a two-year old child" and two published case reports of children of similar age who had recovered after ingesting e-liquid and vomiting. They also noted case reports of suicides by nicotine. Where adults drank liquid containing up to 1,500 mg of nicotine they recovered (helped by vomiting), but an ingestion apparently of about 10,000 mg was fatal, as was an injection. They commented that "Serious nicotine poisoning seems normally prevented by the fact that relatively low doses of nicotine cause nausea and vomiting, which stops users from further intake"."

@John Papas I guess your friend is just fine just make sure he doesn't mix that up with the kid's drinks.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
I should have check these numbers.... I got them from a thread around Fatal Dose of Nicotine?. I think there was a debate around these numbers but I didn't read the entire posts. My bad... Lets see " the lower limit causing fatal outcomes is 500–1000 mg of ingested nicotine, corresponding to 6.5–13 mg/kg orally. An accidental ingestion of only 6 mg may be lethal to children." That's pretty high for adults ~1/2 to 1L of 100mg/ml of nicotine.

It seems that there is still controversies on that topic. "A 2015 report on e-cigarettes by Public Health England noted an "unconfirmed newspaper report of a fatal poisoning of a two-year old child" and two published case reports of children of similar age who had recovered after ingesting e-liquid and vomiting. They also noted case reports of suicides by nicotine. Where adults drank liquid containing up to 1,500 mg of nicotine they recovered (helped by vomiting), but an ingestion apparently of about 10,000 mg was fatal, as was an injection. They commented that "Serious nicotine poisoning seems normally prevented by the fact that relatively low doses of nicotine cause nausea and vomiting, which stops users from further intake"."

@John Papas I guess your friend is just fine just make sure he doesn't mix that up with the kid's drinks.

The main thing is, one is capable of ingesting a lot more by swallowing, than by vaping; the 5ml tanks that seem such whoppers? Would barely be a sip, if you drank it. But 2 drops, even of 100mg, in an entire cup of coffee, isn't going to harm an adult, and certainly not one who has already built a tolerance to nicotine.

The other main thing is, nicotine's lethality has been drastically overestimated for a very long time, in an attempt to demonize nicotine. Yes, it is toxic, and in high enough dose, could probably kill anyone, and especially a child -- but for an adult, I think it would take a great deal more to injure or kill than has previously been supposed. Ingesting a high dose of it would almost certainly lead to emesis, which is the body's way of rapidly ridding itself of toxins -- which would solve about 99% of the problem.

Andria

Nimaz

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2015
The main thing is, one is capable of ingesting a lot more by swallowing, than by vaping; the 5ml tanks that seem such whoppers? Would barely be a sip, if you drank it. But 2 drops, even of 100mg, in an entire cup of coffee, isn't going to harm an adult, and certainly not one who has already built a tolerance to nicotine.

The other main thing is, nicotine's lethality has been drastically overestimated for a very long time, in an attempt to demonize nicotine. Yes, it is toxic, and in high enough dose, could probably kill anyone, and especially a child -- but for an adult, I think it would take a great deal more to injure or kill than has previously been supposed. Ingesting a high dose of it would almost certainly lead to emesis, which is the body's way of rapidly ridding itself of toxins -- which would solve about 99% of the problem.

Andria

I seem to have carried on this misconception for a long time. It's probably why the first number I put forward didn't shocked me at first glance. Thank you for educating me on that matter.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
Then my children are dead too.

I better call the schools and inform them. That way I won't be ticketed when they miss a day or two.

Tapatyped

Reactions: AndriaD

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
So you think it will be ok if he continues do that? What if someone else drink from his coffee for example me I'm not smoker.
You drink from my cup and I don't make a regular habit of kissing you, my cup goes down the drain and you may hit the floor.

You drink from someone else's cup and you can rest assured I won't be kissing you for the foreseeable future.

That's a filthy, disgusting, dangerous and stupid habit. I can't think of a less useless and moronic way to risk my health.

Tapatyped

rico942

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
Carlsbad, CA
Putting it on the rim would affect YOU drinking it, too, I would imagine...:shock:

That would have been quite embarrassing ... :blush:

Fortunately, I only had to leave a "bait" Frappuccino one time, and the cure was permanent for the "potation poacher" ... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread