Heather's Heavenly Vapes - THE BIG THREAD (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

retic1959

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2013
New Orleans , Louisiana
Here is my quote of the week, General. All due respect to Mr. Washington, who was the greatest military leader in our history, Mr. Jackson was the greatest field commander to ever walk the earth of any army. His tactics used in the Valley Campaign are still used today to train officers. I truly believe he had to die to preserve the Union. Had Jackson been at Gettysburg, Meade would have been routed on Day 2.
I totally agree with you about Jackson , had he been at Gettysburg the outcome would have been totally different . I am gonna go out on a limb here and say that I suspect Lee of throwing the fight , Pickett's charge was obvious suicide and not in keeping with the tactics previously used , something was rotten in Denmark or Pennsylvania in this case .

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
I totally agree with you about Jackson , had he been at Gettysburg the outcome would have been totally different . I am gonna go out on a limb here and say that I suspect Lee of throwing the fight , Pickett's charge was obvious suicide and not in keeping with the tactics previously used , something was rotten in Denmark or Pennsylvania in this case .

I think Lee had come to believe his Army was invincible. Remember, he had just crushed McClellan, Pope, Burnside, and ...... in detail. They all had military resumes that were much better than Meades. Lee became convinced that the Army of the Potomac was about to break, and one well coordinated push would win the field. Longstreet begged him not to do it. To Longstreet, it was simple mathematics...the distance was too great over open fields for the charge to work.

I don't think Lee did it on purpose, he just failed to realize what the loss of Jackson had done to the Army of Northern Virginia. He had that dawdling, eccentric fool Ewell running the Second Corps. No man could have filled Jackson's shoes, but Ewell was perhaps the worst choice possible. Lee, by the third day of battle, knew Ewell could not be the point of attack. Instead, Lee had his defensive genius engineer an attack, since Longstreet was the best man Lee still had at his disposal. Technically, given Longstreet's options, the charge may have been the best he could do. Longstreet wanted to maneuver and work a flanking movement to his right, but was ordered into the doomed direct assault.

A fascinating set of circumstances let the battle to its conclusion, starting with JEB Stuart going AWOL for days, which is the only reason the armies stumbled upon each other in the town to begin with.

Last edited:

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
I guess I will have to order some in about 2 months when I place my next order. :)

Hmmmm can't say that I have. I don't feel like I'm a protector of anything anymore. I just go with the flow.....

I'm a good girl

Waiting for the pat on the head.... :laugh:

Um Edd.....that's not my head. :sneaky: :pervy:

Oops, sorry, my hand slipped.

Chakris

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
Chakris posted 2 days ago in a mega thread, not so far away:

Wow, thanks for that link! I was aware she still lives in the area, but never knew about such a recent interview. IIRC, she mentioned some of her reasons for getting into TM before the course started, but not in such detail. Great interview.

And it seems we may have graduated HS the same year - Spirit of '76!

So, watching the entire interview, no time for a proper thread catch-up. Skimmed ahead to post 64K and jumped in on Part II to subscribe. Running late already and must head into Destin to start making Cobia jigs before the Cobia arrive this spring.

ETA: Before signing up for the course, I read a book about it as well. Turns out it was essentially the same technique just without the religious references. The course did try to explain what was happening and why it was called "Transcendental". I will say that I've never fallen asleep during TM, though.

I was pretty surprised by it myself, Bimini. She rather reminds me of an older cousin of mine who was not too much younger than Prudence.

Like I said, I'm doing it all wrong and one wouldn't really call it T.M. It's simply controlled breathing, relaxing and turning off all the little voices in your head so you can go to sleep.

Right on! Spirit of '76 :toast: Bi-centenial grads!!!

Last edited:

retic1959

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2013
New Orleans , Louisiana
I think Lee had come to believe his Army was invincible. Remember, he had just crushed McClellan, Pope, Burnside, and ...... in detail. They all had military resumes that were much better than Meades. Lee became convinced that the Army of the Potomac was about to break, and one well coordinated push would win the field. Longstreet begged him not to do it. To Longstreet, it was simple mathematics...the distance was too great over open fields for the charge to work. I don't think Lee did not do it on purpose, he just failed to realize what the loss of Jackson had done to the Army of Northern Virginia. He had that dawdling, eccentric fool Ewell running the Second Corps. No man could have filled Jackson's shoes, but Ewell was perhaps the worst choice possible. Lee, by the third day of battle, knew Ewell could not be the point of attack. Instead, Lee had his defensive genius engineer an attack, since Longstreet was the best man Lee still had at his disposal. Technically, given Longstreet's options, the charge may have been the best he could do. Longstreet wanted to maneuver and work a flanking movement to his right, but was ordered into the doomed direct assault. A fascinating set of circumstances let the battle to its conclusion, starting with JEB Stuart going AWOL for days, which is the only reason the armies stumbled upon each other in the town to begin with.
We will never know what Lee was actually thinking , but the direct assault over open ground in the face of artillery reads as suicidal to me , it just seems strange that a man of Lee's experience and background would make that decision , but perhaps religious convictions drove him as much as they drove Jackson .But I definitely agree about Ewell , Jackson would have taken the high ground , I want to visit Gettysburg someday just for the perspective .

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Ok, just tried Serendipity again after a VERY, VERY long steep. If you can remember back that far, I had said how it tasted like burnt popcorn. So I load up with Serendipity and uh popcorn,faint Burnt popcorn. It's hard to get that taste out of my mouth. I can still phantom taste it. Ugh!

I'm thinking that I got something other than Serendipity. Wasn't Mocha Java, something, the one that people got that burnt popcorn taste? I'm ready to toss this almost full 15ml bottle of Dipity.....

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Ok, just tried Serendipity again after a VERY, VERY long steep. If you can remember back that far, I had said how it tasted like burnt popcorn. So I load up with Serendipity and uh popcorn,faint Burnt popcorn. It's hard to get that taste out of my mouth. I can still phantom taste it. Ugh!

I'm thinking that I got something other than Serendipity. Wasn't Mocha Java, something, the one that people got that burnt popcorn taste? I'm ready to toss this almost full 15ml bottle of Dipity.....

You got Serendipity. I had an even worse descriptor for it that burnt popcorn. :)

Ozwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Montana
Let's get this out in the open, shall we? I am the reason you weren't there.

Oz, you and I had a disagreement that was quite a while ago. You frequent many threads that I do, I don't speak to you and you don't speak to me. That suits me just fine. I feel that I did try to apologize for the remark in the Saloon and that didn't seem to suffice. You have every right to continue to be offended and see my apology as insufficient just as I have the right to feel that I did all that could be expected to make it right. We simply disagree about the incident. It's over and done with. If we need to discuss it further, PM me.

You don't need to avoid this or any other thread on my account. None of them are "mine" or "yours". The big thread is big enough for us both. For that matter, so is the Saloon if you want to go back. If my presence is offensive to you, just ignore me and you won't even see my posts.

In any case, I truly don't have any issue with you at all moving forward.

I don't see any reason to publicly air out dirty laundry, but I will give you a response before moving along. There was no disagreement. You were a .... & I wasn't the only one who thought so - even a mod commented on it. I made a harmless joke, you responded with a personal attack. I never saw anything that even closely resembled an apology & I left that section of the forums for more reasons that just that. I had no interest in digging this all back up, nor socializing in your vicinity.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
there is already better equipment than a dang vivi!:laugh:

can't believe Bronze didn't hop on that one..

After I posted that, I just knew someone was going to jump on it! :laugh:
I meant an even better plug-n-play. No coil making, head rebuilding. I guess what I'm using is about the best in that category. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread