Heather's Heavenly Vapes - THE BIG THREAD (Part 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Oh forgot to answer your other question, we are maybe 20 ft from this house. So a good portion of our vinyl siding is melted and we lost some shutters. A few windows cracked when the cold water hit them. The vinyl around a few windows is melted but they seem to still be sealed in somehow
Boy, sure coulda been worse. So what time did this happen and which one of you were alerted fist?

And congratulations you are the 119,000th post. Go back and make it look nice!

always9988

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2013
Hicktown, OH
Boy, sure coulda been worse. So what time did this happen and which one of you were alerted fist?

And congratulations you are the 119,000th post. Go back and make it look nice!
The owner saw it first and her teenage daughters were just getting off the bus. Around 3pm. I heard tires screech and looked outside, saw smoke and grabbed the kids and ran out. At first I didn't know if it was our house or someone else's til we got outside.

Will do in a few minutes :)

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
The owner saw it first and her teenage daughters were just getting off the bus. Around 3pm. I heard tires screech and looked outside, saw smoke and grabbed the kids and ran out. At first I didn't know if it was our house or someone else's til we got outside.

Will do in a few minutes :)
How long did it take the fire department to get it under control?

Reactions: DavidOH

always9988

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2013
Hicktown, OH
How long did it take the fire department to get it under control?
Took them quite a while to even show up (bad part about a volunteer dept. No one is ever at the station waiting) then probably 20 minutes or so to completely cool ours. 8 different departments total probably 50 men/women. I honestly don't remember how long it was til they had the flames mostly gone and it was about 5 pm they were still getting hot spots and smoke. We left around 6 to go eat when we knew they had everything they needed from us (checking inside for hot spots etc) and when we came back at 9ish they were boarding it up

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Took them quite a while to even show up (bad part about a volunteer dept. No one is ever at the station waiting) then probably 20 minutes or so to completely cool ours. 8 different departments total probably 50 men/women. I honestly don't remember how long it was til they had the flames mostly gone and it was about 5 pm they were still getting hot spots and smoke. We left around 6 to go eat when we knew they had everything they needed from us (checking inside for hot spots etc) and when we came back at 9ish they were boarding it up
Sounds pretty slow reaction time.

retic1959

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2013
New Orleans , Louisiana
Morning army. So we had a pretty crazy day yesterday (yes more than usual)

Neighbor's house burned down and ours is mostly OK but really melty on that side and smells awful in our bedroom. Thankfully everyone got out OK, even the cats. Fire is one of my biggest fears so I didn't get any sleep last night [emoji19] hopefully tonight will be a little better.
Thank God you and your family are ok and nobody else got hurt .

always9988

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2013
Hicktown, OH
Always - I'm so happy to hear that you and family are OK and your neighbors too. I'd say that calls for celebration, millenium or no! You are probably still in shock What a terrible scary thing to happen. Wow.
Yeah it still doesn't feel real. I can't imagine losing everything like that. I'm checking into online sites to keep important documents and pictures on so if something like that happens here we at least have the really important stuff accessible.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
Yeah it still doesn't feel real. I can't imagine losing everything like that. I'm checking into online sites to keep important documents and pictures on so if something like that happens here we at least have the really important stuff accessible.
imagine all 140,000 of your neighbors losing everything in 1 nite.... due to 10'+ flood waters its been 10 yrs since Katrina ( well minus a few days) doesnt seem like 10 yrs...... Retic, does it seem like 10 yrs to you??

LAwaters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2014

With all the paper shredding I had to do, I've also looked into paperless options. I already had Evernote. Then I got Scannable on my iPhone. It takes a photo and let's me upload it to Evernote, which lets me organize by Notebooks. I have an Auto notebook, Utilities notebook, etc.

always9988

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2013
Hicktown, OH
Im always amazed at the power of infrared radiation.... from the picture, it looks as if there is a driveway between the houses. Thats got to be at least 20' from house to house ( unlike Nawlinz where the houses are 4' apart)...
Yeah just talked to her again. It was 30 ish minutes from call to 911 to the first firefighter showing up in his pickup, another 5-10 for the first truck with hose. Here's a few more from yesterday

e16e7f612d069fd08732ec28592edd59.jpg

906cc5225aa5b86d6a0160c8a730c218.jpg

01821c2c6e3e943900b1f59994cf26bb.jpg

imagine all 140,000 of your neighbors losing everything in 1 nite.... due to 10'+ flood waters its been 10 yrs since Katrina ( well minus a few days) doesnt seem like 10 yrs...... Retic, does it seem like 10 yrs to you??
Definitely can't even imagine. And I know many still haven't been able to rebuild. Awful :(

always9988

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2013
Hicktown, OH
With all the paper shredding I had to do, I've also looked into paperless options. I already had Evernote. Then I got Scannable on my iPhone. It takes a photo and let's me upload it to Evernote, which lets me organize by Notebooks. I have an Auto notebook, Utilities notebook, etc.
I've been using Google drive for resumes etc so will probably do the rest on that. It was always one of those "when I get to it" things, but now it'll be my priority next few weeks. I do almost all bill pay online anyway so thankfully most of the important stuff is already online. Technology is amazing isn't it?

DavidOH

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2013
Ohio
Morning army. So we had a pretty crazy day yesterday (yes more than usual)

Neighbor's house burned down and ours is mostly OK but really melty on that side and smells awful in our bedroom. Thankfully everyone got out OK, even the cats. Fire is one of my biggest fears so I didn't get any sleep last night [emoji19] hopefully tonight will be a little better.

Glad everyone is ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread