Heather's Heavenly Vapes - THE BIG THREAD (Part 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Always, that kind of poor renovation stuff makes me crazy. I hope they will be wrapping the house in the repairs. You are facing disruption though. Hopefully it will go quickly along with being done well.

Robin, my poor realtor had to stop me from disclosing every little quirk and issue with the house on the seller's disclosure! Apparently, I don't know how to sell a house. ;) I just thought the new owner should know everything to keep an eye on, and all the stuff that I knew will eventually need to be replaced. None of it was huge or scary. I'm too honest for sales. I think I'll make myself a t-shirt of that.

I've heard Win 10 is pretty good. Until a year from now, people can upgrade and it will be free for a lifetime. Privacy is a concern too, along with the constant updates that are installed automatically. The kind of updates that break things. And like BK said, they keep bloating your computer with stuff that makes it slooooowwwww.
Lori, a used house is expected to have issues. It would be nice to be honest with the new owners but sadly the new owners would use it to beat it over your head with. I put a house up for sale and buyers try to get me to agree to buy them new carpet or appliances or similar. I just say no. Sold as is. I don't want to mess around with all their little games. Here's the house. Here's the price. You either want it or you don't. Next.

LAwaters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2014
Lori, a used house is expected to have issues. It would be nice to be honest with the new owners but sadly the new owners would use it to beat it over your head with. I put a house up for sale and buyers try to get me to agree to buy them new carpet or appliances or similar. I just say no. Sold as is. I don't want to mess around with all their little games. Here's the house. Here's the price. You either want it or you don't. Next.

You're right, of course. It took me a while to see how my kids took advantage of me like that too. ;)

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
You're right, of course. It took me a while to see how my kids took advantage of me like that too. ;)
I prefer the pain of being someone I am not (i.e., an :censored:hole) than the pain of knowing I got took. It's pain either way so I choose the one that yields the least amount of pain.

When your girls are all growed up and have kids of their own they're gonna see the kind of crap they pulled on ole Mom. They may or may not say anything to you but they will, indeed, see it. Seems to be a quality that is passed down from generation to generation. :)

EleanorR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2011
Treasure Coast
Same here. There always seem to be articles about people's phones being bricked. And I'm way too geeky to do an "over the air" update. So much can go wrong via a wireless connection. Now Microsoft is pushing Windows 10. My computer is still Win 7. I'd still be on XP if I could. Charging a monthly subscription for an OS is a tough pill to swallow. I pay monthly for Adobe tools because I need them for my business. But I don't like it one bit.

Thank you for praying! It means a lot and I KNOW it helps.

"Pushing" it is putting it lightly! I can't turn my computer on without having to chase away that annoying "we recommend . . . get it now!" box. :grr:

No thank you. I'll stick with my 8.1, and avoid all the hassles that come with each so-called "improvement"! :D

I've heard Windows 10 is pretty good. There are some things regarding privacy that Are issues but those can be turned off. It takes time to get through all the privacy stuff. They've kind of buried it but can be found.

If you decide to install windows 10, be sure to google how to install without Microsoft being able to get data. I do know that you don't want to install the 'recommended' way, you want to custom install.

Sorry I'm so vague. I don't have a technical mind. I just remember bits and pieces of stuff. :oops:

Thanks for putting out those caveats, Robin!

:facepalm: Ya wonder sometimes what people are thinking. Probably trying to cut costs renovating for a sell. Sheesh. Good thing LA is not like that :wub: :D

No kidding. After a few years watching those "flip houses for money" shows on HGTV, I knew that I wanted to avoid anything even remotely "flipped" when looking for a house down here in FL.!

:thumbs: Ditto! My wonderful 90+ year old house was sold "As Is" -- not taking any chances with whiny or litigious types! :)

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Ditto! My wonderful 90+ year old house was sold "As Is" -- not taking any chances with whiny or litigious types! :)
The problem El is it never ends. I don't have a problem if they want an allowance for carpet, appliances, and similar but it has to be added in the settled price of the home. I understand they are probably cash poor and need cash to update some things they want. Fine, I'll cut them a check at closing...it's just a money transfer. But don't settle on a price and then try to squeeze me to pay for added items. That's when I tell the realtor to tell them no and if they ask again the sale is off. I don't waste my time with those games. If you don't like the faucet in the upstairs bathroom then don't buy the freaking house!

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
"Pushing" it is putting it lightly! I can't turn my computer on without having to chase away that annoying "we recommend . . . get it now!" box. :grr:
You can download it and not install it. It can sit on your computer forever without having to install. Hope that helps a little.

DavidOH

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2013
Ohio
I've heard Windows 10 is pretty good. There are some things regarding privacy that Are issues but those can be turned off. It takes time to get through all the privacy stuff. They've kind of buried it but can be found.

If you decide to install windows 10, be sure to google how to install without Microsoft being able to get data. I do know that you don't want to install the 'recommended' way, you want to custom install.

Sorry I'm so vague. I don't have a technical mind. I just remember bits and pieces of stuff. :oops:

Good Morning :)
I forgot about turning that stuff off. So I just did and it wasn't hard to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread