Heather's Heavenly Vapes - THE BIG THREAD (Part 6)

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Getting old just plain sucks ! The Achilles tendon in my right foot is inflamed and swollen , the Dr. had me on steroids , they helped briefly but I'm right back where I was , every step causes pain , and I'm still working 5-6 nights a week on my feet . Since I'm favoring the right side I'm having trouble with sciatica in my left leg . The fun never ends .
Had that too Ret (I'm healthy as a horse but inflammation has been a constant problem since I was in high school). Back when I was in my mid 20's. Couldn't walk or even stand without pain. Cortisone shots, various steroids, etc. All worked fine but all were temporary. Went on for 2 - 3 years and my chiropractor ended up fixing it. He outfitted me with custom made foot pads (stepped in a mold so they fit my feet perfectly). About 4 - 6 weeks later the inflammation was gone. Nowadays they have these "Good Feet" stores that essentially do the same thing. The problem occurs when your feet are not aligned properly. The pressure of all your weight rides on just a few small spots on the bottom of your foot. It shoves your bones all over the place and stresses out the tendons/ligaments in your foot and causes inflammation in your achilles (potentially in the knees, hips, and lower back too due to compensation). The foot pads spreads the load out evenly and puts your bones back where they belong and the inflammation subsides. Here's their website. Not cheap, but very effective. One warning....follow their instructions. Biggest mistake people make is to wear them all day when they get them. Bad mistake. It will cause unbelievable soreness in your calves, knees, and hips. They'll have you work your way up. Maybe two hours the first few days then four hours the next few days, etc eventually working you up to full time. Follow their schedule.

Franchise|Foot Pain|Heel Pain|Plantar Fasciitis |Arch Supports | Good Feet

Probably have vids on You Tube too.

Last edited:

LAwaters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2014
Getting old just plain sucks ! The Achilles tendon in my right foot is inflamed and swollen , the Dr. had me on steroids , they helped briefly but I'm right back where I was , every step causes pain , and I'm still working 5-6 nights a week on my feet . Since I'm favoring the right side I'm having trouble with sciatica in my left leg . The fun never ends .

Worst injury I ever experienced: when I tore my achilles. It was prone to flare ups for years after.

I used a brace like this and it helped more than I would have thought. Simple wraps didn't do a thing other than irritate it. This kind has compression, gel padding and a soft silicone orthotic. The orthotic was key because it kept my ankle in a toe-down angle. That's a more neutral position. The further down your toe points, the more relaxed the achilles is. My cast was around a 45 degree angle - so I could only step on my toes on that foot.

I wore the brace to sleep too - again, it kept the achilles neutral and the compression helped with the inflammation. I wore it to walk around and it greatly reduced the pain. It flexes, so you walk normally - not on your toes. :)

It's expensive - at around $100. But it was worth every single penny. I actually had two for when one was washed and drying.

Bauerfeind AchilloTrain Pro Achilles Tendon Support | Achilles Bursitis Treatment

achillotrain-pro-achilles-ankle-support-bauerfeind.jpg

Chakris

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
Worst injury I ever experienced: when I tore my achilles. It was prone to flare ups for years after.

I used a brace like this and it helped more than I would have thought. Simple wraps didn't do a thing other than irritate it. This kind has compression, gel padding and a soft silicone orthotic. The orthotic was key because it kept my ankle in a toe-down angle. That's a more neutral position. The further down your toe points, the more relaxed the achilles is. My cast was around a 45 degree angle - so I could only step on my toes on that foot.

I wore the brace to sleep too - again, it kept the achilles neutral and the compression helped with the inflammation. I wore it to walk around and it greatly reduced the pain. It flexes, so you walk normally - not on your toes. :)

It's expensive - at around $100. But it was worth every single penny. I actually had two for when one was washed and drying.

Bauerfeind AchilloTrain Pro Achilles Tendon Support | Achilles Bursitis Treatment

View attachment 593001

My foot pain occurs in the balls of my feet if I've been standing a lot. Seems like the meaty part of the foot, just behind the toes, has gotten flatter as I get older.

I have to get super spongy shoes and flip-flops otherwise I can't walk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chakris

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
My foot pain occurs in the balls of my feet if I've been standing a lot. Seems like the meaty part of the foot, just behind the toes, has gotten flatter as I get older.

I have to get super spongy shoes and flip-flops otherwise I can't walk.

PS morning Army!

DavidOH

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2013
Ohio
Evening...... I was vaping Pineapple Mango Smoothie last night in the Mutation at 65 watts. Can't taste much pineapple but it's not bad. I'd call it a light flavor. Anyway setup the Lemo 2 like I do and headed for work. Didn't realize till on the way home that I forgot to lower the watts to 40. So I vaped Serendipity all day at 65 watts. No wonder the L2 kept trying to dry hit on me.:?: Hohmtech may come out with another mod but it will not be sold in the US. So if I want one when they do I'll have to get from an overseas vender. The FDA can not stop people from getting what they want.

retic1959

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2013
New Orleans , Louisiana

View attachment 593001
Had that too Ret (I'm healthy as a horse but inflammation has been a constant problem since I was in high school). Back when I was in my mid 20's. Couldn't walk or even stand without pain. Cortisone shots, various steroids, etc. All worked fine but all were temporary. Went on for 2 - 3 years and my chiropractor ended up fixing it. He outfitted me with custom made foot pads (stepped in a mold so they fit my feet perfectly). About 4 - 6 weeks later the inflammation was gone. Nowadays they have these "Good Feet" stores that essentially do the same thing. The problem occurs when your feet are not aligned properly. The pressure of all your weight rides on just a few small spots on the bottom of your foot. It shoves your bones all over the place and stresses out the tendons/ligaments in your foot and causes inflammation in your achilles (potentially in the knees, hips, and lower back too due to compensation). The foot pads spreads the load out evenly and puts your bones back where they belong and the inflammation subsides. Here's their website. Not cheap, but very effective. One warning....follow their instructions. Biggest mistake people make is to wear them all day when they get them. Bad mistake. It will cause unbelievable soreness in your calves, knees, and hips. They'll have you work your way up. Maybe two hours the first few days then four hours the next few days, etc eventually working you up to full time. Follow their schedule.

Franchise|Foot Pain|Heel Pain|Plantar Fasciitis |Arch Supports | Good Feet

Probably have vids on You Tube too.
Thanks Bronze & LA , I'm gonna look into both of these , cortisone shots are just a stopgap measure.

Hulamoon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2012
Waikiki Hawaii
I finally shook plantar fascitis with a cortisone shot, followed by wearing some $38 insoles from the pharmacy counter at the clinic. Not sure if that would help the achilles tendon though. But wearing flat heel shoes can do a lot of damage and wearing a heeled shoe puts more pressure on the front of the foot. Hope you find something that works for you. Right now I can't lift my left arm above shoulder height, but it will sort itself out eventually I hope! Jeez, we're the old farts club ain't we!

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Thanks Bronze & LA , I'm gonna look into both of these , cortisone shots are just a stopgap measure.
Exactly right. Cortisone shots work great but they don't last but a couple weeks give or take. One more word on the foot pads. I wore my custom pads for a few years (back when I was in my 20's). I actually wore them out (they were made of leather). But I found I did not need them anymore. My feet had completely healed. Then about 15 years ago they started acting up again. That's when I went to Good Feet. Got me the most expensive option (I think it was a few hundred bucks then). Wore them about a year and once again my feet healed completely. Haven't needed them since but I still have them if I need them and actually used them a few times for part of the day when my feet were tired.

I finally shook plantar fascitis with a cortisone shot, followed by wearing some $38 insoles from the pharmacy counter at the clinic. Not sure if that would help the achilles tendon though. But wearing flat heel shoes can do a lot of damage and wearing a heeled shoe puts more pressure on the front of the foot. Hope you find something that works for you. Right now I can't lift my left arm above shoulder height, but it will sort itself out eventually I hope! Jeez, we're the old farts club ain't we!
Bursitis. Had that too. :) Anything inflammation related I think I've had. Mine lasted about 18 months before it went away. Like you, could not lift my arm.

Finally got around to reloading some 44 mag rounds... 1000 of them :)
date on my last reloads.... 12/9/2009
its been a while ;)
Didn't know they had that short of a shelf life.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Good Morning :)

Thanks on the congrats on the house moving along :D

I don't know if I'm starting too early but I have been slowly boxing things up in preparation.
As you're boxing stuff up way, way, way in advance ask yourself if you REALLY need that stuff. :)

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
As you're boxing stuff up way, way, way in advance ask yourself if you REALLY need that stuff. :)
The things I am boxing up now are things that won't be used because we won't have any overnight visitors until the house is built. Also taking care of books, knick knacks, extra sheets, extra guest towels... things of that nature. Now I do have things in the garage attic that I will get rid of. They have been up there for three years (we were only going to stay in this place a year) and I have not missed those.

Users who are viewing this thread