Heather's Heavenly Vapes - THE BIG THREAD (Part 6)

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
Why would a timing chain be leaking water ?

some vehicles place the pump on top of the TC cover, the leak proceeds backwards in that direction instead of forward on the outer shaft seal.... but since it is ...... while running, most likely the front seal ( the one behind the pulley ) is shot...

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
some vehicles place the pump on top of the TC cover, the leak proceeds backwards in that direction instead of forward on the outer shaft seal.... but since it is ...... while running, most likely the front seal ( the one behind the pulley ) is shot...
The point being is to find where the leak is coming from first. I assumed the leak I had was coming from the water pump so I changed it out and that wasn't where the leak was coming from. And what a job that turned out to be scraping the old water pump gasket off. Took hours. Turned out the TC cover gasket had a leak. Had to rip all kinds of stuff out to get to it.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
The point being is to find where the leak is coming from first. I assumed the leak I had was coming from the water pump so I changed it out and that wasn't where the leak was coming from. And what a job that turned out to be scraping the old water pump gasket off. Took hours. Turned out the TC cover gasket had a leak. Had to rip all kinds of stuff out to get to it.

On this Taurus, the Water Pump is below and behind the Alternator. And the Idler Pulley is mounted onto one of the Water Pump Bolts. And the Heater Hose connector is conveniently located behind the Motor Mount. And everything is 12 years old and has 160,000 miles on it. Except the alternator, which I must have replaced somewhere along the way. And the twelve bolts that mount the Water Pump are two different sizes.
Everything is finally out of the way, tomorrow I remove and replace the Water Pump (it got dark before I was finished).

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
On this Taurus, the Water Pump is below and behind the Alternator. And the Idler Pulley is mounted onto one of the Water Pump Bolts. And the Heater Hose connector is conveniently located behind the Motor Mount. And everything is 12 years old and has 160,000 miles on it. Except the alternator, which I must have replaced somewhere along the way. And the twelve bolts that mount the Water Pump are two different sizes.
Everything is finally out of the way, tomorrow I remove and replace the Water Pump (it got dark before I was finished).
Not too much digging.

My idler pulley went out on me on I-95 on the way to Florida over Independence Day. With the tow and repair (it took out my radiator too) it cost me $720. I could have bought the idler pulley for $16 and changed it in 9 minutes. Get a new idler pulley (and any other pulley that isn't connected to a component). At 160,000 miles it is in its twilight. Cheap insurance. I also change out all the radiator hoses seeing the coolant is basically already drained out anyway. :)

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Not too much digging.
I also change out all the radiator hoses seeing the coolant is basically already drained out anyway. :)

I am considering changing out the radiator and heater hoses, and the Thermostat as well. Got this car second hand from Avis Rentals 10 years ago, and it has been good for Mamaw. Doesn't really owe us anything after 130000 miles she has put on it.

Good Morning Army. Friday is getting closer !
Have a Safe and Blessed Day :)

Chakris

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
Just found out today that the official period for mourning for the king will one month... Which means all the regularly scheduled programs on Thai TV will cancelled.

TV announcer: "Good evening ladies and gentlemen. Please stay tuned as we give live minute by minute updates of the moments after our beloved King's passing.

Followed by yet another showing of the "The Life of Our King"

CUT REPEAT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Just found out today that the official period for mourning for the king will one month... Which means all the regularly scheduled programs on Thai TV will cancelled.

TV announcer: "Good evening ladies and gentlemen. Please stay tuned as we give live minute by minute updates of the moments after our beloved King's passing.

Followed by yet another showing of the "The Life of Our King"

CUT REPEAT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:facepalm:

Users who are viewing this thread