Heather's Heavenly Vapes - THE BIG THREAD (Part 6)

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Good Morning Army. Robin, are you sure a little 440 Volt therapy won't clear that up ?
Just kidding....
Standing outside the DMV, totally at their mercy. Getting forgetful in my old age. Forgot my CDL-A license expired June 14th of this year. Got Mamaw out of bed to bring me here, after driving nearly 4000 miles since the 14th.
If they ask, I might answer "......... Really nasty burrito" just to see if these DMV types have a sense of humor.
As long as I don't get the guy from 'Blacklist' I'll be happy....

Have a Safe and Blessed Day :)

I pray it gets fixed quickly!

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Good morning everyone!
Good morning C and Army.

So I have five crepe myrtles along the driveway I have to take down. Asian Ambrosia Beetle. They bore pin size holes in the tree and infest it with a fungus that chokes off the water and nutrients. The tree will die. No remedy. They must be chopped down and burned. Bugs suck!

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Good morning :)

Slept like crap last night but kinda thought I would since I'm wearing a pump. One worries about getting caught up in the tubing. Oh well, one more night and it will be off. Then they can take the dressing off the incisions and it can really start healing.

So far I've only had one side effect. The one they call 'first bite'. If you've ever bit into something and have gotten a sharp zinger in your jaw, that is what first bite feels like. Except a bit stronger. From what I've read, most just get it once and don't experience it again that day. Seems I will be one that gets each time I start eating. It only happens that first bite of the meal. The rest of the meal is fine.

This is only temporary. Keep my eye on the prize! ;)

Other than that, I'm feeling great:)

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Good morning C and Army.

So I have five crepe myrtles along the driveway I have to take down. Asian Ambrosia Beetle. They bore pin size holes in the tree and infest it with a fungus that chokes off the water and nutrients. The tree will die. No remedy. They must be chopped down and burned. Bugs suck!
Oh! That does suck!

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Oh! That does suck!
A teeny tiny beetle less than the size of a pin head. Came from Asia in 1974. Started in the Carolinas and spread to the rest of the country. Once they infest the tree it is over. As a horticulturist told me, "You have one of the worst landscape pests imaginable". And you got to chop it down and burn it so they don't spread to other trees. Marvelous.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
A teeny tiny beetle less than the size of a pin head. Came from Asia in 1974. Started in the Carolinas and spread to the rest of the country. Once they infest the tree it is over. As a horticulturist told me, "You have one of the worst landscape pests imaginable". And you got to chop it down and burn it so they don't spread to other trees. Marvelous.
I cannot 'like' that. :(

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
I cannot 'like' that. :(
You can prevent these things from infesting a tree by spraying the appropriate insecticide on the tree. But once infested it's too late. Prevention is nice and all but you do not know you have a problem until it's too late. I can spray other nearby trees anyway. Also, on the positive side, a crepe myrtle is one of the very few trees you can chop to the ground and it will grow back. So I will do that. Will have to treat the stump but that's no big deal.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Also, the squirrels that went inside my attic walls from the roof are back chewing up my repair work. Little bastiches! Gonna have to put screening up there to keep them out. Wish I could find some hawk piss or something to spray up there. Maybe I'll send the neighbor's cat on the roof to see if he can pick them off. He's been up there before and he's an excellent hunter.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Good morning C and Army.

I'm so sorry.. definitely treat all the other trees, not only near that one but all on your property to be safe.. them little bugs are no fun at all! Amazing how problematic such tiny things can be isn't it?

Cats.. Cats can be great for your squirrel problem! If it's not one thing it's another isn't it?

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
I'm so sorry.. definitely treat all the other trees, not only near that one but all on your property to be safe.. them little bugs are no fun at all! Amazing how problematic such tiny things can be isn't it?

Cats.. Cats can be great for your squirrel problem! If it's not one thing it's another isn't it?
Never ends. I can't spray all the trees on my property. I live in a forest and would need a tanker's-worth of insecticide. I'll just hit the trees nearby that these beetles like (they don't like all trees). That will include some of the neighbors. I swear, I see more bizarre creatures living in the woods. I'm also battling woodpeckers and squirrels. Just got done repairing all their damage and painted the house. Now they're back up to their dirty deeds again.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Never ends. I can't spray all the trees on my property. I live in a forest and would need a tanker's-worth of insecticide. I'll just hit the trees nearby that these beetles like (they don't like all trees). That will include some of the neighbors. I swear, I see more bizarre creatures living in the woods. I'm also battling woodpeckers and squirrels. Just got done repairing all their damage and painted the house. Now they're back up to their dirty deeds again.

Pepper spray where they visit... the entry to the attic where they keep getting in.. they don't like hot pepper sauce, and if you mix it with a little water in a spray bottle, it might help.

I hear you on too many trees!

Last edited:

Chakris

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
Good morning C and Army.

Yup, they sure do. We had a couple plants that got blown off their pedestals from a recent storm. As I was setting the second one back up, this swarm of tiny green bugs comes flying out. Had to drop the plant 'cause these buggers sting!

Good morning :)

Slept like crap last night but kinda thought I would since I'm wearing a pump. One worries about getting caught up in the tubing. Oh well, one more night and it will be off. Then they can take the dressing off the incisions and it can really start healing.

So far I've only had one side effect. The one they call 'first bite'. If you've ever bit into something and have gotten a sharp zinger in your jaw, that is what first bite feels like. Except a bit stronger. From what I've read, most just get it once and don't experience it again that day. Seems I will be one that gets each time I start eating. It only happens that first bite of the meal. The rest of the meal is fine.

This is only temporary. Keep my eye on the prize! ;)

Other than that, I'm feeling great:)
Sorry to hear the side effects are keeping you up - hope you feel better when they take the pump off.

Mama Chak is having problems sleeping tonight. I think she's got herself all worked up about having company coming tomorrow that she now feels she needs to go to the hospital. When I try to explain that they aren't gonna be able to do anything that we're not already doing, she gets even more upset. The only thing they might do is give her a stronger sedative than I have.

Since I have to go to pick our guests up at the airport, I have to get some sleep so I just left to sleep in another room. (the caregiver is sleeping downstairs). I woke two hours later to pee and she's still calling out for someone to take her. Lord help me, I hate leaving her like that - I thought maybe she'd finally get tired and fall asleep, but she's a stubborn old thing.:facepalm: :(

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Yup, they sure do. We had a couple plants that got blown off their pedestals from a recent storm. As I was setting the second one back up, this swarm of tiny green bugs comes flying out. Had to drop the plant 'cause these buggers sting!

Sorry to hear the side effects are keeping you up - hope you feel better when they take the pump off.

Mama Chak is having problems sleeping tonight. I think she's got herself all worked up about having company coming tomorrow that she now feels she needs to go to the hospital. When I try to explain that they aren't gonna be able to do anything that we're not already doing, she gets even more upset. The only thing they might do is give her a stronger sedative than I have.

Since I have to go to pick our guests up at the airport, I have to get some sleep so I just left to sleep in another room. (the caregiver is sleeping downstairs). I woke two hours later to pee and she's still calling out for someone to take her. Lord help me, I hate leaving her like that - I thought maybe she'd finally get tired and fall asleep, but she's a stubborn old

You might call her doctor and ask for some stronger medicine for her.. it might be helpful and in her position I'm sure he will give her anything she needs without question..

But DON'T blame yourself for needing sleep, and needing to take care of you! Your no good to her if your not taking care of yourself.. so try not to feel bad.

Last edited:

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
So anyways... I forgot to report back no issues with the DMV. They didn't even mention that I was late getting it renewed. I got there early enough to be in, out and done by 8am, so I took Mamaw to breakfast.
One little oddity - the State of North Carolina has outsourced the making of Driver's Licenses. I have a piece of paper that looks like a license, I will get the real one in the mail within two weeks.

Chakris

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
You might call her doctor and ask for some stronger medicine for her.. it might be helpful and in her position I'm sure he will give her anything she needs without question..

But DON'T blame yourself for needing sleep, and needing to take care of you! Your no good to her if your not taking care of yourself.. so try not to feel bad.

I finally gave in and admitted her to the hospital. Hopefully, she gets the rest and medication she needs. Dr.'s first prognosis today is "depression". We'll see how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
Good Morning Army. Robin, are you sure a little 440 Volt therapy won't clear that up ?
Just kidding....
Standing outside the DMV, totally at their mercy. Getting forgetful in my old age. Forgot my CDL-A license expired June 14th of this year. Got Mamaw out of bed to bring me here, after driving nearly 4000 miles since the 14th.
If they ask, I might answer "......... Really nasty burrito" just to see if these DMV types have a sense of humor.

they work for the Government.... to work for the government requires that one doesnt have a sense of humor... there is even a joke about it in "The Men In Black"... I deliver to alot of governmental establishments and no one has even shown the capacity for humor.... the Post office being the worst of the bunch...

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
Just kidding....

need more voltage?? I have the perfect item ;)

Users who are viewing this thread