Heatvape Defender 2 50W Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

st-tches

Aug 4, 2013
United States
I was doing very well in my efforts to replace smoking with vaping, until my VTR broke half a year ago, after which I started smoking again.

I went to the only vape shop in my horrible area - 30 minutes away - in search of a new setup not too long ago. What I walked out with was a cool mod with "Defender" on it that I had never heard of, and a Tobeco Super Tank. After some research I found out it was the Heatvape Defender 2, with a max of 50W. I couldn't find an English review for this thing ANYWHERE, so I decided one was in need.

While I'm waiting for my Mother's Milk and DDV juices to get here, I also grabbed "Surreal" from the same shop, a dead-on delicious Fruit Loops juice. The reason I bring this up is this is the only setup I've ever tried this juice on, so I have no "control variable" whatsoever if you guys know what I mean.

(Had to use imgur because my phone's pictures - even after being cropped - are too large to upload here)

Anyways, on to the specs:
5W - 50W, 2V - 8V, .2 ohms - 3 ohms; with short-circuit, low-voltage, and overcharge protection. 5-click on/off, 3-click VV/VW toggle. It can be used while charging via the mini-USB port, which is glorious. Normally the display shows battery life, resistance, wattage, and voltage. While firing, it shows the time it's being fired for and the voltage or wattage you are at. With a .5 ohm coil, it never gives me a reading below .49 or above .5.

With the blue Super Tank, this thing is just beautiful. I love box mods but I am very aesthetically picky about them because there are many that just look like paperweights with a tank to me, with little in terms of design. The Defender II is an ergonomic, sleek, smooth, light but still weighty pleasure to use. The battery is held in by a little screw-on circular part that can be turnee perfectly with a COIN. I love this. It's possible to open with a fingernail but a quarter or dime fits the slit perfectly and is easily used to loosen/tighten it. On one side of the device are the: on/off button, +/- buttons, and OLED screen. The mini-USB port is located at the top of the other side.

The buttons are very slightly rattly if you shake it hard, but they feel very good and rather sturdy. The screen looks great and the machining on the whole device is amazing. Aside from the small shiny areas on the top/bottom and the buttons, NO fingerprints. From the minimum wattage all the way to 50W and everything in between, the Defender 2 seems very accurate and consistent.

With a 3000 mAh, 35A high-drain battery and being constantly on, it holds a full charge for the majority of the day. This is with me vaping (mostly mouth to lung) very frequently at 25W-40W, mostly at 30W for the first third of the day and 35W+ for the rest. Since this device can be used as a pass through, I have recently started plugging it in for a little while once or twice a day to avoid having low battery.

There are only two small "problems" I have with this device, one is mainly user error and the other is mainly user error in combination with the Super Tank, but they should be mentioned (though they are nothing close to being deal breakers and I would barely even consider them minor nuisances).
First, every now and then when I press the button very lightly it only registers for around .1-.4 seconds, but I feel this isn't a problem with the device, just me every once in a while.
Second, every now and then when I try to fire the mod it gives me a "Protection" warning. Since there is a gap with the tank I am using and the mod, I try to avoid over tightening the tank like the plague, plus I like lining up the tank so it's all "centered" with the mod and since I don't want to over tighten I loosen it a little to achieve this. Essentially, sometimes I think I don't quite screw it in tight enough and it reads it as a problem that requires protection against, thus preventing the mod firing for a couple seconds or until I tighten it a tad bit more.
Not really problems, just observations based on small issues I'd imagine other people might encounter and what I believe to be easy fixes or explanations for said issues.

All-in-all, the Heatvape Defender 2 is an AMAZING mod. With no real issues, a 50W max, sleek design, use of an 18650 battery, micro-USB and pass through capabilities, and a FIFTY DOLLAR (or less online) price tag; the Defender 2 is a fantastic affordable little box mod with a nice form factor. It feels well-made and durable, and looks the same. Highly recommended despite the total lack of information on it (minus product descriptions).

EDIT: Actually if you're getting a nonsensical protection warning try screwing the battery hatch closed a tiny bit tighter or loosening the negative contact thing, may have just solved the infrequent problem.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread