Status
Not open for further replies.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Welcome @BuddyC

The best advice I can offer is to shop at an independent online store (or real shop) that sells ALL the brands of e-cigarette
Kanger, Eleaf, smok, Joyetech, Innokin, Aspire, vaporesso, Sigelei, Smoant... etc.

If the shop you are looking at only sells their own brand (which will be the same products, only with a different label) then you can expect to be taken advantage off $$££.

Please do not pay $99 for a $29 e-cig. Do not trust fake reviews and fake review websites.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
purchase a juice high in nicotine content ( 18 - 36) a mod and tank that is lower in price ( 20 - 40$) no need to buy a hi end unit that is expensive, just in case it doesnt work for you... hi nic content will give you more nic per puff and satisfy the urge better than a low nic juice and you wont need to vape as much to become satisfied. Once you find out if vaping is going to work for you then make the upgrade purchase later... I started out with an Ego battery and an Evod Tank with 36 nic juice. It worked for me...

pwheeler

Just Vaping
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2013
Weimar, TX
I started with Egos and 24mg nic and it got me off of cigs. Every time I had the urge to smoke, a few hits on the ego took it away. As was mentioned, you don't need high end stuff. Just find something online or your local store (careful with that), with some high nic juice and it may very well liberate you from the cigarettes.

Sent from my HTC Desire Eye using Tapatalk

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Hi all,

I am new here. And A heavy smoker. Now want to try E cigarette product. If there who can advise me How should I choice product? What point I need to care?

Thanks all.

Hi BuddyC. Welcome to the ECF.

The best advise I can give is to Not Think that whatever e-Cigarette you buy will likely be you last. Same with whatever e-Liquid you start with. There is just some Trial n' Error that needs to occur for Most People to find a Set-Up that Works Best for them.

That is Why you will get a Range of Suggestions from people. Because everyone is different.

When I switched to Vaping, I bought Starter Kit after Starter Kit. And told myself that even if I spent the Same Amount on Starter Kits than I did on Cigarettes, about $180/Month, that I was OK. Because Cigarettes were slowly Killing Me.

Last edited:

Gramdogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Fredericton NB Canada

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I really like the aspire tanks, I have a larger sub ohm one that I got for free, but I use the Nautilus tank 2, which gives you different options for coils to use, I know vaping huge clouds all day doesn't work for me, but using a higher nic juice more like I'd use a cigarette is easier. That said, things have come really far since the old days.... I'd go to a reputable e-cig store that has different options and they can show you how they work. Higher nic liquid is probably useful at first, as it will give you a more immediate nicotine punch.

I concur with everyone who says don't sweat it too much for your first set up and buy something less expensive due to the fact that over time, I'm guessing your vape preferences will change, and even if they DON'T, some makers make sure to make their set ups last approx 6 months (some of them, and KangerTech I'm calling you out, here, it seems like they have some sort of built in self-destruct sequence after 6 months, though they look and handle great in the store.... LOL, that's just me personally, some ppl swear by them, but I am clumsy.)

But, you don't want to spend too much money up front until you have things working and can buy new/crazy/expensive stuff, if that's your desire.

You might want to start with smaller bottles of diff nic strength to see which works best for you, and you might want diff strengths at different times...

Good luck! Anna

rob33

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
A World Traveler
I'll try to save you some cash here. I was a heavy smoker and started vaping in 2008. I never totally quit until the RDA (rebuildable drippiing atomizer) came out and devices over 20w, even then I was still at 18mg nicotine. Since then I gave up smoking totally and I'm at 6mg now. You could get you a cheap kit to see if it is for you. If you are 2 pack a day smoker you will need some serious equipment to really quit.

Last edited:
Reactions: David Wolf

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
I was a 40 year 3 pad smoker and I quit with an old cig-sized and cartomizer in 3 days.(That was 5 years ago) I don't suggest that, but you might be best on an ego/evod sized or a smaller eleaf istick nautilus type. Anything that is what we call mouth-to-lung style (MTL). Tighter draw to replicate a cigarette. No need to start expensive until you find what you like. You can experiment later.

Something like this (should be able to find it cheaper).
Kanger EVOD Blister Kit | PVS & Mods | VaporBeast

Your biggest challenge will likely be flavor and strength of liquid. Go the samples route until you find something you like. If you were a long time smoker, start with at least 24mg liquid. However, keep some 0mg or straight VG around so you can adjust the strength. Keep in mind that your tastes will likely change several times as your senses of smell and taste return. Your need for nicotine might change over time as well.

Last edited:

2GLR

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 1, 2012
Cedar Rapids
My best advice is find the strongest eliquid you can find, 24-36 mg. Buy a cheap tank, and cheap mod from a local shop. Vape until you feel slightly nauseated, and then immediately go outside and smoke a cigarette. Everytime you have the urge to smoke vape until you feel slightly nauseated, and try to smoke a cigarette. That worked 7 years ago for me. Vaping ever since.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
You've gotten a ton of really sound advice. I think one of the biggest problems in getting vaping to really help you stop smoking is having enough nicotine to suppress the cravings. My first real e juice was 24 mg in an eGo pen. The pen was ditched and some real tanks and a mod were bought, but I still used that 24 mg for at least 6 months before I dropped it down.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Hi all,
I am new here. And A heavy smoker. Now want to try E cigarette product. If there who can advise me How should I choice product? What point I need to care?
Thanks all.
Welcome and glad you joined.
Might want to start out with non sup ohm coils 1.5-2.0 ohms. and follow chart:
06 mg = 10 cigarettes or less
12 mg = 20 cigarettes
18 mg = 30 cigarettes
24 mg = 40 cigarettes
Non sub ohm'g.
Might like to read the following compilations:
dannyv45's blog | E-Cigarette Forum
diy_beginners_guide - DIY_eJuice
http://www.thevaperstable.com/diy/
DIY E-Juice Resources: Over 100+ DIY E-Juice Resources – E Juice Makers
Getting Started: DIY 101 – Mixing Your Own eLiquid
http://diyordievaping.com/category/latestnews/beginnertips/
A Beginner's Guide To Making The Most Highly-Rated Recipes by Scottes777 • r/electronic_cigarette
What you need to know as as far as supplies and safety for the first time juicer. | E-Cigarette Forum

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
Welcome, Buddy!

You say you want to try an E-Cig, but you don't tell us if you are committed to quitting the smokes with vaping. That can make a difference in what is suggested. If you are wanting to quit smoking.........

Get two complete set-ups for your gear, batteries and tanks. That way you should have a charged battery to use while the other charges. Two tanks let you have two different flavors or nic strengths at the ready if needed or wanted. Best of both worlds would be two flavors you like, but get two small bottles of each flavor in different nic strengths like 24mg and 12mg. That will give you some flexibility to adjust the nic strength to zero in on what works best for you. That should give you a good start at seeing if vaping has a good chance of getting you off the smokes.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Heavy Duty smoker here... I'd agree on higher nic strength and a smaller device (or two, if you want to quit at once, you don't want to be caught w/o e-cig. For me, cutting back (semi-voluntarily, I was on pneumonia #3) and getting lower prior to quitting helped me a lot on what I thought would be day one no cigs (it wasn't, but I got pretty close). I'm hoping today is it. I'm finding each day easier and smoking less, not more, so don't freak if you have a cigarette or twenty, just keep trying to bring that number down.... Different things work for different ppl. I find that first cig to avoid easier and easier, for me, end of the day is hard. Also, read on ALL the forums, there's so many options and things you can do (if you want) to make vaping work for you. Good luck! Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread