Hello! Can you help me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

finneusanglesmith

Aug 7, 2017
Newbie here! With loads of confusion... sorry for writing a book lol.

I'm about to go buy a new vape this friday. Help me pick something?

trying to quit smoking ciggs. A few years ago i bought one of the first e-ciggs that came out.
It was really small, under powered, and pretty much useless. Went right back to cigarettes.

Decided now with all these 'mod' thingys, I should try again. SO two weeks ago i went to headed west and got a kangertech EMOW. The airflow is pretty bad, almost exactly like that stupid ciggalike that i had. three days in, the battery and charger both crap out.

Whatever, thing was 20 bucks. I bought a new battery, and pulled my old hash pen charger out. Now it works. I haven't had more than one or two ciggerettes per day in the last two weeks. Awesome! This time around it's actually helping!

Buuuuuutttt.... I'm not very happy with it. I took a hit off a friends vape and got a serious amount of vape right to the lung right away... I think that's what i want. are there options that work for both MTL and DTL users, as the airflow on this thing is soooo pitiful I cant be sure.

Budget: maybe 200 - 250?? (less preferable) but., I don't really care what it costs if it helps me quit smoking. If that is on the high end, i would love to get two tanks for easy flavor switching.

Size: I'm really liking the size of this thing, easily slips into my pocket, and i dont notice it in there. the battery i got is an "EVOD twist 1100 mah" but i wouldnt mind going a bit bigger.

I've heard of "pass through" batteries. this means i can use it while im charging correct? If so, i definitely want that. just in case i wind up with all my batteries dead all at once.

Prefer wall chargers.. every USB charger for anything i've ever owned never worked right, or broke quickly.

The shop i stopped at had a lot of 'smok' products. Is this a reliable brand? Over All other features, i want a RELIABLE unit. i didn't really take note of their other products. I was too busy playing the classic frogger cabinet they had haha

I want a rebuildable unit. tinkering with gadgets like this is just what i like.
(im big into RC cars, Robotics, and Model trains) Messing with tiny parts is no issue.

I would prefer not to be limited to certain kinds of juices, (Assuming that is an option, i have no idea) as I'm new and still learning. ( i picked out "Cola Gummy" & "orange glazed sticky bun")
I'll probably tend to lean towards sweet tasting candy-like flavors.

I assume the consistency of the liquid is somewhat important? or is it?
again, sorry for writing a book... there are SOOO MANY confusing things to consider here.

Please let me know if i left anything out.

Thanks!

listopencil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2017
In Partibus Infidelium
Sounds like you are sort of all over the place and not sure what your vaping style is going to be. You do seem to have settled on an internal battery name brand mod. So, I'd recommend that buy an Innokin MVP4 , an original Uwell Crown tank, and 1 box of each type of atomizer for that tank. Then play with that set up until you find what you like. That should be about $100 and it should keep you busy for a while.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Newbie here! With loads of confusion... sorry for writing a book lol.

I'm about to go buy a new vape this friday. Help me pick something?

trying to quit smoking ciggs. A few years ago i bought one of the first e-ciggs that came out.
It was really small, under powered, and pretty much useless. Went right back to cigarettes.

Decided now with all these 'mod' thingys, I should try again. SO two weeks ago i went to headed west and got a kangertech EMOW. The airflow is pretty bad, almost exactly like that stupid ciggalike that i had. three days in, the battery and charger both crap out.

Whatever, thing was 20 bucks. I bought a new battery, and pulled my old hash pen charger out. Now it works. I haven't had more than one or two ciggerettes per day in the last two weeks. Awesome! This time around it's actually helping!

Buuuuuutttt.... I'm not very happy with it. I took a hit off a friends vape and got a serious amount of vape right to the lung right away... I think that's what i want. are there options that work for both MTL and DTL users, as the airflow on this thing is soooo pitiful I cant be sure.

Budget: maybe 200 - 250?? (less preferable) but., I don't really care what it costs if it helps me quit smoking. If that is on the high end, i would love to get two tanks for easy flavor switching.

Size: I'm really liking the size of this thing, easily slips into my pocket, and i dont notice it in there. the battery i got is an "EVOD twist 1100 mah" but i wouldnt mind going a bit bigger.

I've heard of "pass through" batteries. this means i can use it while im charging correct? If so, i definitely want that. just in case i wind up with all my batteries dead all at once.

Prefer wall chargers.. every USB charger for anything i've ever owned never worked right, or broke quickly.

The shop i stopped at had a lot of 'SMOK' products. Is this a reliable brand? Over All other features, i want a RELIABLE unit. i didn't really take note of their other products. I was too busy playing the classic frogger cabinet they had haha

I want a rebuildable unit. tinkering with gadgets like this is just what i like.
(im big into RC cars, Robotics, and Model trains) Messing with tiny parts is no issue.

I would prefer not to be limited to certain kinds of juices, (Assuming that is an option, i have no idea) as I'm new and still learning. ( i picked out "Cola Gummy" & "orange glazed sticky bun")
I'll probably tend to lean towards sweet tasting candy-like flavors.

I assume the consistency of the liquid is somewhat important? or is it?
again, sorry for writing a book... there are SOOO MANY confusing things to consider here.

Please let me know if i left anything out.

Thanks!
Hi,
Did you ask your friend what he was using? Why not buy the same?
How many cigarettes are you smoking per day?
Where on the planet are you located?

Cheers
I

Reactions: Letitia

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Welcome :)
$100 will do it easy unless you get suckered by a brand e-cig co.
Buy from an independent shop that sells all the original Chinese hardware.
I don't buy Smok. That's all you can buy in some bricks and mortar shops these days. Suspicious? Who knows. Hard to believe how they generate profit (shops) from what is essentially a value brand. Smok must be making this stuff for cents.
I use Joyetech, Eleaf, Aspire, Sigelei and Smoant mods.
Tanks include Joyetech, Eleaf and Aspire.
My rebuilable stuff is harder to explain.

Gratch

Jul 9, 2017
Hi and wlecome :) A few things i have thought of. First work out your vape style if its to quit smoking then prob mouth to lung. Just get a good starter kit like the innokin t 18 or 22. You can then get something else in the future when you have got used to vaping. Try not to think of it as quitting smoking and just think of it as starting vaping. Dont worry if you have the stinky now and again. As someone here said its the cigs that you dont smoke thats more important. Just get used to vaping and i am sure the stopping smoking will just happen naturally, It did for me :) Good luck!

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I too think it's kind of hard to point you in any particular direction right now, and I'm not sure what exactly to recommend. Most LIKELY your friend's setup was DL if it was a smok product, but they aren't the best for reliability. Many people doing DL like two battery, removable and rechargeable batteries however, due to the fact that more wattage/juice burning/lower resistance coil will eat through battery life more quickly. If you've only really vaped MTL however, this may all get confusing/difficult quickly.

If I had gone to a vape shop to look at products, I would have been paying more attention to the vendor and looking at all available products, not just accepting the one that looked "cool" and playing frogger, though. I'm just saying.

I think Brother Bob is going to be a long to rescue you, though, so take heart. I guarantee he will have some relevant threads/articles for you to read and absorb to get you up to speed quickly about various options and how they work. Read them, don't play bejeweled on your computer instead... I hope you realize I am kidding!! :) He did that for me and it was supremely helpful.

It's just that if I recommend or say much, I'm completely uncertain you will wind up with what you actually desire, since I think you've mostly used older equipment (which is totally fine) but if you want to start out with midrange-higher end DL devices, you probably need a bit more of a sense of what YOU want/need rather than a random recommendation or two without giving yourself the Basics and Foundations of Vaping as it is Today, kind of thing.

Best of luck and welcome back to vaping! :)

Anna

Reactions: KC0YNU

Goose Girl

Aug 12, 2017
Florida
You did write a book! It is fantastic that you are down to just a few cigarettes a day. Simple one first, the type of e-liquid does make a difference. On the bottles you will see 2 numbers, VG and PG. If you want more "clouds" you need to look for a juice with higher VG number. Most manufacturers make a 70VG/30PG product that works well. Most folks who are quitting smoking lean toward juices that have a higher PG as it carries more flavor, and has more of a throat feel like a cigarette.

You definitely don't need to spend the big bucks to get something that will work to help you stop smoking. In fact, I would encourage you not to at this point, and even though you like to tinker, hold off on the rebuildable until you can do some research, and learn how to do it properly. Most of us upgrade, as you are doing, as we figure out what will be meet our needs, and they will change the longer you vape.

If you can find out what type of tank your friend has, it will really help us make recommendations. Since you do not want a USB charger, you need to look for something that will require a battery, and get a separate battery charger. You need to find something that has airflow control on the tank. Many of the box mods with a separate tank are not very pocket friendly, even though it is easier to change the flavor of e-liquid. I ended up buying several cheap tube-style integrated battery (USB charge) that I can throw in my purse for flavor changes on the go.

There are many options other than SMOK that might meet your needs. So get online and start looking at the options. It will take some experimentation to find your perfect set-up.

Last edited:

spindrift61

ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2017
I wrote a huge reply to post and just erased it all. Had too much info on variable box mods and what I thought would be a good fit for a tank. Thought to myself and said I should suggest that he just go out and buy the new smok v22 pen for $28 at any vape shop. Yes it is usb charging but so what. For $30 you will be able to take a MTL hit or a DL. It will blow plenty of cloud on a DL or slightly less on MTL but atleast it is able to go MTL. It is inexpensive and be a good fit for little money. I can endorse it because I purchased one a few days ago for my wife. Does she like it? Well no. But I believe you will. For my wife this is her very first EVER time vaping and just a bit too much for her. If she does not get used to hit because she only wants to MTL (she still smokes analogs) then I will use as I like it. At the very least for under $30 you will know if you prefer MTL or DL and like lots of air flow and if you would like to vape sub ohm. It has a .30ohm coil so it is sub ohm. I personally am 6 months smoke free vaping an 80 watt variable box mod and making my own coils for a dripper. Just my opinion.

Reactions: stols001

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
Just throwing in my :2c::

First, please do not rule out a brand based on a few posts here! At one time or another, most have taken "their turn in the barrel." SMOK happens to be taking their turn at this time. If/when you narrow it down to a specific model, let us know as some may have specific problems for certain uses and the same company may have come out with a better mod or tank correcting specific problems. We all have what we like and therefore proclaim it the best.

So, to help narrow the field for you......

Your budget is sufficient to cover two complete set-ups. I would suggest getting one you think is for you and use what you have now for your back-up while you test drive it. If you really like it, get a second of the same or try something that is similar. Find what works NOW and explore later, with other gear and building coils.

Since you are into RC cars, you should have some battery knowledge. With your interest in pass through and battery life, I'll go against the flow and suggest an external battery mod. Depending on your own situation, you have the option of (for the most common 18650 batteries) single, dual, triple, and quad battery mods. For most, all but the single should get you through a day of vaping (again depending on your vape style) even up to 2 days on the quad and sub-ohming. And it is easy enough to carry extra batteries (in protective case) if you may run short and/or don't want to be tethered. If you go this route, be sure to check out the battery sub-forum here.

For tanks, there are just too many options and choices. But based on your post, a subΩ tank sounds like it is more to your liking. You can always start there and turn down the airflow for a more restricted draw. I also like to change up flavors, so am guessing you will end up with more then two eventually as you find more flavors you like and want. Start with whatever fits now and keep track of what you want to look for in your next purchase.

Now that I have added my own book :D, find the mod you want and see if it also comes as a kit (with a tank). That should give you a good start.

Good luck!

spindrift61

ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2017
Um...ya, that's the book that I erased. I don't disagree with you wrote OlderNDirt. At the very end I believe what the poster will eventually be vaping (if he can continue to fight the urge to stay off the analogs) is a dual 1860 variable box mod 150-200watt with probably RDA/RDTA and be spending in the $200-300 range.

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
Just throwing in my :2c::

First, please do not rule out a brand based on a few posts here! At one time or another, most have taken "their turn in the barrel." SMOK happens to be taking their turn at this time. If/when you narrow it down to a specific model, let us know as some may have specific problems for certain uses and the same company may have come out with a better mod or tank correcting specific problems. We all have what we like and therefore proclaim it the best.

This cannot be more true. I keep hearing bad rep for smok product,i for one try to remain neutral on that side since i only have 1 product atm (big baby beast tank) and have been quite satisfied with it. Most people saying their product sucks have had bad experiences most of the time (which is understandable) but most companies these days make good products and it's mostly dependant on what you prefer the most/looks of it. I am hesitating on buying new coils for my big baby but it has nothing to do with smok even though i've heard their Quality control is meh. I just so happen to prefer my Fat Scylla for many things, but my next mod will possibly be from smok.

TLDR:Just buy what you like and don't go by what others think of said company.

Gramdogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Fredericton NB Canada
Yeah SMOK ain't bad for the price. $60 mods that come with $35 tanks you really can't expect much. Like $70 DNA 75s, the chip is $50-$60 alone so the mod must cost .20c to make. Anything that sells 1000x more product will get 1000x more complaints. The Picos and Kboxs and evics had the same issue even though many people love them many people (myself included) will never buy a certain brand again because of their experience with them. Personally I won't buy eleaf, wismec or joyetech just because I have a couple older long pin attys that won't sit flush on their 510s.

Last edited:

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
One thing I don't think anybody really knows is what percentage of SMOK products actually have a defect. Do they sell so many more that it appears all are having problems and are many of the perceived problems actually user error or faulty attachments or batteries? I sure don't know.

Um...ya, that's the book that I erased. I don't disagree with you wrote OlderNDirt. At the very end I believe what the poster will eventually be vaping (if he can continue to fight the urge to stay off the analogs) is a dual 1860 variable box mod 150-200watt with probably RDA/RDTA and be spending in the $200-300 range.

Some do that while others, like myself go nowhere near that wattage, but really like the battery life.

Mike McVape

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Unless using a very few select high current batteries (at the expense of low battery run time) no dual 18650 mod is safe running 200w regardless they are rated to 220w. Which is why I love the GX2/4, run in 2 battery or 4 battery configurations.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
That is a good point. I tend to point new users away from Smok honestly, just because I've seen complaints about them, and I know I would hate to have a defective product right out of the gate, and most of the complaints are recent, and I really wonder if they rushed some things releasing some new stuff prior to ex-deeming date? Also, they ARE a popular mod especially for sub-ohmers so they may have higher market share. I mean, some people (MikeMcvape, I'm talking to you) love the Smokalien so much, they buy five of them....

I have personally purchased KT products and wouldn't recommend them, personally. For me, I never got a KT product that felt like a quality build, they felt flimsy but also badly put together. My aspire zelos kit is super lightweight, but not flimsy. There's something about the way Kangertech puts things together that seems to reflect poor build quality, and I've seen some recent products, my son had a KT box where paint was flaking and the battery door fell off repeatedly and consistently. I'm a fairly clumsy person and KT gear just doesn't stand up to my needs. It's kind of like shoes. I use Dansko clogs at work because I'm on my feet a lot and I need a more expensive pair of shoes for pulling that off, day to day (ask any nurse) whereas other people may do fine with a cheap, knockoff product. There are people who love KT and maybe their later stuff is better, but I've consistently hated it.

All that being said, just buy something. Try not to make it too confusing at first and work on getting a stable vape. Then you can buy MORE cool things and have backup mods, different tanks you use at different times of day, whatever. :) Or, you may find yourself completely satisfied and feeling good about your vape and you don't have to have the "latest and greatest." Start small and work up. Etc.

Anna

Reactions: RainSong
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread