hello from india

Status
Not open for further replies.

mirza zubair

Jan 25, 2017
i built a mod with 4.2 volts , 0.6ohms with a nichrome wire 20 guage and wattage around 35 to 40 however through watching youtube videos ... when i fire without any cotton it burns red as hell with a small time taken to burn but when i fire it with my cotton soaked in juice it take more time to get red hot and the juice chokes my throat please help.

Reactions: ayushirai

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
i built a mod with 4.2 volts , 0.6ohms with a nichrome wire 20 guage and wattage around 35 to 40 however through watching youtube videos ... when i fire without any cotton it burns red as hell with a small time taken to burn but when i fire it with my cotton soaked in juice it take more time to get red hot and the juice chokes my throat please help.
You don't want the coil to get red hot with your wick in it you've likely burned the cotton if it does. Try lower power with a good wick fully saturated in juice and see if that helps if that's a regulated mod.

Reactions: HemiHonda

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I would say it could be a few things, one the coil could have a short, when you do fire the coil without cotton, does it light up evenly? Or do you see a certain part of the coil hotter then other parts? If it lights up evenly and consistent it's probably ok. If it's not a short, it can be that your not wicking it properly, if wicked properly it shouldn't really glow when vaping. The cotton shouldn't be to tight thru coil, nor to loose. Also your airflow might not be positioned correctly. If you have a dripper, your airflow holes should be turned to line up in front of coil. Or it just could be that your e juice has more nic then you can handle in that particular set up. Or lastly you are vaping at a wattage that is to hot for you with that particular set up. One last thing could be a juice that has a high pg content

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

ayushirai

Feb 7, 2017
Saket, New Delhi
I am not a pro but do try it with less power. Otherwise the cotton is gonna burn out really quickly and make sure you wet the coil completely and not just some of the parts.

Steamix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Vapistan
Red hot is fine for a dry burn, but with wicking material in you DON'T want it to run anywhere near the temperatures required for red hot.
Cuz' then you are actually burning your liquid - with all the undesired byproducts - instead of vaporizing it.
Ohms, watts, coil design - that's one part of the vape.
Needs also wicking and a liquid that flows fast enough to make it just right :)

Reactions: ayushirai

Smoke_too_much

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2016
Hi Mirza & welcome
What the other responders have said is right on. I'll just try and clarify it a bit for you.

When we've built a coil and installed but not yet wicked it many will dry burn it by firing the mod until the coil burns a bright red. This is to check and see if the coil is heating correctly as it should turn red from the middle of it towards the outer edges. This is especially true where it is a tight coil and the wire coils are touching each other as they often have to be poked, prodded, and strummed to get them to heat correctly.

Once wicked you would never dry burn the coil as it would quickly scorch the wick. When the wick is wet with juice and is being hit with airflow because you are drawing a breath through it the coil will not ever heat to a red hot glow as that would be way too hot and would burn both the juice and the wick and would taste terrible as you have found out.

To get the right power setting and once you have properly primed the wicking you start with a power setting that is purposely too low and then work up from there. Low power will give little vapor or taste. Higher power will begin to deliver both. Too high and the clouds will be dry and hot and there will be little taste again. You are looking for the sweet spot between these two extremes that provides you your best clouds and taste.

Reactions: vapdivrr
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread