Hello, I need help with bvc 1.8 coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

VissyC

Mar 22, 2017
Hello everyone I'm new to the forum and new to vaping with this tank and mod,

I'm using an mvp 3 and a nautilus mini with 1.8 ohms coils, making sure to prime them before use. I'm using 50/50 juice

I got the nautilus mini on Saturday (4 days ago) and I've already burnt through 4 coils.

When I put a fresh coil in my mod reads it as 2.0 ohms but slowly goes up to 2.2 ohm. I'm starting off at the lowest wattage, 6, and 3.7 volts and slowly moving up but I get to 8 watts/4 volts and get a burnt taste. I've heard people saying they vape on this tank at 12/13 watts and that seems impossible to me.

What am I doing wrong? :(

Thanks in advance

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
Welcome @VissyC and I hope you enjoy your stay!

I have 3 Nautilus Mini tanks which I normally run under the 12 watt Maximum. I now use the 1.6Ω instead of the 1.8Ω but have never seen a new coil read that high of resistance. First question is have you checked the scratch off code for authenticity? A friend had the same problem and when he checked the coils were fakes.

VissyC

Mar 22, 2017
Welcome @VissyC and I hope you enjoy your stay!

I have 3 Nautilus Mini tanks which I normally run under the 12 watt Maximum. I now use the 1.6Ω instead of the 1.8Ω but have never seen a new coil read that high of resistance. First question is have you checked the scratch off code for authenticity? A friend had the same problem and when he checked the coils were fakes.

No, checking now

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
OK, so that rules out one possibility. Are you priming the coils before using them? I put a few drops inside the coil slowly so it soaks into the cotton and when I assemble the tank I tank a few no power pulls to really get the liquid flowing. If you over saturate and flood the coil just blow it out then starting at a lower wattage like 9 watts slowly increase to my sweet spot. Hope this helps.

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
The minor difference in the Ohms is not really the problem as minor differences are normal and as the coil ages the resistance will increase from wear. It is the burning or cooking the coils. She has not responded if she is priming them so I am thinking that might be the issue.

SnapDragon NY

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2017
Hi and Welcome- sorry that you are having problems, sounds like you are doing everything right, but burning through a coil a day is not right! Are you sure you are installing the coil correctly, priming the coil correctly? Try unscrewing and rescrewing it back in, make sure there is no juice where it seats, make sure your 510 connection is clean and juice free, wipe out with paper towels and a qtip! Like Steve said, try taking some pulls without any power, and slowly ramp up the watts! Just because you hear others going higher in the watts doesn't mean that you HAVE to vape at that wattage! When you start to get that off taste back down the watts, use what tastes good to you!
I like to change my coils at nite so my coil can soak all nite!
Stay strong and try different coil resistance, might help. Maybe try the 1.6Ω and see if that helps.

VissyC

Mar 22, 2017
OK, so that rules out one possibility. Are you priming the coils before using them? I put a few drops inside the coil slowly so it soaks into the cotton and when I assemble the tank I tank a few no power pulls to really get the liquid flowing. If you over saturate and flood the coil just blow it out then starting at a lower wattage like 9 watts slowly increase to my sweet spot. Hope this helps.
Yes I'm priming them, I put that in my original post. :) 4 drops in the top and around the 4 holes in the sides and letting that sit for 10 minutes, then screwing it in to the full tank and sitting for another 5 minutes.

VissyC

Mar 22, 2017
Hi and Welcome- sorry that you are having problems, sounds like you are doing everything right, but burning through a coil a day is not right! Are you sure you are installing the coil correctly, priming the coil correctly? Try unscrewing and rescrewing it back in, make sure there is no juice where it seats, make sure your 510 connection is clean and juice free, wipe out with paper towels and a qtip! Like Steve said, try taking some pulls without any power, and slowly ramp up the watts! Just because you hear others going higher in the watts doesn't mean that you HAVE to vape at that wattage! When you start to get that off taste back down the watts, use what tastes good to you!
I like to change my coils at nite so my coil can soak all nite!
Stay strong and try different coil resistance, might help. Maybe try the 1.6Ω and see if that helps.
Thanks, I'm definitely priming the coils correctly. I'll try the 1.6 ohm coils. :)

Reactions: SnapDragon NY

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2015
The minor difference in the Ohms is not really the problem as minor differences are normal and as the coil ages the resistance will increase from wear. It is the burning or cooking the coils. She has not responded if she is priming them so I am thinking that might be the issue.
I just didn't want her to think something was wrong with her mod.

Reactions: SnapDragon NY

SnapDragon NY

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2017
Thanks, I'm definitely priming the coils correctly. I'll try the 1.6 ohm coils. :)
Keep trying- that is a very good tank and mod for a newbie- many people have quit cigarettes with that exact setup!
There are many You Tube videos on that tank, maybe watching some might help! I am on my own with vaping, no one I know vapes, I watch You Tube videos and join forums like these for help-
I started with Mistic Bridge Kits from Walgreens, some haus eliquid and cartridges! I bought those instead of packs of cigarettes and 2 years later and many mods and tanks, coils and eliquids I still remain cigarette free!
My worst starter set was the Kanger Evod2, leaked and never worked right! Then moved to the Joyetech eCabs- those were wonderful and used them for many months with no problems! JoyeTech eCab Starter Kit
Now I have the asModus Minikin V.15 dual battery ( I have 2)and have been building and wicking my OBS Engine tanks, with many mods and tanks that are just wonderful all through watching what forum members were liking!

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Could be the mod.... I had a similar issue with the connection. I think sometimes when a mods 510 pin gets pushed inwards to far it produces a short which kind of sends a power surge or something, burning the coil. All I know is that when I put this same tank onto another mod it didn't happen and when I put another tank with a shorter pin onto that mod it didn't happen. So if there are no adjustments on the mods pin, then there is not much you can do but if you have another mod you can try that, this way you can rule out if it is the mod

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bonskibon

VissyC

Mar 22, 2017
Could be the mod.... I had a similar issue with the connection. I think sometimes when a mods 510 pin gets pushed inwards to far it produces a short which kind of sends a power surge or something, burning the coil. All I know is that when I put this same tank onto another mod it didn't happen and when I put another tank with a shorter pin onto that mod it didn't happen. So if there are no adjustments on the mods pin, then there is not much you can do but if you have another mod you can try that, this way you can rule out if it is the mod

Thanks. Unfortunately I don't have another mod.

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
As coils get contaminated the Ohms or resistance increases because of heating the wire and gunk build up which is normal. I am vaping a Nautilus X coil which was a 1.5Ω when first installed which is up to 1.87Ω at the moment. Although coils are rated to be able to take more wattage most of mine are vaped at lower and some lower than the minimum wattage rating.

VissyC

Mar 22, 2017
As coils get contaminated the Ohms or resistance increases because of heating the wire and gunk build up which is normal. I am vaping a Nautilus X coil which was a 1.5Ω when first installed which is up to 1.87Ω at the moment. Although coils are rated to be able to take more wattage most of mine are vaped at lower and some lower than the minimum wattage rating.
How long have you been using that coil for?

Reactions: SteveS45

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
How long have you been using that coil for?

Well that is a good question which I can't answer with any real accuracy because it has been months. It is my morning tank because of the Bakery flavors so not an ADV. But is has had many ML's pumped through it that is for sure and I get unreal life out of my coils because of how I treat then. I have smoked a Mini BVC in less than a day because I let the tank get too low but normally I get weeks out of my coils even using High or MAX VG e-Liquids.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I use the Nautilus 1.8 with I stick 40. My ohms creep up and are now @ 2.6. Chain vaping @ 8 Watts and above burns my coils. Don't see how these are reported to vape above that, but it's popular. I use 50vg unflavored and get a month out of them @ 7 . 5 Watts.
My wife vapes the nautilus at 15 watts and her coils last for 2 weeks with 70vg juices. It's more to do with how you vape it , she only takes a 2 second pulls and doesn't chain vape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread