Hello I'm new and a bit lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenric

Sep 28, 2014
Massachusetts
Hello all,

I'm interesting in getting started with vaping and hopefully use it as a means to stop smoking tobacco. I've been reading and watching videos and it's a bit confusing and not quite sinking in yet, so I thought I would post here and ask for some guidance.

Here's where I stand with smoking: I have smoked tobacco off and on, but mostly on, since I was maybe 16. I'm 32 now. For the majority of that time I smoked 'light' cigarettes of various brands. A few years ago I moved from living in Texas to Massachusetts where the tax on tobacco products is a lot higher. I was ordering loose tobacco online and rolling my own cigarettes instead, but over the last couple years legislation has passed that has basically shut down online sales of tobacco products entirely. I did find a company that bypassed this by selling whole leaves of dried tobacco which apparently makes it considered an agricultural product. But I had to order quite a lot of it, and I don't have a good way to store it for extended periods, and mold becomes an issue. Anyways I'm looking for something with less hassle.

So I guess I'm looking for help picking what to buy to get started. I'm not looking for an easy starter kit though. I really want to switch and am willing to invest a bit to get good quality stuff that will last.

From what I've learned so far it seems like a variable voltage battery is a good idea as you can control how strong/hot the vapor will be. I saw the Innokin MVP recommended a few times and it sounds great. From what I understand the battery should hold up for a couple years and you can use it while it is charging?

Other than the battery I'm not sure what to get. All the terms haven't sunk in yet, but I know I'll need some type of atomizer that attaches to the battery, either with a tank for the liquid or one of the ones you drip the liquid into. I got the impression the drip versions can produce a better flavor but I am not sure this is worth it to me for the extra work of filling it all the time. I could use some help here. I read a bit about voltage ratings and resistance but it's not a topic I've studied. I don't want to mismatch a battery and end up ruining something.

For the liquid, I'd be interested in making my own. However I will wait until I know more about it. For now I imagine I will want the standard or high nicotine level versions as I've been rolling my own unfiltered cigarettes for some time.

If you read all of this and can help me with some suggestions and an online retailer I would appreciate it!

Last edited:

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
Hi and welcome to the forum! Congratulations on wanting to get tobacco out of your life and you've come to the right place. Since you've been browsing, you can probably already tell that the forum has answers to questions you haven't even thought to ask.

An MVP is a solid mid-level device. You won't be frustrated with the length of the battery charge and it has the power should you choose to get your feet wet with more advance gear in the future. In the future. Unless you are already drooling at the thought of wrapping wire into coils smaller than a grain of rice, I suggest you skip it for now. Despite how it often sounds on here, one doesn't need to build anything to quit smoking. I quit smoking with a plain fixed voltage eGo and some cheap tanks.

Yes, I'm opinionated (that's why there are two "O"s in Ocelot), but there has been a trend here lately of pushing new vapers to start building right off the bat which does them a disservice. It can make things even more confusing. Theoretically, you will save more money rebuilding your own coils; however, once you start building a whole new phase of Shiny-itis kicks in and there are new RBAs hitting the market every week. I cringed when I bought a $30.00 drip tip to celebrate 30 days tobacco free, now I can drop $130.00 on an RBA without batting an eye (I am madly in love with it though).

Bottom line: get a good battery device, but budget more for attachments and juice. Just to get this out of the way: ***There is no juice that tastes like a cigarette*** Vendors have yet to capture the je ne sais quoi of combustion with a tar finish. Try small amounts first 1) Your taste buds will be healing for awhile and you might find you don't like most juices; 2) Just because something sounds good or you like to eat it doesn't mean you will like to vape it. Trust me.

This is the best price around for an MVP: Innokin iTaste MVP V2.0 - 101 Vape

It appears to come with a tank, I can't tell what kind though (I don't have my glasses on).Anyway, you'll want to get at least one more that's different to experiment with, since it's the topper and the juice that are the main factors of your vape. The battery device is just a power source.

If you are still here and not busy, Google "Nova Broadcasting" a vape show is just starting and they give away free stuff. The show is called Mod Envy. If you can't find Nova, just Google the shows title. They also have vendor coupons and talk about new products hitting the market.

Last edited:

Fenric

Sep 28, 2014
Massachusetts
Thanks for the quick replies.

What does rebuilding your own coils mean? Coils are the heating element that boils the liquid and produces the vapor I think? So that would be part of the Iclear 30 that comes with the MVP?

That reminds me, how long will the coils last, or how often should I expect to be replacing parts, besides the battery.

athousandyears

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Texas
Yes, the coil is the heating element that vaporizes the liquid. The Iclear does not come with spare coils so you might want to order extra if you are going that route. Pretty much any setup you choose, I would get spare coils. Some people, after using manufactured coils, progress into making their own for various reasons including cost and performance. I would say it is for more advanced users. Coil replacement is going to depend on a lot of factors. Heavy vaping and use of dark or overly sweet liquids will shorten the life of a coil. There are ways to clean your coils and get more life out of them. Sometimes just a rinse under warm water will do the trick or you might want to soak them in pure grain alcohol (vodka works well, too) and dry burn them. Check Youtube for how that works.

Criticool Hit

Verified Member
Sep 26, 2014
CT
I agree... forcing new vapers to get into high end mods and tops and start building right away does far more harm than good...

Start where most everyone starts.

MVP2.0 and a Kangertech Aerotank V2 and a box of coils and a few juice samples from mtbakervapor

All told will cost you less than 100 bucks and get you well on your way to learning.

You can read and read and read till your eyes bleed, but until you just get a mod and a tank and some juice you can't know what you like. And more importantly no one else can tell you what you like. Taste, density, temperature... It's all subjective and we all have our own preferences. But as far as a starting point goes? You really can't go wrong with the MVP2.0 and an AerotankV2. (don't get the pro tank it's quite prone to leaking) Another heads up. The tank that comes with the MVP2.0 is awful. Its truly one of the worst i have seen. And its a plastic variant which certain juices can cause to melt and crack. The aerotank is better by leaps and bounds and is a full pyrex tank.

Easy links at good prices.

MVP2.0 - Innokin iTaste MVP V2.0 Variable Voltage/Watt Starter Kit with 2x iClear 16 Tank - Titanium Blue - Rakuten.com Shopping

AerotankV2 - Kanger Aerotank v2

Extra Coils - Atomizer Head for Aerotank Mini, Aerotank Mega

Good juice at a good price - E Cigarette | Buy Electronic Cigarettes Online | E Juice - Mt Baker Vapor

Happy Vaping

- Crit

Last edited:

Shaneguide

Ain't Life Grand
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2014
Saco Maine
As someone that is new to this whole thing as well, I can say that the folks here are great and will not steer you in a wrong direction.

Good luck with whatever device you opt for. I personally have the innokin svd. Why did I get this particular model? A coworker has one and let me try it. I liked the look the feel the heft...I do need to get a few more tanks and I am also interested (if the svd will allow it) in dripping...still doing more research on that though. The kit I purchased came with the device and 2 iclear30 tanks. I also purchased a pair of batteries a charger and 2 bottles of e-liquid. The total cost was about $145...I am pleased with the unit so far too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fenric

Sep 28, 2014
Massachusetts
I agree... forcing new vapers to get into high end mods and tops and start building right away does far more harm than good...

Start where most everyone starts.

MVP2.0 and a Kangertech Aerotank V2 and a box of coils and a few juice samples from mtbakervapor

All told will cost you less than 100 bucks and get you well on your way to learning.

You can read and read and read till your eyes bleed, but until you just get a mod and a tank and some juice you can't know what you like. And more importantly no one else can tell you what you like. Taste, density, temperature... It's all subjective and we all have our own preferences. But as far as a starting point goes? You really can't go wrong with the MVP2.0 and an AerotankV2. (don't get the pro tank it's quite prone to leaking) Another heads up. The tank that comes with the MVP2.0 is awful. Its truly one of the worst i have seen. And its a plastic variant which certain juices can cause to melt and crack. The aerotank is better by leaps and bounds and is a full pyrex tank.

Easy links at good prices.

edited out because I can't post links even as a quote

- Crit

Thanks for the info and the links. I've just finished ordering this exact setup.

Also I was quite surprised to find a live support agent talking to me at the Mt. Baker Vapor website. He helped me out with picking some flavors and explained about PG/VG mix and what he prefers. Quite unexpected at nearly midnight my time, and on a weekend no less. I'll definitely be going to them for juice in the future.

Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
The 3Oh!3, Colorado
www.youtube.com
I haven't forgotten you, but I'm watching Mod Envy. I haven't won in over a year, but it's a sickness. I'm sure others will chime before I do, but I will be back.

What is this Mod Envy you speak of?

To the OP, this will be the best decision you have ever made! Theres some great advice already being given, so I'll simply stick with: Welcome to ECF!

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Hello all,

I'm interesting in getting started with vaping and hopefully use it as a means to stop smoking tobacco. I've been reading and watching videos and it's a bit confusing and not quite sinking in yet, so I thought I would post here and ask for some guidance.

Here's where I stand with smoking: I have smoked tobacco off and on, but mostly on, since I was maybe 16. I'm 32 now. For the majority of that time I smoked 'light' cigarettes of various brands. A few years ago I moved from living in Texas to Massachusetts where the tax on tobacco products is a lot higher. I was ordering loose tobacco online and rolling my own cigarettes instead, but over the last couple years legislation has passed that has basically shut down online sales of tobacco products entirely. I did find a company that bypassed this by selling whole leaves of dried tobacco which apparently makes it considered an agricultural product. But I had to order quite a lot of it, and I don't have a good way to store it for extended periods, and mold becomes an issue. Anyways I'm looking for something with less hassle.

So I guess I'm looking for help picking what to buy to get started. I'm not looking for an easy starter kit though. I really want to switch and am willing to invest a bit to get good quality stuff that will last.

From what I've learned so far it seems like a variable voltage battery is a good idea as you can control how strong/hot the vapor will be. I saw the Innokin MVP recommended a few times and it sounds great. From what I understand the battery should hold up for a couple years and you can use it while it is charging?

Other than the battery I'm not sure what to get. All the terms haven't sunk in yet, but I know I'll need some type of atomizer that attaches to the battery, either with a tank for the liquid or one of the ones you drip the liquid into. I got the impression the drip versions can produce a better flavor but I am not sure this is worth it to me for the extra work of filling it all the time. I could use some help here. I read a bit about voltage ratings and resistance but it's not a topic I've studied. I don't want to mismatch a battery and end up ruining something.

For the liquid, I'd be interested in making my own. However I will wait until I know more about it. For now I imagine I will want the standard or high nicotine level versions as I've been rolling my own unfiltered cigarettes for some time.

If you read all of this and can help me with some suggestions and an online retailer I would appreciate it!

1: Yep; MVP2 is the place to start for new vapers right now; chances are you can find a complete kit, including a tank or two and you'll be good for a while.

2: If you get an MVP2 by itself and need to order a separate tank, I'd recommend the miniprotank2v2 as the standard workhorse tank; the coils are very common and many people rebuild them; you can rewick them and run them for weeks or months before they need rebuilding.

There's also the miniaerotank to look at; but they come with dual coils. Not as easy to rebuild; but they have airflow control.

I recommend the miniprotank or miniaerotanks for new vapers because they use the eGo thread, and not the 510 thread; you get less electrical center pin problems.

3: If you are interested in RDA's ('drippers') it's well worth it to pick up one and a roll of 30 or 28 gauge kanthal. A dripper is a very simple device. An RDA you will find is much easier to do the rebuild than struggling to rebuild something like a protank or other clearomizer tiny coil.

I've heard that the kayfun RBA can be put together as an RDA or the full RBA but I'm not sure which kayfun or if it's all of them because there are quite a few versions.

Cost wise, it's worthwhile to pick up an rda first so with experience you know what you want to look for in an rba.

If you can pin down the hardware part, the next thing to saving money is DIY on the liquid. Quickstart to DIY is to get yourself glycerin (VG) - USP grade from the pharmacy; if you can also get PG (propylene glycol) that great; them you can buy 24mg strength eliquids, and dilute them to save a bundle.

Last edited:

Criticool Hit

Verified Member
Sep 26, 2014
CT
Thanks for the info and the links. I've just finished ordering this exact setup.

Also I was quite surprised to find a live support agent talking to me at the Mt. Baker Vapor website. He helped me out with picking some flavors and explained about PG/VG mix and what he prefers. Quite unexpected at nearly midnight my time, and on a weekend no less. I'll definitely be going to them for juice in the future.

No problem. You won't be disappointed with the aerotank v2. It has a lot of adjustability and quality for such an entry level price point. Mtbaker is a great site. I get all my juice from them for the past couple years now. I have been using the build a juice option for the last year as i have a few recipes for juices i like. Only occasionally will i buy a specialty juice from elsewhere. And yeah its nice they have 24 hour live support. I have used it more than a few times to correct a mistake on an order and they always fix it for me. Their customer service is top notch. Not to mention they have more juice than you can shake a dozen sticks at.

When you get your MVP2.0 / Aerotank V2. Feel free to PM me with any questions if you need help getting something right. In the mean time i would like to direct you to another thread where a person had a few questions about the MVP 2.0 that myself and others helped to answer. I feel a quick read of this will get you up to speed on the basic function of the MVP2.0 before you even have it.

Happy Vaping

-Crit

EDIT: The link i said i was going to post but never did because i failed hard http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/new-members-forum/607551-mvp2-watts-vs-volts.html

Last edited:

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
1: Yep; MVP2 is the place to start for new vapers right now; chances are you can find a complete kit, including a tank or two and you'll be good for a while.

2: If you get an MVP2 by itself and need to order a separate tank, I'd recommend the miniprotank2v2 as the standard workhorse tank; the coils are very common and many people rebuild them; you can rewick them and run them for weeks or months before they need rebuilding.

There's also the miniaerotank to look at; but they come with dual coils. Not as easy to rebuild; but they have airflow control.

I recommend the miniprotank or miniaerotanks for new vapers because they use the eGo thread, and not the 510 thread; you get less electrical center pin problems.

**At this point vape away and read the forum. You can follow the next steps in your own time**

3: If you are interested in RDA's ('drippers') it's well worth it to pick up one and a roll of 30 or 28 gauge kanthal. A dripper is a very simple device. An RDA you will find is much easier to do the rebuild than struggling to rebuild something like a protank or other clearomizer tiny coil.

I've heard that the kayfun RBA can be put together as an RDA or the full RBA but I'm not sure which kayfun or if it's all of them because there are quite a few versions.

Cost wise, it's worthwhile to pick up an rda first so with experience you know what you want to look for in an rba.

If you can pin down the hardware part, the next thing to saving money is DIY on the liquid. Quickstart to DIY is to get yourself glycerin (VG) - USP grade from the pharmacy; if you can also get PG (propylene glycol) that great; them you can buy 24mg strength eliquids, and dilute them to save a bundle.

Like I said, the "O" in Ocelot stands for Opinionated. Both of them.

jmur

Aggie AND Moon's Acct., on retainer for Beckyblue
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2013
Connecticut
Welcome Fenric! The advice you find here is literally priceless. I came here when I started out and ended up quitting a 45 year, VERY expensive and damaging addiction. Been 18 months and never felt this good since I was a teen. (and I'm an old fart now). Listen to what the folks say, suss out what feels best for you, and enjoy your new smoke free life!

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
You have gotten some fantastic advice so I will just say. . .
RA-YellowroseMouse207-welcome.gif
to ecf Fenric. Glad to have you and happy vaping.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
You may notice that for a second tank we are all recommending tanks made of borosilicate glass (Pyrex), there is a reason for that. Some juices react with plastics and cause tanks to cloud, crack or melt. With a glass tank you don't have to worry about what flavors to put in it.

Last edited:

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    Welcome to ECF.

I tell folks to go around to some local vape shops and compare products. In the meantime get to a 7-11 (NJoy starter kit) or flea market and get a cheap starter kit, not spending over $30-$40 on a 650 eGo battery kit and some small bottles of juice to get your feet wet.

Once you see something your really interested in, go online and see if you can find it for half the price.

Come back to ECF and let us know what you found and where. We'll let you know if it's good or not and where to find the best deal.

Best wishes and happy vaping.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread