Hello industry, we want some MTL vape gear

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Actually, theres plenty of mtl gear, it was first and will always be made.

But
1.many of the lower cost/ Chinese manufacturers will follow the trend and try to produce gear that captures that market.

2. Most new "regular" vape gear is either always an rba, or top shelf, sometimes with no or few clones.

3. Some of the best MTL gear already exists, since it was first it has had the longest amount of time being tweaked and tuned.
Ever used a spheroid? Or a genesis? How about a senio or hellfire dripper?.

The sub ohm clearo fad is going through its expansion and tuning phase now. More flavor, Rev2, rev3, rev4, dual coil, vertical coil, reduced chamber, etc etc.
This is something quality mtl has already been through for the most part, as said, some of the best gear for that style is already upon us.

And you can't flood a part of the market where most users have found what they consider to be their vape already in hopes they will buy that one too for flavor chasing.

Look at users like willy, the kayfun is a great tank, his top choice. How do i get him to hopefully buy my new tank as well. It has to really be appealing.

Also, the kayfun4, while slightly over engineered I think. Is an excellent tank for light to med/heavy vaping. Still has airflow control.
Very good post thank you :)

Reactions: Ryedan

Wolfenstark

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
Perth , Australia
A challenge for you ;)

Take some 70/30 (PG/VG) 18mg/mL eliquid and put it in a sub ohm tank and vape it for a day.

My current DIY liquid is around 60 vg 40 pg, made some 65 vg 35 pg.
nic is 5.3mg.
I use modified drippers on a bottom fed mod.
Could do 18mg in a single build for the day.
5 - 5.3 is good for me , the 18mg would use up my nic a lot faster. :)

Reactions: David Wolf

cincocc

Jul 27, 2015
Illinois, USA
That's been my experience yes. I'm vaping a higher vg juice in my GS MS and its behaving quite well, with 70/30 pg/vg I get some gurgling and ocassionally spitting especially on hot days outside.

So...instead of adjusting the nicotine with 0mg juice...could I use VG? Thicken it up a little bit? Do you think? I'd lose flavor, but I could just hunt down a tobacco flavor that's too strong - like the Midnight Express which was WAY too strong, for my taste. It's a little too sweet, too, but cut with VG it might be alright.

I like the Tribeca straight out of the bottle but if it was less, I wouldn't care. When I say "I like it", what I mean is that it's good enough that I'm not wishing it was a cigarette. And, of course, with a better vaporizer, the viscosity probably won't matter, ANYway, right? And if my sense of taste - which is quite sensitive - is screwed up from smoking for 40 years and the taste of the flavor increases, from NOT smoking, I'll have to cut it down anyway.

Apparently I'm going to be a hardware chaser - as opposed to a flavor or cloud chaser, LOL - and I'm justifying that with the fact that smoking cigarettes would run me about $200 a month. Of course, I roll my own which is only about $25 per month, but I won't tell anybody if you don't.

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
1 ohm min and 7-20w per the literature so you're right! So you have the real deal or a good clone? That thing sure has a lot of parts, is it finicky? I tried a v2 the other day and man did it have good flavor. I really don't want to get into coil building though if I can find good MTL tanks with good coils and no gurgling lol.
I have one authentic and one clone, both vape the same the clone is not as smooth in operation. Neither is finicky.

I'd say the best premade MTL vape is carto tanks IBTanked sells what I consider the best
image.jpg

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
Thank you! I will look those over ...was hoping to avoid rebuilding but that might be what I need to do :)

The Ataman II and Aga t5 are very simple, and nearly the same deck. The Mini Buddha is very easy as well, and even uses post holes though its single coil.

And anyone is welcome to PM me for help :)

For duals, the Epoch D1 is probably the easiest to coil and wick. Its a 4 post design with offset airholes so no.centering of coils needed. No wick channels either to worry about. Just cut the wick and put the tails on the juice holes.

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Well my nautilus would gurgle with 1.8Ω and 4 or so volts. Was just a finicky thing that had to be put together a specific way.
Lemo was fine as was subtank mini with its prebuilt coils 1.2 & 0.5.

kayfun4 and rose tanks seem to read like they are good for mtl , never used them and the originals are pricey.
Your recommendations are probably the way I need to go, maybe a good kayfun clone as both you and Boden suggest for an RTA. At least until a manufacturer innovates and builds a non RTA tank with liquid flow control so we can use any pg/vg ratio we want with stock coils, and quit trying to make the coil can wick holes "one size fits all" Regarding pg-vg ratio. Thanks for your feedback!

Reactions: Wolfenstark

Wolfenstark

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
Perth , Australia
Your recommendations are probably the way I need to go, maybe a good kayfun clone as both you and Boden suggest for an RTA. At least until a manufacturer innovates and builds a non RTA tank with liquid flow control so we can use any pg/vg ratio we want with stock coils, and quit trying to make the coil can wick holes "one size fits all" Regarding pg-vg ratio. Thanks for your feedback!
Well I was fine for the most part with tanks when i used them.
Vg from 70 - 30.
Found it was mostly wick placement that mattered with tanks , rebuildable ones that is.

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Actually, theres plenty of mtl gear, it was first and will always be made.

But
1.many of the lower cost/ Chinese manufacturers will follow the trend and try to produce gear that captures that market.

2. Most new "regular" vape gear is either always an rba, or top shelf, sometimes with no or few clones.

3. Some of the best MTL gear already exists, since it was first it has had the longest amount of time being tweaked and tuned.
Ever used a spheroid? Or a genesis? How about a senio or hellfire dripper?.

The sub ohm clearo fad is going through its expansion and tuning phase now. More flavor, Rev2, rev3, rev4, dual coil, vertical coil, reduced chamber, etc etc.
This is something quality mtl has already been through for the most part, as said, some of the best gear for that style is already upon us.

And you can't flood a part of the market where most users have found what they consider to be their vape already in hopes they will buy that one too for flavor chasing.

Look at users like willy, the kayfun is a great tank, his top choice. How do i get him to hopefully buy my new tank as well. It has to really be appealing.

Also, the kayfun4, while slightly over engineered I think. Is an excellent tank for light to med/heavy vaping. Still has airflow control.
The kayfun v4 does appear to be a great suggestion here thanks. But maybe a good clone those puppies are expensive lol

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
So...instead of adjusting the nicotine with 0mg juice...could I use VG? Thicken it up a little bit? Do you think? I'd lose flavor, but I could just hunt down a tobacco flavor that's too strong - like the Midnight Express which was WAY too strong, for my taste. It's a little too sweet, too, but cut with VG it might be alright.

I like the Tribeca straight out of the bottle but if it was less, I wouldn't care. When I say "I like it", what I mean is that it's good enough that I'm not wishing it was a cigarette. And, of course, with a better vaporizer, the viscosity probably won't matter, ANYway, right? And if my sense of taste - which is quite sensitive - is screwed up from smoking for 40 years and the taste of the flavor increases, from NOT smoking, I'll have to cut it down anyway.

Apparently I'm going to be a hardware chaser - as opposed to a flavor or cloud chaser, LOL - and I'm justifying that with the fact that smoking cigarettes would run me about $200 a month. Of course, I roll my own which is only about $25 per month, but I won't tell anybody if you don't.
Well as you can see in this thread there are more knowledgeable folks here who could probably give you a better answer, I would think adding VG should help lessen gurgling at least it does for me. Like you say you will have to deal with the flavor dilution. But changing the pg/vg ratio because of a tank is exactly what we should not have to do and that's part of this thread, asking manufacturers to innovate and come out with better tanks for MTL low watt tootle puffers :)

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
Did Phil B say the aspire triton was good for mtl ? It was one of his recent reviews.
He did. The hole through the 1.8 ohm coil is pretty darn small. And the AFC doesn't have any presets, so you are not limited to a set number of airflow options. You can open it all the way, or close it all the way, and any ratio in between.
20150801_150029.jpg
20150801_150006.jpg

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
For those who are concerned about making coils, you can buy premade ones from Fasttech or off ebay. They come in a variety of diameters and wire gauges. You could just slip them onto drill bits for mounting so they don't get squished and wick them.

Look at how many they have now:
Found 267 pre-coiled at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Lavaca5

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I'm primarily a MTL vaper. I tried ProTanks and the original Nautilus and a Kayfun Lite+ and did not have a satisfying experience with any of them - too many dry hits and not enough flavor, although with the Kayfun at least, I will concede that my build was probably the culprit. I switched to sub ohm tanks because those great big juice ports solve both of those problems in spades. I compensate for the airiness by using the smallest airflow setting and thicker juice (to prevent flooding) and by adjusting my draw a bit, i.e., I do a quicker "double draw." While some of the sub ohm tanks are just too airy (the Zephyrus, for example), those "fixes" have been working really well for me with using the .5 ohm coil on Kanger Nano and the RBA deck on SubTank Mini V2+, and also using the .2 ohm ni coil on the Joyetech Mega One.

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Did Phil B say the aspire triton was good for mtl ? It was one of his recent reviews.

He did. The hole through the 1.8 ohm coil is pretty darn small. And the AFC doesn't have any presets, so you are not limited to a set number of airflow options. You can open it all the way, or close it all the way, and any ratio in between.
I love youtube reviews, they sometimes give you a good overview, however usually the reviewers haven't had a lot of time with the device and its always good to seek out other opinions since different folks vape in different ways, so when I was researching the Triton which sounded very promising for MTL hitters, I looked through the forum threads and found this one:
Aspire Triton! | Page 7 | E-Cigarette Forum
The first few pages nothing but glowing reviews of the Triton, but if you follow the thread to the last pages, some of the same people found out the Triton has difficulty vaping anything but very high VG juices (even 50/50 was not high enough VG), without flooding, leaking, in fact liquid was leaking out the air hole, good grief. A number of folks in the thread just quit using it and put their coils in the Atlantis they had. So I don't see this as a solid MTL tank for me at least with this version of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread