Hello industry, we want some MTL vape gear

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
I have one authentic and one clone, both vape the same the clone is not as smooth in operation. Neither is finicky.

I'd say the best premade MTL vape is carto tanks IBTanked sells what I consider the best
View attachment 477050
You know, I was over in the carto threads the other day, and a lot of folks loved the IBTanked! Do you taste the poly in the vape? When I tried some cartomizers, i tended to taste that at least at first. That pic makes it look good :)

Reactions: Boden

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
For those who are concerned about making coils, you can buy premade ones from Fasttech or off ebay. They come in a variety of diameters and wire gauges. You could just slip them onto drill bits for mounting so they don't get squished and wick them.

Look at how many they have now:
Found 267 pre-coiled at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
wow, thanks a bunch for that link, I had no idea you had so many choices of premade coils!

Reactions: Wolfenstark

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
I love youtube reviews, they sometimes give you a good overview, however usually the reviewers haven't had a lot of time with the device and its always good to seek out other opinions since different folks vape in different ways, so when I was researching the Triton which sounded very promising for MTL hitters, I looked through the forum threads and found this one:
Aspire Triton! | Page 7 | E-Cigarette Forum
The first few pages nothing but glowing reviews of the Triton, but if you follow the thread to the last pages, some of the same people found out the Triton has difficulty vaping anything but very high VG juices (even 50/50 was not high enough VG), without flooding, leaking, in fact liquid was leaking out the air hole, good grief. A number of folks in the thread just quit using it and put their coils in the Atlantis they had. So I don't see this as a solid MTL tank for me at least with this version of it.
When I first got my Triton, I didn't even use any of the included coils. I went straight to using Atlantis nickel coils in it. I did try the vAir-T nickel coil at first but they leaked on me (I blame the coil, not the tank). I then tried the Vaporshark Atlantis nickel coil and have been using the same coil for two weeks now and not a single leak (going through at least a dozen tankfuls of juice, one tankful a day). FWIW, the wick holes on the Vaporshark Atlantis coils are smaller than the wick holes on the Triton coils, even the 1.8 ohm one. I've used mostly VG heavy juices, but I have also used several tankfuls of 50/50 juice and still no leaks.

Reactions: David Wolf

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
Here is a comparison between the 0.4 and 1.8 ohm Triton coils and the 0.15 ohm Vaporshark nickel coil for the Atlantis.
20150801_155320.jpg
20150801_155404.jpg

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
wow, thanks a bunch for that link, I had no idea you had so many choices of premade coils!

Yes, you don't ever have to make a coil if you don't want to :). You just have to attach it and wick it.

Making coils is fun for me, but I understand it isn't for everyone.

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
When I first got my Triton, I didn't even use any of the included coils. I went straight to using Atlantis nickel coils in it. I did try the vAir-T nickel coil at first but they leaked on me (I blame the coil, not the tank). I then tried the Vaporshark Atlantis nickel coil and have been using the same coil for two weeks now and not a single leak (going through at least a dozen tankfuls of juice, one tankful a day). FWIW, the wick holes on the Vaporshark Atlantis coils are smaller than the wick holes on the Triton coils, even the 1.8 ohm one. I've used mostly VG heavy juices, but I have also used several tankfuls of 50/50 juice and still no leaks.

Here is a comparison between the 0.4 and 1.8 ohm Triton coils and the 0.15 ohm Vaporshark nickel coil for the Atlantis.
View attachment 477082 View attachment 477083
I think you're on to something, jseah, and I think its worth a lot! You bring the engineer in me out here with those pictures. The wick holes are HUGE in the Triton coils compared even to my nautilus mini, are there two or four of them? My nautilus mini coils are 1.8 ohm cotton and have four smaller holes (still to big or too many imho) that look to be about the size of the wick holes in the Vaporshark coils. Absolutely no doubt in my mind that the Vaporshark coils will perform better than the stock coils with higher PG in the mix, and your experience tends to prove that out. You should consider sharing your information and pics in theTriton thread I linked to abuve, or give them a link back to here, you would be doing those guys a favor.
One other thing I noticed in your pictures, the 1.8 ohm coil has a narrower throat channel and smaller holes in the bottom pin for drawing in the air from outside, that means that as you take a draw the restriction is higher and will tend to pull more liquid into the wick holes, making this coil an even worse design for higher PG fluids. No wonder they have issues with the stock coils.

Another thing I have found that ambient temperature has a significant effect on VG viscosity, and PG as well (to a somewhat lesser degree), the viscosity vs. temp charts I looked at showed VG viscosity decreasing by about half with only a 10 deg C temperature change, thats a big change, and explains why when I was outside vaping earlier in the warm air, why my new GS Air tank (for TC, but i use regular coils) started gurgling even with high VG (I think its 50/50 at least, likely higher VG), I had the new cotton 1.2 ohm vertical coils in it, it has two wider wick slots and cotton, while my older style GS Air tank with the dual 1.5 ohm coils (4 narrow slots) had no issues (it was not that hot today) with 70/30 PG/VG. I came back in the house, cleaned the GS Air tank of excess fluid in the top, and its behaving quite well in the cooler room. My nautilus mini has 1.8 ohm cotton coils with four wick holes, and it gurgles even more in high temperatures.

Edit: I see that you already had shared your success with the Vaporshark coils with the folks in the Triton thread, jseah, good for you!

Last edited:

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
I think you're on to something, jseah, and I think its worth a lot! You bring the engineer in me out here with those pictures. The wick holes are HUGE in the Triton coils compared even to my nautilus mini, are there two or four of them? My nautilus mini coils are 1.2 ohm cotton and have four smaller holes (still to big or too many imho) that look to be about the size of the wick holes in the Vaporshark coils. Absolutely no doubt in my mind that the Vaporshark coils will perform better than the stock coils with higher PG in the mix, and your experience tends to prove that out. You should consider sharing your information and pics in theTriton thread I linked to abuve, or give them a link back to here, you would be doing those guys a favor.
One other thing I noticed in your pictures, the 1.8 ohm coil has a narrower throat channel and smaller holes in the bottom pin for drawing in the air from outside, that means that as you take a draw the restriction is higher and will tend to pull more liquid into the wick holes, making this coil an even worse design for higher PG fluids. No wonder they have issues with the stock coils.

Another thing I have found that ambient temperature has a significant effect on VG viscosity, and PG as well (to a somewhat lesser degree), the viscosity vs. temp charts I looked at showed VG viscosity decreasing by about half with only a 10 deg C temperature change, thats a big change, and explains why when I was outside vaping earlier in the warm air, why my new GS Air tank (for TC, but i use regular coils) started gurgling even with high VG (I think its 50/50 at least, likely higher VG), I had the new cotton 1.2 ohm vertical coils in it, it has two wider wick slots and cotton, while my older style GS Air tank with the dual 1.5 ohm coils (4 narrow slots) had no issues (it was not that hot today) with 70/30 PG/VG. I came back in the house, cleaned the GS Air tank of excess fluid in the top, and its behaving quite well in the cooler room. My nautilus mini has 1.2 ohm cotton coils with four wick holes, and it gurgles even more in high temperatures.

Edit: I see that you already had shared your success with the Vaporshark coils with the folks in the Triton thread, jseah, good for you!
I haven't taken apart any of the Triton coils, but there are 4 wick holes around the tube of the coil, much like the Atlantis and Nautilus coils. However, I suspect that it is much like the Atlantis and Nautilus coils where there is a metal shield inside that effectively blocks two of the wick holes. Two wick holes are exposed to the cotton wrapped around the cotton coil, while the other two requires the juice to wick around the metal shield before it contacts the cotton wrapped around the coil.

These larger wick holes were introduced with the Atlantis 2. So even the 0.5 ohm coil that came in the package with the Atlantis 2 has these larger wick holes. I haven't bought any 0.5 ohm Atlantis coils in a while so I don't know if the ones with the smaller wick holes are even available anymore.

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
You know, I was over in the carto threads the other day, and a lot of folks loved the IBTanked! Do you taste the poly in the vape? When I tried some cartomizers, i tended to taste that at least at first. That pic makes it look good :)
The only way I have ever tasted the poly was when I had the power too high by accident and it melted. In the trash it went. :)

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
I haven't taken apart any of the Triton coils, but there are 4 wick holes around the tube of the coil, much like the Atlantis and Nautilus coils. However, I suspect that it is much like the Atlantis and Nautilus coils where there is a metal shield inside that effectively blocks two of the wick holes. Two wick holes are exposed to the cotton wrapped around the cotton coil, while the other two requires the juice to wick around the metal shield before it contacts the cotton wrapped around the coil.

These larger wick holes were introduced with the Atlantis 2. So even the 0.5 ohm coil that came in the package with the Atlantis 2 has these larger wick holes. I haven't bought any 0.5 ohm Atlantis coils in a while so I don't know if the ones with the smaller wick holes are even available anymore.
Well now I have to take a look myself by taking one of my old naughty coils apart, I presume that the blocked holes is to keep the outer wrap saturated. Does the vapor shark have 4 holes as well? Let me know what you find if you ever take your triton or vaporshark coils apart and thanks for the info! Now wondering if people had similar flooding issues with the Atlantis 2 with the later wick holes when using higher VGs.

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
Well now I have to take a look myself by taking one of my old naughty coils apart, I presume that the blocked holes is to keep the outer wrap saturated. Does the vapor shark have 4 holes as well? Let me know what you find if you ever take your triton or vaporshark coils apart and thanks for the info! Now wondering if people had similar flooding issues with the Atlantis 2 with the later wick holes when using higher VGs.
Yes, the Vaporshark coils has 4 holes as well, with 2 holes blocked.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Currently, I'm just wrapping my index finger around the band for the coil head to block those holes but it's awkward and their tiny and my reading glasses aren't strong enough to let me see them properly, so I'm going to just make my own air flow controller.

We must have been a little more imaginative back when, because reducing air flow was never a problem.
    P1000467.jpg

See that O-ring? We just blocked off as much air as we wanted.
    It also turned that old E-Power cone into a fully functional drip shield.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 12, 2012
    The Clock Barrens, Fillory
    I love the Rüzgar RTA, but not many other people do. The airflow isn't adjustable, so some find it tight. I think it's about the same as medium on a Nautilus, which is perfect for me. I'm currently using a 1.5Ω coil at 4.4v/13w.

The Rüz has a glass tank in a metal sleeve. The build deck is like a KFL, you fill it by turning it upside down and pulling the glass down a little. It's most flavorful tank I have found, although I haven't tried any new tanks since finding my happy spot. Just don't get the clone!!! I got one to compare to an authentic (by Highwind Innovative Designs) and, outside of appearance, it was nothing like it. Pure garbage.

Ruzgar_crop.jpg

WickedWicks

ECF Veteran
    Jan 13, 2015
    Should the industry have stopped innovating those a year or two ago because "it's enough"? MTL hitters are just asking the industry to keep innovating for us instead they are actually discontinuing a lot of what's already out there with very few new tanks or coils for our vaping style.
    That exactly sums it up!

The Aspire Nautilus Mini - or more so the BVC heads - was a MTL game changer. Everybody raved about it. But then came the clouds and development just stopped. Instead all we've seen since then are 3! Subohm tanks (Atlantis1,2/Triton). And we're just talking about Aspire here.

My main complaint is the almost non existant development of MTL clearos. I prefer clearos because I like chimney coils, not only do they provide very satisfying vape experience but also they seem to last me longer. I've built chimney coils in RTAs too, but to get the wicking right is a PITA.
    So I'm quite pleased we've seen updated cotton BVC heads like the Aspire BVC, Eleaf GS, Kanger S/VOCC.

BUT
    Why haven't the tanks been refreshed? We have to vape in cheap outdated plated tanks. Of course there is improvement to be made.

Again, even providing higher Ohm heads for subohm tanks is not the solution. Everything is too big in Subohm tanks. The coils, the chimney, the AFC. MTL gear needs to be more refined. I'd say even the Nautilus Mini wasts too much space with it's big coil head / chimney section. The regular BVC heads work better anyways imho.

So how about a 16mm all stainless steel Nautilus Nano with regular BVC heads just to give an example.

cincocc

Jul 27, 2015
    Illinois, USA
    We must have been a little more imaginative back when, because reducing air flow was never a problem.

I thought about an o-ring, but all of those I was able to find were too big so I had to use a rubber band. But you're right, it did take me all day to think of it. I was going to cut one down but the newest bottle of CA I could find was 5 years old. Got some junk cleared out thought, so that's good I guess...

The more junk I went through, the more it all started looking like something that would make a pretty cool mod, LOL.

Did you make the one in the pic? It's pretty cool - sort of steampunky. How old is it?

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    Williamsport Md
    Not really getting the just of this thread. Must one expect to suck on a straw to be a toodle poofer?

While I enjoy my Orchid RTA's at .4 Dual coiled my wife happily Toots along on a Pair of Kayfun RTA's coiled to 1.7ohm running 7.5w.

Is this a size fear factor at work?
    Who decided a spoon must be (X) size to be proper for all to use? :blink:

David Wolf

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 11, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    P1000467.jpg

That is definitely a man's mans mod, haha :)

Not really getting the just of this thread. Must one expect to suck on a straw to be a toodle poofer?

While I enjoy my Orchid RTA's at .4 Dual coiled my wife happily Toots along on a Pair of Kayfun RTA's coiled to 1.7ohm running 7.5w.

LOL! Nah, were just whining cause there aren't a lot of new tanks coming out for tootle puffing MTL folks. The first post that started this thread tells the criteria of what a lot of us would like, and to that I would add Variable liquid flow control to allow a wide variety of PG/VG ratios.
    I myself started out with tight drawing devices, now with the GS Air's I like a little airier flow.. but I don't want a huge 3/4 inch galvanized pipe sized drip tip like you see on those sub-ohm tanks ;)

Last edited:

Boden

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 7, 2012
    Lexington KY

Toodle Poofer...:lol:

I think the original joke has mutated in a few ways. It was originally a tag for a person who vapes in a leisurely way. Relaxed, laid back, not worried about the newest latest greatest and showing off. Basically the opposite of a cloud chaser. Both started out as teasing jabs but have been embraced as terms of endearment.

I personally think it's silly but this kind of playful back and forth is what people do. People like teams, basic tribal mentality that we still have in our psyche.

I can leisurely vape on a .4ohm dual coil dripper at 45W or a 1.8ohm Kayfun at 10W, doesn't matter. Doesn't matter it's a state of mind, not a piece of gear.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread