Hello new at vaping please help my coil burnt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VapeBoy25

Jul 20, 2017
Hi everyone Im new to the the forums by the way. Anyway I had recent experiences with vape and every time I get one I always get a burnt taste. I stopped vaping because I didnt know what was wrong. After a few months go by I finally buy the smok alien kit. As soon as I get it all I do is fill the tank and start trying to vape then I just get a very bad burnt taste in my mouth. I learned that is not how you are suppose to do it. I then primed the coil and waited and minute and it still taste horrible. Is it because I burnt the coil too bad already? I only vaped it for a couple of seconds on 90w. I know this sounds stupid but any help would be appreciated? What did I do wrong? I have another coil but dont want to burn it?

VapeBoy25

Jul 20, 2017
Hello and welcome! Unfortunately once a coil is burnt it's done. After priming a new coil try taking dry pulls (no power) and start at low wattage and raise it up slowly until you get it to where you like it.
Thanks for such a quick response. But your saying that the first day I get it and i vape it for only like 5 seconds at a high wattage its already burnt?

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
12 mg/ml nic is gonna be harsh using that set up / most subohm delivery devices (tanks).
6 or 3 mg/ml nic is usual.

Always thoroughly prime a new / unused head, drip drops of liquid on the wicking material until fully saturated. Then thread head into base, fill tank, thread tank & base together, let sit a few minutes, take a few unpowered primer puffs.
Always start a new head at a low power setting & work your way up gradually over the first at least half to full tank.

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2015
Thanks for such a quick response. But your saying that the first day I get it and i vape it for only like 5 seconds at a high wattage its already burnt?
It can and does happen. If your trying it again (burnt coil) and it still taste burnt, than the cotton is scorched and once that happens the burnt flavor sticks with the coil.

Reactions: SnapDragon NY

VapeBoy25

Jul 20, 2017
12 mg/ml nic is gonna be harsh using that set up / most subohm delivery devices (tanks).
6 or 3 mg/ml nic is usual.

Always thoroughly prime a new / unused head, drip drops of liquid on the wicking material until fully saturated. Then thread head into base, fill tank, thread tank & base together, let sit a few minutes, take a few unpowered primer puffs.
Always start a new head at a low power setting & work your way up gradually over the first at least half to full tank.

Wow Thank you all for the help Ill know next time.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
To each their own, but I thread the coil onto the base and then prime it. Less mess for me.

Yes, that coil unit is fried. Chalk it up to experience--we've all been there.

It's also true that you'll likely find 12mg to be too strong in that device. If you want, you can cut that liquid down to 9mg using Vegetable Glycerin. One part VG to three parts your liquid.

Vegetable Glycerin is likely available at your local pharmacy. Get USP Anhydrous.

Aus11

Verified Member
Jun 16, 2017
Hollywood, FL
You also need to prime the coil. When you get a new coil, before you fill it. Drip a few drops slowly into each open cotton hole. After this put the tank back together and fill it. let it sit for 30 minutes if you want to be absolutely safe. Then start firing at the lowest wattage the coil is rated for, and like others have said. Go up slowly from the coils base wattage.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
If you've never primed a coil before (properly) look at it as good news.... Hopefully you can successfully vape this device. That said, depending on your wattage and coils, you may be going through coils more quickly than you expect, in any case. Coils do need to be changed over time so hopefully you'll get decent usage out of them. I find remaining as low a wattage as I can tolerate but still like a useful practice in general, so agreed on the starting at 20 watts to where it ends up vaping comfortably.

Good luck!

Anna

Reactions: SnapDragon NY

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Wow, 90 watts to start? And with 12mg juice? I would back off of that a bit. Assuming you got the TFV-8 Baby Beast in the kit, try the .4 ohm dual coil at about 30 watts to start, or even the .6 ohm dual at about 20 watts. The .6 is rated up to 50 watts and recommended 30-40, while the .4 is rated to 80 watts and recommended 55-65. If you find the vape is too weak to please you in that range, you can move up to a quad or octuple coil. Seriously, 50 watts, not to mention 80, is some pretty serious power on a vape coil; it would be unusual for a beginner to move directly there and like it enough to stick with it and quit smoking. If I tried to vape at 90 watts, I'd get a burnt taste too, but it would be my throat lining, not the coil ;)

And no matter where you go, 12mg juice is almost certainly too much nic for direct lung-- inhaling directly into the lungs, not taking a mouthful of vapor and then inhaling it-- subohm hits. Three to 6mg is much more normal in that power range. Everyone is different, of course. Maybe you're a 4PAD chain-smoker trying to quit and you need that much nic. But I was a 2PAD smoker for decades and if I tried 12mg juice at my feeble little .5 ohm coils and 40 watts, I'd have a headache after 3 hits and be nauseous and puking after 12 from the nic overdose. The juice in question need not be wasted, if you decide 12 is too much. Simply buy a bottle of 0mg in the same flavor and mix equal volumes for 6mg, or 2:1 for 3mg.

Not trying to bust your chops here, dude, or tell you what to do. Please yourself. But I am trying to get you started well. Welcome to the board.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
As others have said, 12mg juiced probably too high and 90 watts, even after priming and breaking in too high.

Lower the nic level to at least 6mg. Prime a new coil as suggested above. Start out at about 30 watts and take a few pulls. Most likely will give you very faint results, but no worry...you are breaking in the coil. Go up 4 or 5 watts at a time with a few puffs each time. You should gradually see an improvement in results. Somewhere between 46 and 54 watts, you should be getting good results, so just enjoy those and make small adjustments to fine tune your vape. Once you get it tuned in where it is working for you, then you can start pushing the watts a bit. But stay away from 90 watts for this set-up. I run the T8 coils and rarely get above watts in the 50's.

Welcome and by all means, let us know how it works out for you! :vapor:

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I see a lot of posts here stating 12mg is likely to high in a sub ohm tank like your using and they are could be correct, but one thing to note is if you go lower you might still crave cigs because of the low nic. There have been some who go low nic and eventually go back to smokes, which is not ok , so just keep this in mind , there is another format in vaping and it's high nic and low mtl power with different type tanks and it's certainly another option if that scenario ever happens

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Hi everyone Im new to the the forums by the way. Anyway I had recent experiences with vape and every time I get one I always get a burnt taste. I stopped vaping because I didnt know what was wrong. After a few months go by I finally buy the smok alien kit. As soon as I get it all I do is fill the tank and start trying to vape then I just get a very bad burnt taste in my mouth. I learned that is not how you are suppose to do it. I then primed the coil and waited and minute and it still taste horrible. Is it because I burnt the coil too bad already? I only vaped it for a couple of seconds on 90w. I know this sounds stupid but any help would be appreciated? What did I do wrong? I have another coil but dont want to burn it?
Welcome and glad you joined.
Since vaping is totally scalable, the choice you have can be overwhelming. The main thing to remember is part of vaping is all about you, the vaper, being in control and the freedom to fix/tailor any aspect you feel you need to improve.
You are smart to ask for guidance, the more you read, the more likely you are apt to enjoy vaping.
Might like to read and watch:
(10) Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder with Egos and Mods | E-Cigarette Forum
Could read:
Tank type atomizers... For new vapists - how they work | E-Cigarette Forum
TFV8 leaking
http://diyordievaping.com/2016/02/26/why-is-my-ejuice-harsh-beginner-diy-ejuice-tips/
Wattage vs. Flavor | E-Cigarette Forum
How to adjust your base to reduce that peppery harsh Nicotine taste | E-Cigarette Forum
To improve your vaping knowledge:
http://www.vaporauthority.com/pages/learn
http://www.ecigarettedirect.co.uk/a...tte-college-guides-tutorials-information.html
http://guidetovaping.com/category/e-cig-beginner/
http://vapingcheap.com/vaping-101/
(1) Proper Terminology - Is it a carto, a tank, or what? A Guide to Juice Attachments. | E-Cigarette Forum

Reactions: Tonee N
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread