Hello, New Guy Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KvK86

Jun 23, 2017
Glad you finally joined! How long have you been vaping? Any problems or questions?[/QUOTE

Hello, and thank you!
No problems, per se .. too much wire and not enough hours in the day!
I actually started vaping (and stopped cigs) around the first week of February this year, but I didn't start really "gettin down" with it until March... I was bitten by the build bug. And bad! I finally got a proper drill the last part of May, and so far I've had 100% success rate with anything clapton, so naturally I was fee

KvK86

Jun 23, 2017
(Sorry. I inadvertantly sent that last message prematurely)
Naturally I was feeling cocky, you know, feelin' myself as a builder, after all, ppl DO buy my coils at a local B & M. But a couple failed attempts at Staggered fused claptons knocked me back down to Earth! I love vaping and everything it entails, but I usually have 101 questions a day and nobody to really ask...... thx for the welcome!

KvK86

Jun 23, 2017
Welcome K, glad to see you decided to join. How about letting us know a little bit about yourself.
Yes. Of course! Sorry for my lack of manners...
I'm a divorced white male who has an affinity for tube mechs, although at present I only have two. I'm in my 40s, work two jobs (one PT, and one occasionally at a local vape shop) and I take adult classes in a nearby city; I live with family in Great Lakes region, I have three Wismecs and several Smok mods (everybody has a right be a sucker once or twice) and I am mostly into the tech stuff abd building part of vaping, but I'm by no means an expert (i've still yet to purchase a true parallel unregulated box mod for my sketchy low ohm builds that I make on ocassions, and accidentally!)
I figure by all the knowledgable guys here, I could pick up a few things!
I'm currently on a "parallel" build kick, (sometimes called 'Staged Heating') where I take a smaller clapton, say 28/38g , and intersperse or "parallel" wrap it with a larger clapton, like a 22/30g. I swear these are the better builds for flavor, and I'd like to try intermingling Ni80 and twist it with SS 316L or another type, maybe Ka1 and use this as a component in a different staged heating type of combo....
I feel like I'm babbling now, But thanks and ask me anything!

Reactions: Diver9543

KvK86

Jun 23, 2017
I was going to use this story for starting a new thread, but since I can't figure out how, I'll just post it here.

Many of the young bucks I make fused claptons, claptons, etc. for down at the Vape shop say, "Klayton, why the Tube mechs?"

Well, I'd like to show why, and how I answered them and tell a little story in the process....

A few years back, before I was actually vaping, my eldest brother was into vaping, along with some of his MC-type Harley enthusiast friends ... well, there was one in particular that made an impression upon me, and probably does anyone (who vapes) and comes into contact with this eccentric individual ...

We'll call him "Dripper Dave" for the sake of anonymity.
'Ol DD was a huge dude, and subsequently everything he did, he did large and over-the-top. This extended to vaping, too.
He had big mechs; dual stacked 26650s and über-long dual 18650 stacked tubes were all he vaped; he claimed all other vaping paraphernalia was for little girls.... this made an indelible (sp?) mark on my not-yet-vaping psyche ...
DD was close to my brother. They went to H.S. together. Ate together... drank together; even picked up girls, and..... well, you get the picture.

DD had/has a diamond tool shop... he makes all kinds of custom bike parts for him and his club brothers ... (you'll see the significance of this next)
One fateful afternoon, he and my brother were talking vaping, and exchanging vapes
And generally just "kicking it" ... one of them had the bright idea, after looking over one of the CNC metal lathes, to spin up a DIY genuine home-made RDA and Tube mech.... of course, they didn't have any No. 1 copper layin around. But they did the best they could with what they had, and their initial results were, as I now know what I know about Goons, Trolls, RR, twisted messes, Mutations, etc, actually very cool!

In summary, after seeing this old geezer hittin this monstrosity of a mech mod, out of stainless steel, and literally filling up my old man's garage with plumes of thick, white, sweet smelling plumes, He unknowingly (along with my ...... brother) got me hooked on not only vaping, but tube mechs, forever ..... He told me the story of making his own hardware, and now I'm telling you.

Mechanical tubes forever.

(He is still to this day trying to find a backer, or sponsor, for his RDA & Tube, and last I heard, he was waiting on word from the patent office for something...)

Reactions: Diver9543

KvK86

Jun 23, 2017
Glad you finally joined! How long have you been vaping? Any problems or questions?
Ok, here's two legit questions...
Would you pay 50.00 USD for a Laisimo L1 200 watt TC mod? (Same maker as Snow Wolf)
And, what are a few unregulated dual 18650 box mods (Set-up or wired for batteries in parallel, maybe a mosfet and other nominal safety features, not too much) that won't break the bank, (under 100.00 USD) but will last at least a few years? Would I be better off building one?

Diver9543

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK, USA
Yes. Of course! Sorry for my lack of manners...
I'm a divorced white male who has an affinity for tube mechs, although at present I only have two. I'm in my 40s, work two jobs (one PT, and one occasionally at a local vape shop) and I take adult classes in a nearby city; I live with family in Great Lakes region, I have three Wismecs and several Smok mods (everybody has a right be a sucker once or twice) and I am mostly into the tech stuff abd building part of vaping, but I'm by no means an expert (i've still yet to purchase a true parallel unregulated box mod for my sketchy low ohm builds that I make on ocassions, and accidentally!)
I figure by all the knowledgable guys here, I could pick up a few things!
I'm currently on a "parallel" build kick, (sometimes called 'Staged Heating') where I take a smaller clapton, say 28/38g , and intersperse or "parallel" wrap it with a larger clapton, like a 22/30g. I swear these are the better builds for flavor, and I'd like to try intermingling Ni80 and twist it with SS 316L or another type, maybe Ka1 and use this as a component in a different staged heating type of combo....
I feel like I'm babbling now, But thanks and ask me anything!

I was going to use this story for starting a new thread, but since I can't figure out how, I'll just post it here.

Many of the young bucks I make fused claptons, claptons, etc. for down at the Vape shop say, "Klayton, why the Tube mechs?"

Well, I'd like to show why, and how I answered them and tell a little story in the process....

A few years back, before I was actually vaping, my eldest brother was into vaping, along with some of his MC-type Harley enthusiast friends ... well, there was one in particular that made an impression upon me, and probably does anyone (who vapes) and comes into contact with this eccentric individual ...

We'll call him "Dripper Dave" for the sake of anonymity.
'Ol DD was a huge dude, and subsequently everything he did, he did large and over-the-top. This extended to vaping, too.
He had big mechs; dual stacked 26650s and über-long dual 18650 stacked tubes were all he vaped; he claimed all other vaping paraphernalia was for little girls.... this made an indelible (sp?) mark on my not-yet-vaping psyche ...
DD was close to my brother. They went to H.S. together. Ate together... drank together; even picked up girls, and..... well, you get the picture.

DD had/has a diamond tool shop... he makes all kinds of custom bike parts for him and his club brothers ... (you'll see the significance of this next)
One fateful afternoon, he and my brother were talking vaping, and exchanging vapes
And generally just "kicking it" ... one of them had the bright idea, after looking over one of the CNC metal lathes, to spin up a DIY genuine home-made RDA and Tube mech.... of course, they didn't have any No. 1 copper layin around. But they did the best they could with what they had, and their initial results were, as I now know what I know about Goons, Trolls, RR, twisted messes, Mutations, etc, actually very cool!

In summary, after seeing this old geezer hittin this monstrosity of a mech mod, out of stainless steel, and literally filling up my old man's garage with plumes of thick, white, sweet smelling plumes, He unknowingly (along with my ...... brother) got me hooked on not only vaping, but tube mechs, forever ..... He told me the story of making his own hardware, and now I'm telling you.

Mechanical tubes forever.

(He is still to this day trying to find a backer, or sponsor, for his RDA & Tube, and last I heard, he was waiting on word from the patent office for something...)
Thank you for sharing. It sounds like you have some friends for life. 95% of what you said was over my head. I'm a 63-year old widower and enjoy my Kayfuns. I have 2 V3.1s and 2 V5s, the V5's are on Wismec RX200s and the V3.1s are on eVic VTs (you mentioned mistakes). I have probably a dozen mec mods in my deeming box along with a load of various RDAs. I don't make Claptons or anything like that. I have changed over to SS316L for my coils and stay right at .5Ω for my favorite ADV. I also make my own juice and have settled on a Mango Cream that I haven't changed in the last 4 months.
Again, welcome and thanks for sharing.
Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread