Hello, Question about Istick Pico 75W 0.3ohm

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkorkmaz1

Dec 7, 2016
Hi there,

I just ordered the Istick Pico 75W and ordered additional 0.3ohm coils with it. I also ordered two Panasonic ncr18650B batteries to use with my vape. As I was doing additional research i came across people saying that the Panasonic batteries are "low discharge rate" and that 0.3 ohms would require too high of an amperage to work with it. Now I am sort of regretting buying the Panasonic batteries since I may not be able to use them. However, some people did state that the low discharge rate was only for continuous use (like flashlights) and 5 - 6 seconds of usage at a time would be okay for vaping. Also on a vaping website i saw the batteries being sold for vapes and they suggest that the 7 amps of power is ample for "tank users". I will be using the melo 3 tank (4ml) that comes with the vape.

Im pretty confused on what i'm supposed to do. Do you guys suggest I not use the batteries at all? Or should use them and vape at specific wattages on the 0.3ohm coils? Im not sure how the calculation for these watts, amps, etc. work and I cannot figure it out on my own. Can somebody please suggest a recommended wattage if I am able to use it?

Thank you. :toast:

The website that suggested the 7 amps was enough was here:
Panasonic NCRB 3400 mAh 18650 - Wake and Vape

Last edited:

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Hi there,

I just ordered the Istick Pico 75W and ordered additional 0.3ohm coils with it. I also ordered two Panasonic ncr18650B batteries to use with my vape. As I was doing additional research i came across people saying that the Panasonic batteries are "low discharge rate" and that 0.3 ohms would require too high of an amperage to work with it. Now I am sort of regretting buying the Panasonic batteries since I may not be able to use them. However, some people did state that the low discharge rate was only for continuous use (like flashlights) and 5 - 6 seconds of usage at a time would be okay for vaping. Also on a vaping website i saw the batteries being sold for vapes and they suggest that the 7 amps of power is ample for "tank users". I will be using the melo 3 tank (4ml) that comes with the vape.

Im pretty confused on what i'm supposed to do. Do you guys suggest I not use the batteries at all? Or should use them and vape at specific wattages on the 0.3ohm coils? Im not sure how the calculation for these watts, amps, etc. work and I cannot figure it out on my own. Can somebody please suggest a recommended wattage if I am able to use it?

The Pico calls for a 25 amp rated battery.

gandymarsh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
WI, USA
battery chart.jpg

Reactions: Eskie

GBalkam

Apr 29, 2016
DO NOT even try to use those batteries for vaping. 7 amp discharge, the mod is going to pull 16A to 25A, basically 3 times the constant discharge rate the battery is rated for. This causes the battery to heat up very quickly, leading to venting and BOOM.

Panosonic is a decent brand, but it is the low end of what we use. Make sure your batteries are rated 20A or 25A constant discharge, and should be 2000mah to 3000mah. A good battery is Samsung 25R. Sony, Samsung and LG all the way. Always use only HIGH DISCHARGE batteries for vaping. Sure, the brand name are a little more expensive, but you know exactly what you are getting.

Quite frankly, and yes this IS meant to scare you, if I put those batteries in my mechanical mod, and fired it using the coil I have in my atomizer right now, it would blow nearly instantly.

Don't worry though, lots of help here on getting good batteries and how to make sure they don't go boom.

Reactions: djsvapour

GBalkam

Apr 29, 2016
Ohms law for 7A at 0.3ohm
Resistance 0.3
Voltage 2.1
Current 7A
Power 14.7 Watts

Basically, that battery might be ok for an ecig with 6 to 15 watts... however watch...

Istick Pico 75W

Power = 75W
Current = 15.81 amp

Well above double your max CDR rate.
I doubt it will run on the pico, but I wouldn't try it.

Honestly, your best bet is just pop down to the local shop and pick up a couple new batteries made my Samsung, LG or Sony. a samsung 25r is very good, or a 20A 3000mah is fine. (amps are constant discharge rate.. never buy a battery that has a "pulse" rate listed on the wrapper. (no such thing so they are lying to you from the start)

Now I use a mechanical mod for cloud chasing. I use super sub ohm coils, and you see the name of the guy at the top of the battery list? Mooch? I talked to him first. I won't even try to push a battery that hard. And I am using a lot better quality of battery. :) (I am actually using the Samsung 25r that i recommended earlier. LOL)

Last edited:
Reactions: David Wolf

daviedog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
Florida
Voltage times Amps = Watts

20 watts/4.2 volts = 4.7 amp draw

Cell in mod does not even 'see' coil resistance.

Conceivably you could use for a while, yet as voltage declines current rises to maintain wattage set.
50 watts/3.7 volts= +13 amps. This common condition far exceeds the safe current limits of the Panasonic.
Don't use your batteries.
Do explore ohm/watts law..

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Ohms law for 7A at 0.3ohm
Resistance 0.3
Voltage 2.1
Current 7A
Power 14.7 Watts

Basically, that battery might be ok for an ecig with 6 to 15 watts... however watch...

Istick Pico 75W

Power = 75W
Current = 15.81 amp

Well above double your max CDR rate.
I doubt it will run on the pico, but I wouldn't try it.

Honestly, your best bet is just pop down to the local shop and pick up a couple new batteries made my Samsung, LG or Sony. a samsung 25r is very good, or a 20A 3000mah is fine. (amps are constant discharge rate.. never buy a battery that has a "pulse" rate listed on the wrapper. (no such thing so they are lying to you from the start)

Now I use a mechanical mod for cloud chasing. I use super sub ohm coils, and you see the name of the guy at the top of the battery list? Mooch? I talked to him first. I won't even try to push a battery that hard. And I am using a lot better quality of battery. :) (I am actually using the Samsung 25r that i recommended earlier. LOL)
Your calculations are of for a regulated mod.

Watts (+10% to account for chip inefficiency) / cutoff voltage (3.2 on the Pico) = amps. Resistance doesn't factor in.

So 7 amps (I don't believe that Panasonic has a 7 amp cdr though) is good for about 20 amps. However, the battery in question isn't safe chemistry and is therefore unsuited for vaping. Also, near their cdr the actual useable capacity of batteries is lower, so a 3000 mAh 20-amp battery is likely to give better battery runtime.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

GBalkam

Apr 29, 2016
Voltage times Amps = Watts

20 watts/4.2 volts = 4.7 amp draw

Cell in mod does not even 'see' coil resistance.

Conceivably you could use for a while, yet as voltage declines current rises to maintain wattage set.
50 watts/3.7 volts= +13 amps. This common condition far exceeds the safe current limits of the Panasonic.
Don't use your batteries.
Do explore ohm/watts law..
True that the cell doesn't "see" the resistance of the coil, however we have to consider it to calculate the amount of watts required to heat the coil. Since heating will require more watts, the more watts you add to heat the coil, the higher the amp draw will be. For example, 6 wraps of 32ga stainless steel will vape quite nicely at only 11 to 13 watts. So although the mod doesn't really register the coil, we know you need to push more watts according to coil resistance, more watts = more strain on the batteries.
Now what it comes down to is what everyone seems to be saying.. Don't risk it for the sake of $12 for a new battery.
This site is going to be your bestest friend. Ohm's law
Between that and the coil wrapping wizard, everything you need is right there.
What ever site you looked at that said it was ok to use those batteries for vaping, delete it and don't shop there.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Hi there,

Until you understand the various presentations above, which might take a while, play it safe and use a 25 amp rated battery made by a major manufacturer and purchased from a trusted source, meaning no fakes.

My favorite mod is the pico. My coils are 1.4 ohm and my settings never exceed 30 watts. I use a 20 amp battery that has a bit more endurance than the 25 amp recommended for the iStick. I feel that's safe for me because at 3 volts, where the mod is designed to shut off, my 30 watts setting should be drawing 10 amps, half of what the battery is designed to tolerate. I value that safety margin. That is determined by Watts law (thankyou Mr. Watt). Volts x amps = watts. I believe people choosing their own batteries should be able to do that calculation from memory, apply it to their battery and watts setting and understand why it is important. If you are not there yet use only a 25 amp rated battery.

GBalkam

Apr 29, 2016
Thanks a lot for the help guys! Decided that I'm going to sell the Panasonic's and pick myself up some LG's at 25A. :thumbs:
I wouldn't sell them as vaping batteries, unless the person has a real low watt mod (like under 20w max). It's better to just take the hit on the cost as a learning experience than live with feeling badly if something happens to the person you sell them to.
I find it hard to believe that shop sold them to you saying those were good for vaping. Not doubting you at all, but it isn't in the shops best interest. First it hurts their reputation and 2ndly it cuts down on their profit. Obviously profit on a $12 sale is bigger than on a $5 sale. (assuming the same mark up).

GBalkam

Apr 29, 2016
You might like to consider this battery. LG HG2 Review (20A, 3000mAh)
The LG HG2 is pretty much the best of the best for regulated mods. 20A CDR and 3000mah. So lots of power and long run time between charges. They cost a couple dollars more, but on your mod, at like 40w or so, you probably will only have to recharge them every couple days. My current build, is on a 200w box mod, using 106 watts. Pulling 27A (on the 2 cells) so more than enough OOMPH. Of course Samsung 25r are almost as good, and maybe $2 cheaper but with aprox 18% less run time.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
True that the cell doesn't "see" the resistance of the coil, however we have to consider it to calculate the amount of watts required to heat the coil. Since heating will require more watts, the more watts you add to heat the coil, the higher the amp draw will be. For example, 6 wraps of 32ga stainless steel will vape quite nicely at only 11 to 13 watts. So although the mod doesn't really register the coil, we know you need to push more watts according to coil resistance, more watts = more strain on the batteries.
Now what it comes down to is what everyone seems to be saying.. Don't risk it for the sake of $12 for a new battery.
This site is going to be your bestest friend. Ohm's law
Between that and the coil wrapping wizard, everything you need is right there.
What ever site you looked at that said it was ok to use those batteries for vaping, delete it and don't shop there.
It's not about resistance, it's about coil mass. You could build a high resistance coil using thin wire but lots of wraps which would require more power than a low resistance coil built with thicker wire but only a couple of wraps.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
My current build, is on a 200w box mod, using 106 watts. Pulling 27A (on the 2 cells) so more than enough OOMPH. Of course Samsung 25r are almost as good, and maybe $2 cheaper but with aprox 18% less run time.

I'm not sure how you're doing your calculations here. At 106w you're drawing about 18 amps per battery.

117 (106w + 10%) / 6.4 (two batteries in series, cutoff voltage 3.2) = 18.3 amps (per battery)

Reactions: daviedog

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Hi there,

Welcome and glad you joined. This should answer your questions.
Might like to read:
18650 Battery Buying Guide for Vapor Users – Wake and Vape Blog
(9) Battery Basics for Mods; the Ultimate Battery Guide | E-Cigarette Forum
(12) Deeper Understanding of Mod Batteries - Part I | E-Cigarette Forum
Battery Safety: Will You Marry Me? - Mt Baker Vapor

bkorkmaz1

Dec 7, 2016
I wouldn't sell them as vaping batteries, unless the person has a real low watt mod (like under 20w max). It's better to just take the hit on the cost as a learning experience than live with feeling badly if something happens to the person you sell them to.
I find it hard to believe that shop sold them to you saying those were good for vaping. Not doubting you at all, but it isn't in the shops best interest. First it hurts their reputation and 2ndly it cuts down on their profit. Obviously profit on a $12 sale is bigger than on a $5 sale. (assuming the same mark up).

I'm not that type of person to trick somebody into buying the wrong batteries for a vape. I'll probably just sell them for a flashlight user or something simple. I was scared ....less when I heard about the explosions that happen when using the wrong batteries. I was even considering using oven gloves during the assembly to protect my hands from an explosion lol. But yeah I wouldn't want to be the cause of somebody's injury. And for the new batteries I ordered I did purchased the LG HG2. I made a typo in my last post saying that they were 25A. They look like the best batteries on the market right now and for a good price.

GBalkam

Apr 29, 2016
I'm not that type of person to trick somebody into buying the wrong batteries for a vape. I'll probably just sell them for a flashlight user or something simple. I was scared ....less when I heard about the explosions that happen when using the wrong batteries. I was even considering using oven gloves during the assembly to protect my hands from an explosion lol. But yeah I wouldn't want to be the cause of somebody's injury. And for the new batteries I ordered I did purchased the LG HG2. I made a typo in my last post saying that they were 25A. They look like the best batteries on the market right now and for a good price.
Well I wouldn't go as far as to say "trick".
Yeah, the HG2s are good batteries. Just keep in mind, what are best for one thing aren't best for another thing. They are pretty awesome for regulated mods. I think I'll hint to wifey that a couple would fit in my xmas stocking.. lol. One set of my batteries is on its last legs I think. Been using them for 8 months now, so I have to recharge them more often, so getting close to replacement time. Figure, when you have fully charged batteries and they say battery low when you hit them at high watts, its time to replace them. (blah blah blah, internal chemistry, voltage drop, blah blah... replace batteries)
I'll just give them to the young guy down stairs. He has a 75w box so they would still be fine for him for awhile.

Reactions: bkorkmaz1
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread