HELP! All 3 of My Batteries Died in One Night

Status
Not open for further replies.

julesb

Feb 16, 2013
Dallas, Texas
I have 2 Joyetech & 1 Evod battery. I recently started rebulding my own coils for my protank. Last night while I was vaping, my batteries began to act up one after the other. The light would flicker 3 times, and not hold a solid vape. It would just flash and I couldn't smoke off of it. Both of my Joytech''s lights turned half blue half white. When I plugged one in to charge it wouldn't even charge at all. The other two had the red charging light lit up, but they never got fully charged after hours. I could smoke off of the Evod as long as it was plugged in. But iif I took off the charger, the light wouldn't even come on when I pushed the button to vape. These three batteries I purchased at various times and different stores. So it isn't how old they are or where they came from. I really have no idea what is going on. I mentioned that I have been rebuilding, because that is the only thing I could thing of that may have caused this? And I have no idea why it would. Today I have gotten two of the batteries to hold charge and to vape every few times I try. I also have three tanks. The first two I used on the two working batteries. But when I went to use the third tank, it is like it blew out the third battery again. I am just confused! I don't know about any of the technical stuff that come with the batteries or even rebuilding. If you have any idea what may have happened, shoot me a reply! i would really appreciate it :p

Last edited:

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
'fraid I have to agree with Rick. What is the actual coil resistance of those you rebuilt? Too low and damage to the battery will result. :(

NEVER fire an unknown value coil. While a visual inspection will show gross errors on something like a Kayfun, the way PT heads re-assemble you can't see the whole thing. They MUST be put to a meter before using them.

Do you have a factory coil you can try? As Rick says, repeated firing can lead to frying, but maybe you got lucky...

julesb

Feb 16, 2013
Dallas, Texas
Resistance on your coils too low? what kind of batteries? People are going to want to know this information. Being that you trashed 3 batteries i find it hard to believe its the batteries and more with your coil building. Severely undercharged batteries will no longer hold a charge as well.

I purchased these pre wound coils that someone from this site recommended. They say they are 2.2 ohm. The batteries are Joyetech & Evod pass throughs. I didn't even know I could short out the batteries from the coils. I just followed a youtube video (again something someone on this site suggested) to finish the rebuild. It is super simple. What could be a cause of a short? I am not sure what it is that I could have done wrong. I have narrowed it down to one coil I used...I have stopped using it and will throw it out. The batteries are starting to charge and work just fine again. But I want to know what could have gone wrong for future rebuilding. Thanks for your response!
here is the link for the coils I bought: https://www.fasttech.com/products/1593900

julesb

Feb 16, 2013
Dallas, Texas
Usually it would mean that the leads or coil came into contact with something conductive that allowed the electrical charge to flow more easily than the coil would allow. So was it touching anything?

so, you mean the wire isn't cut short enough and could be touching like the battery when i screw it in??

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
so, you mean the wire isn't cut short enough and could be touching like the battery when i screw it in??

Possible.

Could also be that they got twisted around each other when putting the bottom grommet and pin in, or twisted inside the cup and the positive leg touching it... hence the need for a meter to check.

Don't toss it. Save it to rebuild (or practice rebuild) later. After you get a meter :)

Worst case is the battery protection circuit itself fails and keeps the power flowing into the short. Battery may go up in smoke and or flame. Not real likely, but possible. More likely the protection circuit does work, but burns out and the battery is then useless.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
I purchased these pre wound coils that someone from this site recommended. They say they are 2.2 ohm. The batteries are Joyetech & Evod pass throughs. I didn't even know I could short out the batteries from the coils. I just followed a youtube video (again something someone on this site suggested) to finish the rebuild. It is super simple. What could be a cause of a short? I am not sure what it is that I could have done wrong. I have narrowed it down to one coil I used...I have stopped using it and will throw it out. The batteries are starting to charge and work just fine again. But I want to know what could have gone wrong for future rebuilding. Thanks for your response!
here is the link for the coils I bought: https://www.fasttech.com/products/1593900

I am using some pre wound coils i purchased online. they are 2.2ohm....how can i tell if there is a short? i have just been pretty much teaching myself how to do all of this. i wasn't even aware i needed to check anything before using them :facepalm:

Several things - none of which you can easily detect without a meter.

If you allow side of the coil that goes to the center post to touch the outside metal "chamber" you are putting the coil into that can create a short.

If you aren't careful installing the center post insulator and the legs of the coil get bent out of shape at the top of the insulator that can create a short.

If you don't trim the legs of the coil off sufficiently after the center post insulator and center post are in place that can create a short.

This is one of the best "how to" explanations I have read for rebuilding a Kanger coil. See if anything rings a bell there: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...20-kanger-protank-rebuild-33.html#post9844874

julesb

Feb 16, 2013
Dallas, Texas
Several things - none of which you can easily detect without a meter.

If you allow side of the coil that goes to the center post to touch the outside metal "chamber" you are putting the coil into that can create a short.

If you aren't careful installing the center post insulator and the legs of the coil get bent out of shape at the top of the insulator that can create a short.

If you don't trim the legs of the coil off sufficiently after the center post insulator and center post are in place that can create a short.

This is one of the best "how to" explanations I have read for rebuilding a Kanger coil. See if anything rings a bell there: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...20-kanger-protank-rebuild-33.html#post9844874

I just read through those steps...and it is all what i do. BUT the part where you bend the two leads....the first wire gets bent that 90 degrees...then i put the rubber part in with the 2nd wire sticking up...and instead of bending this one there over the rubber part....i put the metal part in and then bend it at the top and snip it off. i followed the instructions from a youtube video and that is what the guy did is this bad?? or does it matter?

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
I just read through those steps...and it is all what i do. BUT the part where you bend the two leads....the first wire gets bent that 90 degrees...then i put the rubber part in with the 2nd wire sticking up...and instead of bending this one there over the rubber part....i put the metal part in and then bend it at the top and snip it off. i followed the instructions from a youtube video and that is what the guy did is this bad?? or does it matter?

Having not seen the video - dunno. The bottom line is one leg is on the outside of the center post insulator, the other leg is on the inside and between the insulator and the metal center post. Nothing goes through the hole in the metal center post itself.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Maybe have a look at this thread: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/clearomizers/404174-evod-protank-head-rebuild.html as it has lots of pics, and is pretty well done. (Although you can wick as you wind the coil, you don't have to thread it later, although that's a good option if using cotton or rayon.) There are variations on how to actually wind the coil, but the pics showing the kanthal through the parts are really well done.

Only thing he doesn't do it meter it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread