Help an old vaper stock up

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrtuna

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2010
Las Vegas, Nevada
Okay folks can you guys help me out. I quit smoking and started vaping when this all started. Now I just vape with a basic one 18650 VW temp control type device with a tank that uses replaceable coils at around 45 watts. I have know that government control of vaping in the US was a matter of time but it looks like a need to stock up because the nanny state and big tobacco money has caught up to us. I'm on a fixed income so I can't go out and buy tons of gear and juice making supplies so if you guys can give me some guidance I would appreciate it. I have not smoked since the second week of vaping my original 510 device back when the first mods were being experimented with.

Thanks for your help!

Jdurand

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2014
Long Island, NY
First off don't worry too much. You still have time to do this. I would learn to use a simple rebuildable tank and ditch the factory coil systems. That has to be your choice, but it is as economical as it gets. Mixing supplies is not really an issue. Most if not all will be available for a long time. Nicotine is where you need to start. Depending on what strength juice you vape, a liter of 100mg/ml can last a very long time. Two hundred bucks spent now could keep you vaping, no matter what, for the rest of your life.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Okay folks can you guys help me out. I quit smoking and started vaping when this all started. Now I just vape with a basic one 18650 VW temp control type device with a tank that uses replaceable coils at around 45 watts. I have know that government control of vaping in the US was a matter of time but it looks like a need to stock up because the nanny state and big tobacco money has caught up to us. I'm on a fixed income so I can't go out and buy tons of gear and juice making supplies so if you guys can give me some guidance I would appreciate it. I have not smoked since the second week of vaping my original 510 device back when the first mods were being experimented with.

Thanks for your help!
My stockpile and my daily vape are in the signiture area below. I decided to stock for a high likelihood of going 10 years and a good chance of going longer. My cost for what I think I need is $650. A $50 bottle of 100mg nic should last me 4 years (it contains 100,000 mg of nic). I vape about 5 ml of liquid per day with 10 mg of nic per ml. Like you I use temp control devices. I'm stocking Pico's, my favorite, and also some vtc mini's just in case the pico's don't hold up as long as i'm hoping. I figure one of these mods should stand 2 years of continuous service. Bought from fasttech they are very affordable. If you want to be truely prepared there should be rebuildable atomizers in your stockpile. My choice is also what I vape exclusively, the SV rda clone. I bought 10 for $7 each. They have a low parts count, are simple and durable. If you have adequate supplies of nic, atomizers and mods everything else is generic. The budget can be in the hundreds, not thousands of dollars.

There is some evidence that the oled screens on the regulated mods may have a 10 year shelf life. The pico's and vtc mini's can take an open source firmware, available for download, that allows seeing settings on a PC screen. I would use that firmware to confirm settings then lock the buttons. I'll download and store the fiirmware but won't ugrade devices unless and until government interferes with products. The other possibility is the screens are generic and will remain available indefinitely and any good electronics repair guy can swap them for you if needed.

May be we won't need stockpiles so don't go overboard. I rest easier knowing i can keep vaping for years regardless of government. Also, you can get rebuildable atomizers and nic concentrate and not rely on them until your preferred products become unavailable. But I would be rebuilding and mixiing regardless of the government or cost saving.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona

Thanks for your help!
Step 1. Get a few liters of Nicotine

Step 2. Get something Rebuildable. I chose the short i Kayfun clone in my avatar. In my blog is a parts list for it..

Step 3. Get spare. Mods that are cheap but very good i love the istick Pico tge eVic VTC Mini is also good.

You can have as much as 18 months to get tge mods snd attysy.

Nicotine get that immediately. USPS has been rumbling they will not ship 100mg/ml nicotine.

My little Kayfun cost about $6 but every part is replaceable.

Base, barrel, bell cap, O rings, screws for trapping leads, drip tip.

My coils last about 3 months, snd cost about two cents

I replace wick wben it tastes like wet carpet smells

I get PG by the quart no need to prep it.
I get VG by tge gallon. No need to prep it either.

I DIY EJUICE and 30 ml of DIY Ejuice costs about $1.50.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
If you decide to start getting mods, factory coils, various tanks, etc....a good place to start buying them at very good prices, IMO, is RockyMountainVapor. They're still running a 30% off coupon code using the code word "turkey" at Checkout.

They have the Eleaf Pico 75W Mod on sale for $30 now, but with the 30% off coupon code it's only $21.00 with Free S/H on any order of $14 or more! That's a super deal on the Pico and many have bought them there after I've posted about the great price! RMV is a reputable vendor, with fast shipping, authentic products, and prices that are very hard to beat when using that code.

Here's a link to go take a look at the Pico 75W mod:

Eleaf iStick PICO Simple Kit - $30.00 : Rocky Mountain Vapor, The Mountain top of Electronic Cigarettes

You might also want to take a peek at any tanks, factory coils, etc., that interest you now too, while you're there. Hard to tell how long that 30% off coupon will be good. It's been running and still good since Thanksgiving!

I definitely agree that getting some nicotine base IS the most important thing right now though. Maybe get a liter of it now and a couple of the Picos while they're $21 each?

Rickb119

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
Greeley, CO, USA
Reactions: 57chilicat

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Getting to the heart of the matter, get some nic in the freezer. The nic I'm mixing with for the past year came from myfreedomsmokes.com ($50) The smart way to buy it is in 100mg concentration in 1 liter bottles. I prefer PG solution. For long term storage I transfer to 1 liter amber glass bottles. When it's time to open I transfer to 4 250 ml amber glass bottles to mix from. Freezing is prudent, the nic potency might fade faster if you don't but nic may last for years at room temperature too. The bottles i keep in the freezer are labeled, put in a zip lock bag, wrapped in thin bubble wrap, put in a second zip lock bag and taped. that way if you break the bottle someday the nic might not penetrate the second zip lock bag and may be you'll be able to salvage most of it.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
And while they still have a "few" left. Only white and silver available, at this moment. (Black shows out of stock when added to the cart.)

Yeah they are going fast, thanks to @JCinFLA (thanks JC). I got a black one yesterday.

And OP, I second what other people have said. Get some nicotine first. Everything else is likely to be available for a while but nic could be shut down any time. Maybe it won't, but I wouldn't take the chance of waiting. I believe you can get a liter for around $50, and that could last you for years depending on your vaping habits. You could pick up the rest of the mixing stuff later when you have a bit of money saved up. It would probably pay for itself in no time through the money you save on buying juice.

RainSong

An adult who likes flavors.
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2016
Tempe, Arizona, United States
I'm starting my stockpile too right about now, my number one priority is nicotine. I'll feel a lot better when I have a couple liters in the freezer. After that I'll work on RTAs/RDAs and mods. I try to keep my spending to what I would have spent on smokes per week/month or less. I also have a limited income and don't have the resources to just buy a bunch of stuff in a go, but little by little we'll get there. Hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
Lithium ion 18650,, FDA started a Q/A on the safety aspects of said cells..

Worth noting that they are likely only addressing the use of those cells in vaping devices, not the safety of lithium ion batteries. They want to restrict vaping to internal battery mods and get rid of replaceable battery mods, so they are fishing for whatever they can use to justify that.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
Even though I live in Canada I also did a bunch of stocking up on nicotine since from past experience the government usually not accurate on their dates. Nic has been and always be a grey area up here and now the government is drafting laws and restrictions that could go into effect at anytime, nevermind them saying XXX date laws will be enforced. PG and VG will always be for sale since there is many other applications that use them. Batteries also have other applications so they will always be around. Flavorings up here will be considered "kid appealing" so they are trying to put generic plain labeling with out flavor contents on eliquids thinking kids can't read or their sense of smell isn't accurate. IMO..its going to be the tobacco based flavorings that are going to disappear, hard to find or go underground and become expensive. I can go NET if need be but I still stocked up plenty on my Hangsen tobac concentrates(almost overboard).
Break the nic down into smaller colored glass bottles, the flavorings I removed from the plastic jugs and put into glass and I froze them all. As long as they are handled properly in the freezer both should last for years.
Vape gear is another story...I don't know whats going to happen with gear in both the US and Canada but assumption leads me to believe gear is going to vanish also or be regulated so badly that were going to end up vaping gas station prefilled pens that are sponsored by the tobacco companies.
No matter how its read, the laws that are being passed and the taxing. After all the dust settles there will be no happy ending for vaping and thats sad.

Reactions: RainSong

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Thanks for your help!
Old vaper here too. 3 item categories to consider.
Juice:
Suggest DIY. My guess there will always be flavors available . Nic ?--- Maybe the biggest availability problem. I found I don't need it, too much hassle for what it's worth to me.
Atomizer:
RDA's are as bullet proof as you can get when it comes to longevity in use. RDA's being cheap and using wire, rayon (in my case) should be easy to obtain through the mail. I suspect/hope that there would be no law against selling a lump of RDA metal (might be hard to enforce), anyway, I have a half dozen or so.
Battery:
If I was really frightened I would get hold of a couple of mech. mods.. I think these devices are probably going to be grandfathered anyway. Batteries should be available.
Hopefully:
Draft law to save vaping gathers steam in Congress - Vaping.com - Your One Stop Vapor Shop
Reform FDA’s Deeming Regulations in First 100 Days of Trump Administration | Americans for Tax Reform

Reactions: RainSong

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Thanks a bunch! This gives me a good plan. I haven't been rebuilding attys out of laziness. I will order some nic today.
Having nic in the freezer brings peace of mind. Ditto for learning to mix juice and rebuild atties; even if you elect not to use those skills now, it's good to know you have them if you should need them.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Worth noting that they are likely only addressing the use of those cells in vaping devices, not the safety of lithium ion batteries. They want to restrict vaping to internal battery mods and get rid of replaceable battery mods, so they are fishing for whatever they can use to justify that.

Yup. And look how well internal batteries worked out for Samsung with the Note 7. But there are billions of phones and no one would ever give them up for some rare occurrence. Oh, wait, even a reliable iPhone can blow up in someone's pocket!Finally proof that Apple copies Samsung: iPhone 7 Plus halts, catches fire like a Galaxy Note 7

How come the FCC isn't out there pulling all these dangerous cellphone things out of people's pockets. Let people go back to using a payphone that's wired in as those were much safer!:rolleyes:

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
And while they still have a "few" left. Only white and silver available, at this moment. (Black shows out of stock when added to the cart.)
I'm getting just the opposite,on the page the black says out of stock,but it shows silver in stock,when i add them to my cart,the black doesn't say out of stock,but the silver says stock available 0,i'm confused haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread