Help! Burnt taste, looking for cause...ohms maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am currently using an iTaste MVP battery with a KangerTech Aerotank as my primary unit. I have been using it for about 8 months, but lately I have noticed a nasty burnt taste fairly frequently, and it's frustrating. I used to set it on U 4.0 and P 8.5, but lately have been fiddling with those numbers trying to get rid of the burnt taste. When I go to the vape shop, I simply ask for refill cartomizers and they sell me a box. I checked old boxes, and it appears the ohms they have been selling me are all different. Could this be the problem? What ohms should I be getting?
Sometimes it's fine for a while - and then suddenly, YUCK.
Thanks, I appreciate your help.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
HI Zenthe,

First, with a VV/VW device, you select which mode to use, either variable volts OR watts. You can't set both. So pick one mode and stay in that mode until you're comfortable with the device. Many of us prefer VW mode - and the MVP will then show you the watts you've set and the voltage it's using to get there. If you go with VV mode, it will show you the voltage set and the actual watts it's delivering.

In either case, start your vaping with a new coil at the low end and work up slowly to taste. If you hit a new coil with high power right after filling, you do run the risk fo burning / singing the wick - and getting the bad taste. (BTW, the replacement coils for your device are not cartomizers. They are called, variously, coils or heads. Cartomizers are an entirely different animal :) )

For consistency - which makes your experience simpler - try to get your coils in the same value. Then you know pretty much the power setting you want to end up at. I like to keep mine (and build mine) around 1.8 Ω, but we all have different wants, needs, and taste, so don't take that as a "rule."

And drawing too fast and/or too hard can also cause the topper to be unable to wick juice fast enough to stay wet. If it dries for a sec while drawing, you'll also get that bad taste. I find slow (and maybe long :) ) and gentle draws to be most effective to keep me happy.

ElConquistador

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2013
Oklahoma
Do you get the burned taste with a brand new coil, or do you start getting it after a few days. If it's after a few days, it's probably due to the coil "gunking up" with burned juice. When I was using clearomizers, I finally ended up doing a rotation...one in use, one soaking in alcohol, and one drying out.

After a day or two, I dropped the used head in a little vial of alcohol (some recommend using Vodka or Everclear) and let it soak for a day, then rinse it well with water and set it aside to dry for a day. Alcohol doesn't clean it like a dry-burn, but it does help clean a little of the gunk off the coil, you can see that it's dissolved some of the crud because the alcohol gets dirty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread