Status
Not open for further replies.

Stacy1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2014
Brunswick,GA,USA
I've read a few threads on the difference between certain batteries, and for whatever reason it just doesn't click for me. My standard vape style is single or dual builds measuring .5ohms give or take a little, usually somewhere between 25-35 watts. Mods are Reo grands and RDAs for home and a Kanger kbox and subbox mini topped with kanger subtanks for work. I purchased 18650 AW IMR batteries from RTD in the beginning. I have a couple of the 2000mah, and a couple of the 2200mah. Problem is I'm not getting a lot of battery life. I work 12hr shifts and during a typical work day have to change batteries out in both work devices. I purchased some 18650 2200 batteries from the classifieds a few days ago and they won't even fit in any of my mods. I need new batteries yesterday, and don't want to throw anymore money away without some suggestions. I'm looking for the max life between charges I can get, that is safe for my builds in both the mechs and protected devices. Not worried about what they cost at this point. Tried to save on price last week, and might as well have thrown twenty bucks in the trash. Any help is appreciated

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
The problem is, at 35 watts on a full charge 4.2 volts, you're drawing 8.33 amps. This, IMHO, is pushing a ten amp battery a tad. The other problem is, the higher drain the battery is rated for, the lower the total capacity. FWIW, if you're willing to risk it and will pay the $11 price, Orbtronic has some 3500 mAh 10A batteries in the Orb brand. Most people generally consider that pretty trustworthy. PMing you a link.

Captain Pegleg

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2015
Arkansas
I use LG HE2s in my kbox mini, I vape around the same wattage you do. Today I was at half-charged at 4 PM, fwiw. If I am home all day and outside a lot, my batteries last about 6 hours, I'm a Heavy chain vaper outside though. I also recharge them before the "low batt" warning so they might last longer. I also sometimes use 45 watts with another tank.

20amp continuous rating on these, so totally safe for 0.5 ohm builds (what I like best). My recommendation, ma'am!

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
LG he4s and Samsung 25Rs are great. Both 20 amp cdr and 2500 mAh, and last longer than many higher rated batteries. I recently got some 3000 mAh Samsung 30Qs and I'm loving them thus far. They hold up well in the 25-35w range and last quite a bit longer than the he4s and 25Rs. They're 15 amp batteries, but Mooch here in the battery forum tested them and they hold up well at 20 amps as well (hold capacity well and don't get too hot).

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mooch

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
LG he4s and Samsung 25Rs are great. Both 20 amp cdr and 2500 mAh, and last longer than many higher rated batteries. I recently got some 3000 mAh Samsung 30Qs and I'm loving them thus far. They hold up well in the 25-35w range and last quite a bit longer than the he4s and 25Rs. They're 15 amp batteries, but Mooch here in the battery forum tested them and they hold up well at 20 amps as well (hold capacity well and don't get too hot).

Also, when you're using a regulated mod the resistance of the coil doesn't factor into the amp draw, only wattage and battery charge level do (lower battery charge = higher amp drain). Check steam-engine.org if you want to calculate how many amps you use.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I've read a few threads on the difference between certain batteries, and for whatever reason it just doesn't click for me. My standard vape style is single or dual builds measuring .5ohms give or take a little, usually somewhere between 25-35 watts. Mods are Reo grands and RDAs for home and a Kanger kbox and subbox mini topped with kanger subtanks for work. I purchased 18650 AW IMR batteries from RTD in the beginning. I have a couple of the 2000mah, and a couple of the 2200mah. Problem is I'm not getting a lot of battery life. I work 12hr shifts and during a typical work day have to change batteries out in both work devices. I purchased some 18650 2200 batteries from the classifieds a few days ago and they won't even fit in any of my mods. I need new batteries yesterday, and don't want to throw anymore money away without some suggestions. I'm looking for the max life between charges I can get, that is safe for my builds in both the mechs and protected devices. Not worried about what they cost at this point. Tried to save on price last week, and might as well have thrown twenty bucks in the trash. Any help is appreciated

Stacy, I don't know if you have any experience with reading battery discharge curves, but if you do you'll get some good information from this: Comparison of AW IMR 18650-2200 (2015), Panasonic NCR18650PF, LG ICR18650HE2, Samsung SDI INR18650-25R, Sony VTC4, Sony VTC5.

You're interested in vape time on a charge as opposed to maximum amps. These charts show voltage under load, so battery voltage when you fire the mod for a few seconds. I believe most regulated mods will fire down to around 3.0V under load. For mech mods, if you replace the battery at say 3.6V on your meter, that is probably between 3.2-3.3V under load for you.

First off, make sure the graph is set to 5 amps. I think my link will take you to that but I'm not sure. This website doesn't allow more than 5A to be displayed or I would have preferred to use around 10A for your combined applications (mech and regulated).

Hover your mouse over any point on any curve and you'll see which battery that refers to, the voltage and the number of hits the battery has achieved. IMO the best bets for you between these batteries are the Sony VTC5 and the Samsung 25R with the LG HE2 in a real close third position. The 2900 mAh Panasonic does surprisingly well specially at the end, but it is a low amp battery and may not last as many charge cycles as the rest (but don't quote me on that, I have not tested them ;)). IMO the AW and the VTC4 come in last for your two applications.

OTOH, you're not going to get a huge difference in time per charge from any of these batteries, specially if you combine mech mod use with regulated appcliations. If I were in your situation I would chose between the VTC5 and the 25R.

You can get the VTC5's for $10 each at Illumn. They also have the 25R's for $5 each. Where you buy them from is important so you avoid counterfeits (don't buy form Ebay or Amazon), but this price range is I think about what you'll find for these from most reputable suppliers.

You can also plug in any other batteries listed on that website and see how they perform relative to each other.

Reactions: Baditude

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015

Ryedan has recommended some good cells.
    If you're vaping at under 40W though, I highly recommend either the Samsung 30Q or LG HG2 battery. They are both 3000mAh and are almost identical in performance. These are the longest lasting batteries for 20A and under vaping, like your setups, that I have tested. I haven't tested AW cells, so I can only estimate, but the 30Q or HG2 should last at least 30% longer in your mechs and regulated mods. I don't know if this will be long enough to get you through the day without changing batteries. :)

As Ryedan mentioned though, be sure to purchase them from a reliable vendor!

Last edited:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    If you're vaping at under 40W though, I highly recommend either the Samsung 30Q or LG HG2 battery.

These two batteries are so new I had not looked at them yet, nor are they in the database I linked to. From your data I get around a 11% increase in run time in regulated mods and around 20% in mech mods. Good stuff Mooch :thumb:

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    These two batteries are so new I had not looked at them yet, nor are they in the database I linked to. From your data I get around a 11% increase in run time in regulated mods and around 20% in mech mods. Good stuff Mooch :thumb:

Thanks for doing those calcs!
    I think a lot of people will be switching over to them as they become better known and more testing is posted.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks for doing those calcs!
    I think a lot of people will be switching over to them as they become better known and more testing is posted.

You're welcome Mooch, but please don't quote me on those numbers. I got them from a quick look at the charts and accuracy was not foremost on my mind, I just wanted a rough estimate for myself and was surprised by the amount of difference ;)

I agree a lot of people are going to be using these batteries. The good thing is you've also tested the VTC5 and 25R which are I think roughly the next in line at 10-15 amps (which was what I looked at) which means people can see the results of testing all of them the same way on the same test setup :thumb:

Stacy1

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 6, 2014
    Brunswick,GA,USA

I just ordered 2 of each of these from RTD vapor. Thanks again for the help

Reactions: Ryedan
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread