Status
Not open for further replies.

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2016
Florida
I'm just starting to stockpile and need advice. I have read all the posts on the subject and it seems to me coils and nic are the two most important things to stockpile? And for how many years' worth? I've seen 2-10 mentioned.

Right now I use a new Provari and i have a TW Curve for backup. Should I be buying another of each? I read in a post that Provape might have a hard time staying alive under the new rules.

What is the reason to stockpile tanks and coils? Is it because they are expected to rise in price dramatically in August? Or some other reason?

And that brings me to the nicotine issue. The local shop where I buy my juice adds the nic in it for me but I'm worried about what will happen starting in August. It's a small local business. I wonder if it will even be able to survive the new rules. Right now I still need 12mg nic and working my way down. Seeing as I cant do without a good TH I doubt I'll be able to go below 4-6mg. I dont want a government type telling me, AGAIN, what I can and cannot do so I think I better buy some while I can. Is Wizard Labs still the best place?

What exactly do the new regs say? Do they want to regulate vaping the same as they do cigs?

Reactions: bnrkwest

Bob Chill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
Sans Nom, USA
Nic is the single most important item for the long term. It's cheap and easy to get. There are 100k miligrams in a liter of 100mg nic. Just multiply your mls per day x strength and divide that into 100k and see how many days a liter will last.

Hardware will be available for a while unless your state drops the hammer.

Vandal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2009
NE Ohio
Nicotine first and foremost, yes. You can purchase various strengths up to 100mg in PG or VG base from a few online vendors. I have purchased several liters of 100mg in VG base.

As far as hardware, stocking up is good idea as vendors may start closing up shop or stuff will just be selling out. Since hardware will be considered tobacco products, the states may also tax the heck out of it all.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
All good advice. first, nic. Without that, nothing else will be of use if you're relying on this to keep you from smoking. A few mods to power your stuff. Whatever you're financially comfortable with, but get stuff with replaceable batteries. Mods with non-replaceable batteries will be useless when they eventually can no longer hold a charge. Tanks are also needed. If you only use factory coils, well, buy a lot of them and stock up (not my particular favorite option).

Or, learn to make your own and get some quality RTAs to rebuild. Actually cheaper in the long run than factory coils, and quite easy once you're used to it. Some replacement parts for them for the inevitable broken glass.

All the other stuff, wire, cotton/rayon for wicks, o rings, screws, batteries, and assorted stuff will always be available as they are not used only for vaping. VG and PG should remain relatively available as well for the same reasons for mixing your own juice out of all the nic you bought.

That's really the most basic shopping list you can work from. You can get as deeply invested as you see fit and financially capable (it does add up, but you'll make the money back when you're self sufficient and no longer buying all that stuff). Some folks are adding mech mods as well, as there is little in them to fail without any electronics, other than the fire switch. You can buy some simple electronic kicks for them for a bit of safety protection, however learn how to use them safely before attempting.

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Nic for sure. That should be your #1 priority.

A few $29.95 Provari 2.5's might be a good idea as well.

Mods/tanks? One could argue that Craigslist and eBay will be chock full of used cheap vaping hardware when NIC is unavailable and/or juice gets stupidly expensive. I personally love Kayfuns, Kabukis, Crowns and Subtanks, so I bought a few of each.

I stocked up on everything except PG/VG, batteries, cotton and flavouring. All off these (and wire/o-rings) will be available no matter how vaping is regulated.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
I'm just starting to stockpile and need advice. I have read all the posts on the subject and it seems to me coils and nic are the two most important things to stockpile? And for how many years' worth? I've seen 2-10 mentioned.

Right now I use a new Provari and i have a TW Curve for backup. Should I be buying another of each? I read in a post that Provape might have a hard time staying alive under the new rules.

What is the reason to stockpile tanks and coils? Is it because they are expected to rise in price dramatically in August? Or some other reason?

And that brings me to the nicotine issue. The local shop where I buy my juice adds the nic in it for me but I'm worried about what will happen starting in August. It's a small local business. I wonder if it will even be able to survive the new rules. Right now I still need 12mg nic and working my way down. Seeing as I cant do without a good TH I doubt I'll be able to go below 4-6mg. I dont want a government type telling me, AGAIN, what I can and cannot do so I think I better buy some while I can. Is Wizard Labs still the best place?

What exactly do the new regs say? Do they want to regulate vaping the same as they do cigs?
First thing get nicotine base while you still can

Next get mods that use external batteries

Next get RDAs and RTAs so you can rebuild

Nexf get flavors for your DIY juice.

You may consider sone resistance wire.

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
I have about 50-55 RTAs, some I have multiples of because I really liked them. Those, I focused on. I went through and chose what was needed to keep those groups going for the long term. Tank glass, o-rings, screws, etc. is what I went after.

I also researched different screws and o-rings and filled in some that I thought I might want. I know that o-rings and mini-screws will be available no matter what, but I feel better. But, some RTAs have proprietary o-rings and they may not be available. Good to inspect the troops. :)

For mods, I have my current ones, but being regulated and technical, I added several quality regulated mods because that is my general preference. I have a mech squonker and a couple of BF atties. I got another squonker and upped my BF atties to six. I have a regular mech tube and my RDAs will work with it.

Nic, obviously, is needed. I use so little of it, but, I still got some.

If threatened, I still have the bunker to move into. Just so everyone knows...:grr:

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2016
Florida
Thanks everyone. My biggest challenge here is the nic. I still need to figure out how much to add to my juice but that can wait. Right now I need to buy it. The best price I googled was from My Freedom Smokes at $65.99 for a liter of 100mg. Do you all have any suggestions for a less expensive place?

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Thanks everyone. My biggest challenge here is the nic. I still need to figure out how much to add to my juice but that can wait. Right now I need to buy it. The best price I googled was from My Freedom Smokes at $65.99 for a liter of 100mg. Do you all have any suggestions for a less expensive place?
I checked MFS 100mg nic, still $50 a liter. Everybody perceives their needs differently. Here's how I figured it.

I vape 7ml per day X 10mg nic = 70mg nic per day x 365 days = 25,550 mg nic per year. A one liter bottle of 100mg nic has 100,000mg of nic / 25,550 = 3.9 years. Three liters will last me about 11 years allowing for some loss. I use only one atomizer, the SV rda clone from FT (abt $9 each). One of them migh last 10 years but I'll have 10.

I do only temp control at 400 degrees and 30 max watts. Single cell mods will do. My favorites are the Pico and VTC mini. I've decided I shouldn't expect more than 2 years of continuous service so 5 Picos. But what if I'm too optimistic and there is some problem? Okay, redundancy, 5 VTC minis. I'll probably add a redundant nic supply from a different supplier. My expectation is 10 years but if the nic and mods last longer than expected may be I'll get half again or even double if I reduce daily nic. All that can be done for well under $1000. If I don't spend too much on the stockpile I'll still have some money left just in case newer mods are available somehow. There is a bunch of miscellaneous bits and peices to get, not much money from FT.

Don't let stockpiling get out of hand. There's no such thing as forever.

Vandal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2009
NE Ohio
MFS sells nic in glass and plastic bottles. The glass is $65 and plastic is $50. For long term storage, nic should be stored in glass, in a freezer preferably. You could buy it in glass and store as is or in plastic and purchase some glass bottles. MFS sells them, or you could get them through Amazon or a glass bottle outlet. You'd want amber Boston rounds.

I went ahead and purchased 2 liters in glass bottles and stored them. Then later I purchased more liters in plastic and bought 250mL bottles to divvy up the liters, for easier storage and retrieval. You'd want polycone caps, which it looks like MFS doesn't sell. You could purchase those elsewhere, maybe on Amazon. Polycone caps will give you the best seal.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
Your eJuice calculator will tell how much flavor, VG PG, and nicotine to add

You calculator will ask the size bottle you want to make. Tge strength nicotine you want, the VG AND PG ratio of the nicotine, and tge flavors, then spit out a formula that will look something like this.

X.xx ml nicotine
X.xx ml flavor #1
X.xx ml flavor #2
Xx.xx ml VG
Xx.xx ml PG

Use various syringes to witgdraw that much of ingredients in a bottle.

Two pieces advice.

1. Start making small batches because you will make things you can't stand to vape. Better to toss 5-10 ml than 30+ ml.

2. Record all the recipes. In three sections of your log.

Section 1. Fantastic recipe.
Section 2, good but i think it can be better with some tweaks.
Section 3. Terrible. Never want to waste product making thus again.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
I checked MFS 100mg nic, still $50 a liter. Everybody perceives their needs differently. Here's how I figured it.

I vape 7ml per day X 10mg nic = 70mg nic per day x 365 days = 25,550 mg nic per year. A one liter bottle of 100mg nic has 100,000mg of nic / 25,550 = 3.9 years. Three liters will last me about 11 years allowing for some loss. I use only one atomizer, the SV rda clone from FT (abt $9 each). One of them migh last 10 years but I'll have 10.

I do only temp control at 400 degrees and 30 max watts. Single cell mods will do. My favorites are the Pico and VTC mini. I've decided I shouldn't expect more than 2 years of continuous service so 5 Picos. But what if I'm too optimistic and there is some problem? Okay, redundancy, 5 VTC minis. I'll probably add a redundant nic supply from a different supplier. My expectation is 10 years but if the nic and mods last longer than expected may be I'll get half again or even double if I reduce daily nic. All that can be done for well under $1000. If I don't spend too much on the stockpile I'll still have some money left just in case newer mods are available somehow. There is a bunch of miscellaneous bits and peices to get, not much money from FT.

Don't let stockpiling get out of hand. There's no such thing as forever.
I would recommend $500-1000. Don't go from a stockpile to a hoarder.

Get only the stuff you think you will use.

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2016
Florida
Sigh!!! I'm afraid small shops like the one I frequent wont be able to afford to stay in business. I suppose there might be a Marlboro vape juice in the market some day. :(

I guess I better seriously consider an RTA but even though I have read up everything I can find on them and watched the videos I need your advice. Right now I have enough ready made coils to last me for several months. I would like to buy an RTA to have on hand for after all this crap happens next month. I suppose I dont have to worry about wire and cotton since they are not used for vaping exclusively.

I am an MTL vaper. Not into clouds - TH & flavor are more important to me. My current juice is 50/50. I use 1.5 ohms coils @ 3.5v on a provari. I would like to maintain this with an RTA that I build, put the juice in the tank and be done. I can afford a moderate price. What do you think about the Bellus RTA or the icloudcig moradin?

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
MFS sells nic in glass and plastic bottles. The glass is $65 and plastic is $50. For long term storage, nic should be stored in glass, in a freezer preferably. You could buy it in glass and store as is or in plastic and purchase some glass bottles. MFS sells them, or you could get them through Amazon or a glass bottle outlet. You'd want amber Boston rounds.

I went ahead and purchased 2 liters in glass bottles and stored them. Then later I purchased more liters in plastic and bought 250mL bottles to divvy up the liters, for easier storage and retrieval. You'd want polycone caps, which it looks like MFS doesn't sell. You could purchase those elsewhere, maybe on Amazon. Polycone caps will give you the best seal.
I didn't notice MSF has a glass bottle option. I bought their empty amber glass bottles and repackaged myself. I have one liter divided up into 250ml bottles. When all four are empty I'll transfer the next liter to 250 ml bottles. It takes me a year to empty a 250ml bottle.
I would recommend $500-1000. Don't go from a stockpile to a hoarder. Get only the stuff you think you will use.
That's why I picked 10 years for a time period. May be my stash will last longer. May be we won't need all this stuff after all.

2 years is a good amount of time for more evidence in our favor. The evidence related to kids is looking very promising.
NYTS%2B2011-2014.png

The data that gets my attention is the percent of kids who smoke tobacco cigarettes only (in dark blue at the bottom). That number is plunging. People who vape smoke less. People who never stop vaping eventually stop smoking. I'm sure most of the kids represented in the graph are experimenting, not daily smokers, so the decline in kids who are daily smokers should start to show up in the statistics.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
Sigh!!! I'm afraid small shops like the one I frequent wont be able to afford to stay in business. I suppose there might be a Marlboro vape juice in the market some day. :(

I guess I better seriously consider an RTA but even though I have read up everything I can find on them and watched the videos I need your advice. Right now I have enough ready made coils to last me for several months. I would like to buy an RTA to have on hand for after all this crap happens next month. I suppose I dont have to worry about wire and cotton since they are not used for vaping exclusively.

I am an MTL vaper. Not into clouds - TH & flavor are more important to me. My current juice is 50/50. I use 1.5 ohms coils @ 3.5v on a provari. I would like to maintain this with an RTA that I build, put the juice in the tank and be done. I can afford a moderate price. What do you think about the Bellus RTA or the icloudcig moradin?

Thanks everyone.
In all honesty BeaO i woukd avoid the Bellus like tge plague.

From your description of the way you prefer to vape i would recommend the Kayfun lite plus
Or The Taifun GT-II.

Resistance is determined by the length of the wire in the coil.

I use 26 gauge Kanthal, and a 2 mm coil diameter each wrap is about .1 ohms.

If you want a1.2 ohm 12-13 wraps.

If yoy use a 2.4 mm coil use maybe 9-10 wraps.

Or you can use 28 gauge with 8-9 wraps.

Reactions: Bea-FL

ScandaLeX

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
PhiLLy

What about for those of us that have blue bottles? They cant be used to store nic?

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
What about for those of us that have blue bottles? They cant be used to store nic?
I kinda think you were pulling his leg :D amber is good, blue is good and I even have some of mine in clear. I wrap ALL of my bottles of nic in aluminum foil so in my case color really doesn't matter. The most important thing is, they need to be Glass.

@BeaO check out My Blogs as to how I store my nicotine Just scroll down to how I store it and also further down to how I mix it. Hopefully it will help you a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread