Status
Not open for further replies.

ScandaLeX

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
PhiLLy
Thanks for the invitation Two Bears - maybe some day I will but not likely anytime soon. In the meantime maybe I'll start a new thread about a class for coiling.
Youtube is a wealth of knowledge. Just type in the coil you'd like to rebuild, sit back & learn. You can actually do it along with the video you're watching....pause & play as necessary. Best classroom I ever had.
The thought of getting started building your own coils may seem daunting but once you do you'll amaze yourself & wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

ScandaLeX

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
PhiLLy
Maybe in my earlier posts I should've made it more clear what I meant by the different coils I'd ordered. My terminology may not have been the common wording used for them.

By ready-made coils, I meant the factory produced coils that come blister-packed and in a box of 5...totally ready to use. Those I ordered a few boxes of (the OCC ones) for my SubTank Minis.

When I said premade coils, (which I suggeted to Bea-FL), I meant I'd ordered boxes of the already wrapped coils (not wicked yet)...that I'd need to wick in order to use. It's those that I ordered 2 boxes of 100, in 1.5 and 1.8ohms. Got those for use in the STMs RBA deck and a few RDAs I got.

Since several others have said they also use the 2nd kind above...I don't see what's wrong with using them. If I feel more comfortable with them, rather than totally making coils from scratch, why the recommendations of not using them?
The be careful what you buy outta China post seemed to have morphed recently. I don't know why people are projecting their fears onto others. There's nothing wrong at all using what you bought. People have been using them long before this whole stocking thing became a priority without issues.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
One thing to consider in this glass vs plastic for long term storage is plastic will allow oxygen to get to your nicotine. Glass won't.

Depends on the plastic used. Me? I'd rather have glass for long term storage, but I do understand that with proper plastic containers, any difference might turn out unimportant.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
Youtube is a wealth of knowledge. Just type in the coil you'd like to rebuild, sit back & learn. You can actually do it along with the video you're watching....pause & play as necessary. Best classroom I ever had.
The thought of getting started building your own coils may seem daunting but once you do you'll amaze yourself & wonder why you didn't do it sooner.
Could not agree more.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
Depends on the plastic used. Me? I'd rather have glass for long term storage, but I do understand that with proper plastic containers, any difference might turn out unimportant.
I used plastic because good plastic wont shatter into a thousand pieces the way glass will when cold.

Reactions: ScandaLeX

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2016
Florida
I saved two youtube videos on my PC already. I used to build miniature rooms. I still have the tools. After watching the videos, recoiling seems easy compared to building intricate furniture and home furnishings 1" to 1' scale :rolleyes:.

Thanks for the encouragement.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Yep, it is. Just need to be diligent in making sure you don't have any shorted turns on the coil, and no errant pieces that could short to the case. And, of course, building within the range of your device and battery! Various on-line coil calculators so it's also easy to find out how many turns on what size mandrel of what gauge (and type) wire to get the value you want.

Astron

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2014
Washington
This is exactly what I did...I believe Ruby Roo was my first real mentor. I hit pause and play in between different parts of wrapping the coil. And it's OK if you (or anyone) don't get it done perfectly along with experienced coil builders on the first try, even if you feel like you are taking your time and doing it "exactly" like they are doing it. Like with anything new, it will take practice. :)

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
@Two_Bears I just got my KF lite plus in the mail today. Wow it looks like such fun to put together! Thanks for suggesting it to me.
Glad you like it.

I just wanted you to have an Atty with good flavor, easy to build, and will lsst you 5-10 years with care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread